Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Is anyone else getting the page blocking Lancome ad?

TxMarti
11 years ago

There is no x in the corner to close it, my popup blocker doesn't stop it, and there is nothing I can do except wait for it to time out. It is so annoying I will probably never buy another Lancome product.

Comments (25)

• sloyder
    11 years ago

Yep, I get it to. Just when I was responding to your post it popped up. I will never use it since I am a man.

• beeps
    11 years ago

If you can open your window larger you will see the entire ad and there is an "x" at the top right. It just doesn't show on my screen if I use the window a more standard size. And, yes, it is annoying as heck.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks beeps. I don't think I can open my screen any larger though.

lol sloyd.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

So glad you posted this, marti8a. It is driving me crazy and I thought the same thing- I do buy Lancome products but no more. This ad is working in the reverse of what they are paying for. And I'm not too happy with GW for putting this ad on in this manner also!

(My screen is fully open. Why should I have to adjust it to 200% or 400% to try to find an 'x' and not even sure if that would work.)

• 66and76
    11 years ago

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
    I hate pop up ads!
    The Lancome ad just won't give up, but I can give up on Lancome.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I use Firefox and I never see any ads. Once in awhile I use IE and I am always surprised by all the jiggling, dancing ads. Why put up with that if you don't have to?

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Chrome....AdBlocker..... No Lancome here. Try switching browsers.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

I'm a guy too!

2nd vote here for Firefox!!
    Subscribe (FREE!!!!) to their ad-blocking filters, and you'll have NO ads.
    It's a great browser.

Faron

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm using Firefox and still get that ad. No jiggling ads though although I think I could handle that better than this one.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Safari here. No jiggling, no Lancome, so far.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

And I use Chrome (and I thought AdBlocker), but I still see ad.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Lancome...BE GONE!!!!

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

I hate it so much that when it appears, I simply X myself off the site and stay away for 24 hours.

ARE YOU LISTENING GARDENWEB?

That ad which is something you sold to Lancome is making your heavy users nuts, and makes them leave the site. No eyeballs = no clicks = less revenue. Your other advertisers will not be happy. The Lancome ad is outrageously annoying, since it can come up when any page loads. Click on the forum and the ad appears before it can load; click on a thread, ad appears again; click back to the forum and the same damn thing appears again. It utterly ruins any pleasure in visiting the site.

Thank you, in advance, for 86'ing it.

Since it appeared again when I signed in just now in order to comment, I'm outta here. Hope it's gone forever when I come back.

Liriodendron

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

I'm on Firefox and also getting the ad.

Pop-ups for me are kind of like telemarketers - I have a zero tolerance policy and refuse to participate or purchase. If I can't immediately X out I leave the site.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Are you guys using Firefox's Ad-blockers?

It'll take care of it, but you have to download their "add-in" filter called "Ad-Block".

Faron

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

Add me to the list of those who are annoyed by this! It's just so rude of lancome to put that ad in your face, do they really think that makes you want to go out and buy it??

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

While Garden Web is the host website, Lancome is ultimately responsible for how and when their ads are shown. I went onto their facebook page and posted a complaint about the ads on Garden Web that are very "in your face". Maybe if enough people went on there and mentioned it, they would take notice and do something.

• camlan
    11 years ago

I'm using Firefox with AdBlocker and I'm still getting the Lancome ad.

Very, very annoying.

• duesouth_gw
    11 years ago

To those using Firefox, go to Tools (located on the Firefox toolbar) then click on Options. Open the Content Tab; the first box will say "Block pop-up windows". Make sure the box is checked.

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus (and have the "block" box checked!); I never see ads. I understand the need for advertising but I only have basic DSL (all I can get in my area; until 3 months ago I was on dial-up) and only have so much time on the computer; I refuse to spend my limited online time waiting for ads to load.

Hope this helps.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got the Block pop-up windows checked. How do I find out if I have Adblock Plus running, do you know?

• mellyc123
    11 years ago

I disable java scripts and it helps, I sometimes have to re-enable it for some pages that require logins.

I have completely stopped going to southernhospitalityblog and a few others on my ipad because of the blogher ad.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

marti 8, adblocker plus has an icon on the toolbar with a red stop sign that shows it's working.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks olychick, I guess I don't have that. I did notice that the Lancome ad is smaller today so I hope saypoint and liriodendron's comments did some good.

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

The ad does have an X to close it in the upper right hand corner, but to see it you need to reduce your text size so the ad also shrinks. In Firefox I use Control plus - (minus) a few times. It IS very annoying though - it's cut my visits here short more than once, and has me seriously considering AdBlock. I would say that I am a very heavy user of the site.

I did not notice the Lancome ad was smaller today.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Another with Firefox + AdBlock Plus....
    no ads anywhere!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area