Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many walls should be painted the same color?

Posted by movinginva (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 23:30

Hello All,

I have posted here before and everyone has been very helpful. I have just finished repainting all my baseboards and trim, and I would like to complete the walls next. My living room as some of you know is small. I am doing a mix of light tan (SW Autumn Haze) and light turquoise (SW Tropical Lagoon)in the room. The wall that runs opposite the window is the hallway to the bedrooms. I would like to paint the wall that runs all the way from the living room towards the bedrooms in light tan, and all other walls (in picture - wall with TV, wall with window, and wall with shelving units, wall with coat closet and wall to right of shelving unit) in the light turquoise. Any thoughts on that or suggestions on color etc? DH and I both like blue quite a bit. I have attached pics so that you can get a sense of how the walls in the room are configured.

Thanks!

Kitchen, which is visible from the living room. I have now painted the trim around that window white.
!IMG_1357

Living room - Ignore the random pieces, I was trying to get a feel for what it would look like with additional pieces in the room. The trim around that window is now white also. The ugly window treatment has also been removed to show the bay window.

!IMG_1380

!IMG_1383

Again, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many walls should be painted the same color?

Rooms need to be decorated all in the same color palette, and the room next to it does not matter. You can select any or all of the 6 colors, plus the neutral color undertone of that color palette. The tan, blue turqouise and white trim are in 2 different color palettes. If you want to make a blue and tan mix, then the blue must have a brown undertone, and is a great color scheme. If you want a blue and white room, then there would be no tan in it. Here is a web page to help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and tan rooms

o

I just want to make sure that I understand because your kitchen pic is throwing me off:

In the 2nd pic the LR will be the light turquoise and the the long hall wall will be light tan?

What color is or will your kitchen walls & cabinets be?

o

@ttodd, yes. I was thinking of painting all the walls except the wall that separates the kitchen from the living room and extends into the hallway, the light tan color. I have a bar that separates the living room from the kitchen, and the kitchen cabinets will remain that honey oak color and the backsplash in the kitchen is dark blue. I am open to repainting the backsplash and the rest of the kitchen walls since I am not super crazy about the color.

Here is a not to scale drawing that will help give a better sense of the layout.

!House_Layout

View of the bar area.
!IMG_1358

Thanks!

o

My take on what you want to do it is to use the wall leading the bedrooms as sort of an accent wall (for lack of a better term) right? I personally don't think there is any fast and steady rule you have to follow, you just need to use colors that will compliment each other and offer balance by reusing the tan color else where in the room. Maybe in the draperies you put up, a rug, pictures or even some pillows on the sofa. The trick is to just keep repeating your color palette over and over in the room.

o

A maximum of all of them, a minimum of none of them.

My living area has several colors: lavender, pink, peach, and yellow. All extremely pale.

o

I guess my concern is making a tiny room look even smaller by doing more than one color. Ideally, I would like to paint the entire room including the hallway in blue. I could be wrong, but I think it will be way too much blue. I guess when I think of hallways, I think of neutral beiges and tans, but the problem with this room is that the hallway wall extends into the living room. Any thoughts?

o

One quick question regarding colors. I have looked at a few pics where 2 different paint colors were used. One below the chair rail, and a different color above. Would doing something like that work for the entire room and the hallway, or will it be too much? Any color suggestions will be appreciated. I will be using SW paint.

Thanks!

o

I don't think that using more than one color will necessarily make the room look smaller. Additionally, the idea that it may be too much blue is more dependent on personal preference AND the color blue you choose. A light blue w/a lot of gray in it, will open up the space and make it feel airy.

I was in a condo the other day that was about 1000 sf and the entire 2 bedroom unit was painted in a similar light blue we have in our own home which is Sherwin Williams Hint Blue. It was was not overwhelming by any means and actually had a very calming effect. It worked as a nice backdrop to the decor she had in the space and I really liked it. Rather than crowned molding, she also did something interesting with the ceiling that helped to accentuate the space IMO. Since these pictures were public, I'm posting a pic of the living room from the listing. I had never seen this done before and thought it opened up the space very nicely. Of course pictures don't always tell the story very well, but it was really nice in person.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

movinginva, sorry I am no help with your color selections, I can not even make a decision for myself--ha ha I would like to ask you about the paint color Autumn Haze, does it read green in anyway??? Would you say it is pretty light in color? My monitor does some crazy stuff with color. This color sure looks good in your home. Good luck with your choices.

o

I played around with the Sherwin Williams website that allows you to paint rooms by uploading a pic of the room. Here is what I came up with. The window frame is of course now white.

!Living Room2

@gagesgranny, I have no idea what color is on the wall right now. I will be repainting it. Autumn haze is a very light tan and to me it seems to have just a slight hint of green in it so I think it will work very well with green.

o

Your particular color ideas aren't my cup of tea (just personal preference) but I like your general idea with the long wall to the bedrooms being painted a different color. I did a similar thing in my house. My house is a traditional Cape style house except it has some odd things going on inside - where in the past would have been a normal doorway is a giant opening between walls, from floor to ceiling. The edges of these walls are not covered in trim, so as it is, I have to make decisions about where one color stops and the next begins. But my biggest issue has been that my kitchen and living share one wall, save for a short (18"-ish) wall perpendicular to the shared wall. This short wall is on one side of the aforementioned giant opening between rooms, jutting between the two rooms.

Initially, I painted all four walls of my living room one color, with the color ending at that short wall, and another color beginning on the other side, in the kitchen, and extending into a hall around the corner. (Hard to picture, but not really relevant to my story. I realized it just looked odd, and so I ended up continuing the kitchen wall color into the living room, painting both the short wall jutting between the two rooms, and both walls perpendicular that short wall. Again, hard to picture. But essentially, three walls of my living room are one color (a sort of creamy yellow... not sure if I love it, simply because at night it can seem dingy) and the fourth wall, which in essence extends into the room next to it, is a second color ("Sag Harbor," a somewhat olive green.) I searched high and low for colors which work well together, and this approach worked. The Sag Harbor wall is the wall next to my central staircase (but it is floor to ceiling, no open banister) and then it extends into the kitchen, and then wraps around a corner into a hallway. So basically, the "core" of the house is this Sag Harbor color, while the exterior walls are a different color.

With an open concept, that's really the only way to go, unless you just paint everything one color. But it usually looks odd to abruptly end one color and begin another (although that depends on the colors, the sizes of the walls, etc..)

In your case, I'd say go for it, but just make sure the colors work well together. They can be dramatically different colors, but they should share some underlying tone so that they don't clash. It can be difficult to get it right. If unsure, you can use a paint company's idea of coordinating colors - Martha Stewart's line, for example, has coordinating colors on the backs of the chips, or those larger pamphlets also usually have ideas.

o
more info...

Oh, too add - my setup is slightly bigger than yours, but not by much. It's oriented a bit differently. I think things actually looks bigger now the way it's done with two different colors... it seems to add some depth. I think it really depends on picking just the right colors, though.

It's a myth that dark colors always make rooms look small, but that can happen if you pick the wrong color. If I were you I might consider painting the living room a light neutral, and then painting the long wall in a coordinating blue shade - nothing too dark - rather than the reverse.

o

@lizzie_nh, do you happen to have any pics so that I can steal some ideas from you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here