Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2011a

Updates Made - Now What? (pictures included)

newhomeowner2011a
11 years ago

Hi,

I posted a few months ago about whether or not to keep our old patio pavers when we re-did the patio and most people suggested we keep them. We did and outlined them in a different paver since we didn't have enough to make it the size we wanted.

Y'all also advised me about door paint color - still yet to be changed! I am torn between red and white. White isn't very exciting but might make the most sense (plus, as my husband always is reminding me... "think resale!"). I was also advised to tone down the brown back steps - basically re-stain them a more muted (dirt) brown or go with a grey stain (still need to do too!).

The new questions -

1. What color umbrella?

2. What color pillows?

3. What color pots (and location on patio)?

I was thinking navy umbrella, navy/white patterned pillows (just on the end chairs) and maybe the navy pots in the picture. (would go with white door probably in this case)

Or maybe just try to match the cushions with the umbrella color (neutral). Then I could add pops of color with the flowers in the pots and the pillows.

I have lots of pots -

Navy - one in each size (pictured) plus one that is a completely different shape from the rest

Light Grey - 2 XS, 2 small and 1 medium

Dark Grey - 2 XS, 1 small

Brown - 1 of each size plus an extra medium

Tan - 2 small

(fence and basement windows were just replaced - hence the mess in our yard! house still needs to all be repainted white)

Here is another place we could use some pots - this is our side yard where there will soon be a flagstone walkway in dark mulch. Thoughts on what colors to use here?

I'm not "married' to these pots and think they are just okay - they were hand-me-downs - just thought I'd try to use them if I could make it look good in the space. I'm happy to get rid of all of them and get 1-2 really large ones if that might look better. (basically, I'm open to suggestions!)

Also, wanted to note that our neighbor has a red umbrella that we can see from our space which is why I'm shying away from a red umbrella - not necessarily a red door though...

Comments (9)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'd start with fabric. And not navy. There is now an astounding choice of outdoor pillows, rugs, curtains, umbrellas and who knows what else. Look in some catalogs or online. Start with pillows and find something that includes your taupey cushion cover color.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

How about a blue back door, a strong blue with some green undertones? I even like the yellow. Don't get too dark of an umbrella since the sun will fade the color. A colorful maybe even striped umbrella would be fun! This is a sunbrella fabric umbrella. It puts blue, the brown of the staircase, and the yellow of the door together. Add blue, brown, yellow pillows. Blue and green ceramic planters with yellow flowers.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd plant stuff in the ground only because pots need constant watering and feeding to keep the plants growing.

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, after looking at these pics, I wasn't loving these pots. I was going to do a flower bed along the shorter end of the patio - maybe a nice place to do annuals and add some color.

After messing up with picking the yellow door color and the above comment strongly suggesting NOT navy, I went with what they had in their store - a neutral umbrella that matches the cushions.

Now if only I could figure out the door color/steps stain color and pillows to add some color!

• nini804
    11 years ago

Pier One has lots of colorful, inexpensive outdoor pillows and cushions. For pots on our covered porch and patio, I bought big concrete pots with classical details (lions heads, fleur de lis, etc) and then spray painted them! The color I chose is a flat matte dark brown which matches the color of our shutters and garage doors very well (SW Bkack Fox.) Our house is a whitish painted brick (SW Eider White) so somewhat similar to your white stucco. BTW...I didn't mention it in my post on your fence, but I love your house! It is really charming, I love older homes!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Again, start with the pillows. It's fun to shop. There is an amazing variety available now.

Don't just do a mincy little annual border all in a line, either. Do curved planting beds, add some shrubbery (flowering shrubs would be nice) and perennials, and fill in with annuals as needed.

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo - do you have any pics of what you suggest? (curved bed along side of patio that has lawn on opposite side)

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I think a low boxwood hedge would look nice around your patio.
    It would frame it in and create a garden room of sorts. It will also give you year round greenery with low maintenance. We did that around our terrace and it looks nice. I don't know what variety we used but it's a low growing one that we keep around 24". You mentioned that you had small children in your fence post, and a hedge would keep them from running through a garden bed - shortest distance between 2 points being a straight line and all. If you went with boxwood, just be sure to plant to allow for growth so it doesn't grow to cover your bricks. It looks like your soil needs some amending with a good bedding mix before you plant anything there.

Here is a link that might be useful: [boxwood hedge[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/artificial-boxwood-hedge-ideas-phbr0lbl-bl~l_70670)

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha; yes, our lawn is a mess - we have to till and sod still so with that, we wanted to figure out garden beds obviously first.