Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Upholstery input please

sochi
9 years ago

I bought two pieces of furniture for our cottage LR off Kijiji (like Craigslist) last winter. The first is a lounge chair:

I want to upholster this chair with a Hudson's Bay Points blanket we have (traditional colours), here is my inspiration:

I also separately bought a very long, four seater couch. The frame and upholstery are in good shape, but the four seat cushions were well past their prime. I'm looking for advice on what colour to upholster the new cushions in. In the photos below the couch fabric looks slightly green - it really isn't. It is beige/light brown, pretty neutral, perhaps a very slight green undertone.

My first thought is to do the seat cushions in a dark chocolate brown. What do you guys think?

I also have a rich brown HBC blanket with a nearly black stripe that I could use, but that might be too much wool blanket? It would certainly mimic my cats, but I'm not sure that was the look I was going for. :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I'd probably bite the bullet and do the whole thing in a dense tight fabric in one of the primary colors from the first Hudson Bay blanket.

• rgps
    9 years ago

If one of those stripes on the blanket is navy I would do the cough in a solid navy. I don't think any shade of brown would look good with Hudson Bay Blankets

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The whole couch you mean? I expect that would be very expensive, particularly for a $150 couch. I was hoping this would be a relatively affordable option for now, as we may still do the built-in seating you recommended a few months back.

No harm in getting a quote, I like the idea of using one of the colours from the chair.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If the colours in the chair don't work with the brown in the couch I can always move the chair out of the LR. We have a family/play room and there might be room in the main bedroom too.

Or I put the couch in the family room and bite the bullet and do the built in banquette in the LR now. Perhaps a better investment that reupholstering the whole couch?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You can't really look at paying only $150 for the sofa as a reason not to reupholster it. The frame is either worth it, or it's not and if it is you got a great frame for about 10% of what you would pay for a new comparable sofa on the lower end of the spectrum, or 5% of the middle of the spectrum. Even if it costs you $2000 for fabric and labor (and it shouldn't), you are getting a good sofa for the money.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You make excellent points Pal. The frame does seem good to very good, as do the springs, although I'm no expert. Perhaps I will get a quote and ask the upholsterer for his/her opinion on the frame quality.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'm with Palimpset. If it is a basically good sofa, then put some money into it.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

On the other hand, if you decide it is a placeholder, I would get a piece of foam and wrap it in the blanket or fabric, which would give you the same effect as new, non-matching cushions but be a lot cheaper. I am not sure that making brand new cushions would be a lot less expensive than doing the whole thing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd do the whole sofa. If the fabric doesn't match or if it doesn't contain the exact color as in the base, it won't look right....it'll look like you had the cushions done and nothing else....

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've got an upholsterer coming to take a look next week.

What colour to choose if I do it? Indigo blue, green, yellow or red??

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Part of it depends on your backsplash. Too acidic a green wouldn't work too well with the green in the blanket or the red. Blue might be the safest then.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blue should be good. I like the yellow too.

Looks like we're doing back painted glass for the backsplash, no doubt the architect will want it painted white. I will try to find a subtle green.

Floors, cabinets and appliances all to be installed next week.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would probably do a green that was very similar to the stripe for the backsplash too. Not subtle but it would minimize the palette.

• sewlutions
    9 years ago

You could always paint the fabric with chalk paint. I have seen beautiful chairs done that way.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz