Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrubyshoes

Source for Heavenly Blue Ceiling Paint?

msrubyshoes
14 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for heavenly blue ceiling paint? I recall posts in the last year or so in which someone had painted the porch ceiling "heavenly blue". Does that ring any bells? If not, has anyone painted a porch ceiling a light blue? Please share photos and source of paint. Many thanks.

Comments (8)

• sue36
    14 years ago

There are a lot of posts on here about Haint blue and porch ceiling blue generally. There is no "one" color. Some go lighter, darker, greener, more purple, etc. I am trying to identify the right shade for me right now. I want mine to have a hint of gray since the siding is grayed white cedar.

Martha Stewart has (or had) a paint color called "Heavenly Blue". I'm not sure which line it was. BM has a "Heavenly Blue". Pittsburgh has one also.

• pinkpowertools
    14 years ago

This post caught my eye beacuse my beadboard porch ceiling should be installed next week. I know my GC said I should paint it heavenly blue as if that was the one and only color that existed for porch ceilings. Now it looks like I will drive my self crazy picking out this paint too!

My only thought here is to take my siding color and add a dash of it into whatever ceiling color I pick. My siding color is Cabot solid stain on cedar shakes the color is Cinder which is a grey/green/taupe depending on the light.

Let us know what you choose.

• bbstx
    14 years ago

I googled "blue porch ceiling" images and got a bazillion hits. Below is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue porch ceiling images

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Martha also had a color called "Porch Ceiling Blue".

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Porch Celing Blue

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

What I know and can remember about the color called "Heavenly" blue is that it is different from "Haint" blue.

A common reference for Heavenly Blue is the Virgin Mary's robes and its use for painted auras around statues and images of deities like Buddhas.

What most people refer to and expect Heavenly Blue to look like has origins from lapis lazuli which is the raw material for the color known as ultramarine. Versions of sythetic ultramarine that don't use lapis lazuli exist as well. Same color different raw (or maybe not so raw) materials.

Most would expect Heavenly Blue to be a royal purple, or royal blue just on the verge of being a royal purple all the way to a very close rendition of the darkest and clearest of blues you see in a lapis lazuli stone and, of course, the actual color called ultramarine.

It's similar to Haint Blue in that it has a range and there's not any one specific color that can carry the label Heavenly Blue, but the creative license for the color isn't limitless. Time has a way of keeping color records and structures and works from the past are the archives.

I hadn't heard reference to the blues typically used on porch ceilings as Heavenly blue instead of Haint blue. Actually, I haven't heard the term or thought about "Heavenly Blue" for a really long time. It's an interesting twist to the spiritual slant often associated with blues.

• natal
    14 years ago

Our neighborhood Benjamin Moore store has an outdoor ceiling paint they call "dirt dauber" blue. One of the great things about blue ceilings is they're less attractive to bugs. It mimics the open sky, so they go elsewhere. We've had all 3 of our open porch ceilings painted blue for the past 2 years and I can attest that that's true for the most part.

• msrubyshoes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To All-- Thanks so much for responding to my question, for the folklore, the color suggestions, and the links. As I now realize, what I really meant was "Haint Blue" paint. Got a little confused with "Heavenly Blue" morning glories! I want to paint the porch ceiling that is just outside the kitchen in order to reflect more light. For anyone with blue porch ceilings, do you get more light into your rooms? And is there a blue reflection?

• Robin
    9 years ago

This is an old post... but I am thinking of painting my porch ceiling Dark Savannah Haint... anyone used this?