Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

antique buffet/dresser. ..all white, or white with black top?

beths96
9 years ago

Quick question: should I paint this all white, or all white with a black top? Thanks for your opinion! !

Comments (22)

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please excuse the range hood on the floor. Still in progress!

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

I'd only add a black top if you are going to add more black elsewhere in the room. Good luck!

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Someone else probably can photoshop this better than I have.

My fav is black top on white but I would consider how you want it to work in the room and how you will be using it. Since its in corner, suspect youd prefer it blend, ie white top.

White top will have it blend it with rest of room, black top will make it stand out as youve no other pieces with such contrast. Dark items can get 'lost' on a black counter top.

Also if you already know or suspect what youll have on top of it, consider how they will look on a whte countertop vs a black one.

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 0:21

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

All white, unless you're planning to add black accents in other areas of the room. It wouldn't 't take a lot~a black lampshade, and chair cushion are enough.

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I love the all-white. I think that's what I'll do. Do you all think that this will work in my dining room? I got it for $30 on Craigslist! Love good deals. :)
    I'll probably put a lamp, a pretty tray, etc. on top. The drawers will be used for storage. During dinners, I plan to possibly clear off the top and use it for extra plates, desserts, etc.

Thanks!
    Beth

• Miz_M
    9 years ago

I'm too late, but wanted to share one we did, with black top. Love yours, and great price!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I hope it's okay to veer off a little here, since this isn't what you asked, butâ¦

I'd try turning the table so that it runs the other way, and put the chest on the fireplace hearth, under the mirror.

And with that arrangement, I would paint the top black in order to contrast some with the white wallâ¦or maybe even another color..gray, taupe, a soft blue?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

What a lovely find! Good luck and please post a follow up.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd prefer it with a black top. It draws your eye to the black lamp in the corner, which otherwise gets lost. Love your dining room, BTW, and congrats on a great deal!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, you know what else is nice is stripping the top down to the wood, staining it, and putting a high-gloss polyurethane on it.

I guess I kinda think you need to break up all that white a little bit. But the room has turned out beautifully. Love the wall color (what is it?).

I remember this room from the first time you posted.

• lemonlime
    9 years ago

Just wanted to say that's a great CL find and a really nice buffet! If you love all white, do all white. Otherwise I like the idea of a softer contrast color like Tibbrix suggested. You could get a sample color and then repaint it white if you don't like it.

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! The wall color is SW Proper Gray. I should post a picture of the living room...but it's not finished. We ordered a couch and two chairs from Wayfair two months ago, and it hasn't all arrived yet (not their fault - the shipping company they used). But anyway, the living room is SW Essential Gray, with this rug from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orian-Rugs-Spirit-Black-5-ft-3-in-x-7-ft-6-in-Area-Rug-272888/204473834?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1-3-_-NA-_-204473834-_-N

So with that black, and the charcoal gray sofa and chairs,
    I thought that I should bring more black into the dining room. This is all new for me. At the last house, I decorated with a lot of red accents. Now, I'm doing more gray, white, black, and turquoise.

Thanks for your help!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Then how about painting the top turquoise?

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replying and offering advice! ! I ended up painting it all bright white. Since all of my furniture is white, it fits nicely. Now here is my next question. I bought a cedar chest yesterday for $75. I already bought two antique end tables for the living room that were two-tone. The legs were gray and top was white. I repainted them basically the same. ...used my gray wall color on the legs and white semi gloss on top. Now I'd like your advice...paint cedar chest the same? White lid, gray sides? All white? Black?? Thank you! Beth

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 2.. tv cabinet in living room

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Corner of living room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The chest is beautiful. The glass knobs are perfect.

Re: the coffee table. You could do the opposite from the end tables, i.e.: gray lid and lower trim, white body and feet.

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The end tables. I haven't put on the drawer pull yet!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the cedar chest should be gray since you have enough white and if black it disappears into the sofa. Therefore, I'd paint the end tables black. Black is nice for small pieces.

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The end tables. I haven't put on the drawer pull yet!

{{!gwi}}

• beths96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Corner of living room.

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling