Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojogirl11

Formal Dining Room as DR/Library/Study Area?

jojogirl11
13 years ago

When we bought our current home, we lost our study but gained a formal dining room. I'm wondering if we can somehow pull off a dining/library/study combo - with a little style. Have any of you seen this done well? I'd love to see pictures! I'll try to take some pics of my arrangement tonight.

Comments (13)

• User
    13 years ago

Yes, I have. There are loads of them all over the net. Check link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Library Dining room

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

I think a formal dining room and a library is a great combination - that's what I usually end up with. But then I have libray shelves in every room except the baths!

It's a great combo since the room uses rarely collide: when you're eating in DR, it's not likely to be time when other family members would want the room for any another use.

I suppose it also depends on how you plan to use your study. If it's your loaded desk, computer terminal space, then I think you'd have to find a way to disguise that when the formal dining room use comes up. A nice folding screen would work. (English formal dining rooms often are planned for a screened-off area so the footmen can "retreat" but be near at hand for additional service or courses. You could have a screned-off-able area and just pretend that your footmen (Steve) Jobs or Ballmer are just standing by awaiting your every wish.) The screen would hide the desk, file cab or office chair nicely and still be easy to fold up, or out, as the occasion dictated.

Aside from that I think well-filled book shelves are an excellent backdrop to dining. Always good company and sparks of good conversation. Since many people don't smoke at table any more, no worry about the books taking on an odor, either.

I keep my rarest and most delicate books in my formal dining room (which we eat in every day) for another reason: in my somewhat hot and humid summers, I sometimes will run a dehu to make sure the books aren't in jeopardy from the damp. The DR is easily closed off, so it's not a big bother having the dehu in just that room overnight.

Only one caveat: built-in ceiling to floor, or ceiling to wainscot shelving will occupy a lot of space that is sometimes used for hanging pictures or (shudder) mirrors in DRs. You can plan (if you have less urgent need for shelving than I) to leave space over the sideboard for hanging pictures, or display.

HTH

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

We just were discussing this a few days ago. I've linked the original thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: DR/Library Combo

• jojogirl11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments. This idea of a library/dining space is really growing on me!

I'm finally getting to posting some pictures. Please don't look to close. This space is overflow for all the clutter that hasn't yet found a home in the house. ;-)

I would appreciate some ideas for how to best arrange this space. I am even open to flipping the dining room to the space we now use as a formal living/music area. The main thing is that this needs to function as a library/study as well as dining/music. We like having some seating, and there a few living pieces I can't part with, but we don't NEED a formal living area.

I found an inspiration picture in one of the links posted above:

{{!gwi}}

And here's our space:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• jojogirl11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I'm talking to the cabinet guy Monday. If you guys have ideas, please chime in! :-)

• jojogirl11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This thread never made it to the top of the list again, not sure why. Trying again.

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Confess to not scrutinizing your plans, but
    I love the concept and believe it would work
    nicely in your d.r. I like the inspiration pic
    and feel the shelves should be up to the ceiling,
    to crown moulding. So much more usable and fresh
    compared to the ho-hum table and chairs/buffet with
    mirror and static floral in center of table. I prefer a reading room feel, which I accomplish with books on the d.r. table. I have a library as well as an open library office near the d.r., so will not add shelves to mine. While adding the built-ins, be sure to have electrical outlets where you may want lamps or sconces.
    liriodenren: I'm curious as to why a mirror in d.r. makes you "shudder" ? Jojogirl...beautiful home!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I think built-in's on each side of your fireplace would look better. It help give the rooms their own separate space. You've got the perfect area there for books.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I love books so I would probably have bookshelves built on every available wall. LOL! One thing I can suggest is that you limit the shelves to 9" deep. You won't lose as much floor space and most hardbacks will fit fine in that depth. Also, you can save a little money if you use MDF shelves with wood trim on the front edge rather than all wood shelves. I agree with the OP that floor to ceiling shelves topped with crown look better than shelves that stop part way up the wall.

• teacats
    13 years ago

I would have bookshelves on each side of your fireplace -- AND in the dining space (but with closed door space as well!!)

WHAT a pretty room -- and you have really lovely things!!

PLEASE please please post photos when your shelving is done -- would LOVe to see the updated room!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• leahcate
    13 years ago

oakley would like flanking fp. I can see that...and love this from teacat:
    " I would have bookshelves on each side of your fireplace -- AND in the dining space (but with closed door space as well!!)"

• rosie
    13 years ago

Any progress with your design? I also have a DR/library/central hall combo and am very curious. :)

• jojogirl11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still undecided here. I think it's best to keep the furniture arrangement like it is. I had considered flipping the two rooms, but don't want the dining table obscuring that first view of the fireplace when you enter the house. So that's decided. Still pondering the suggestions of the storage/shelving being in the other room...

The idea the cabinet guy and I came up with is to split the dining wall into thirds, do two 55" bookcase/storage cabinets right up to the ceiling, with an equally sized wainscot between, allowing space for some sort of table I can store stools under (to be used at the table when we need extra seating). I'm also trying to fit in a desk of some sort for a computer, maybe on the opposite dining wall. But I don't want it to look like Apple is taking over our dining room, it's gotta be inconspicuous.

I love the look of this room too, and it would fit great with our lifestyle - four kids and lots of homework:
    {{!gwi}}