Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Budget bathroom makeover reveal

Tmnca
10 years ago

This is a very low budget makeover of our 1980's master and guest baths. I painted the walls, old cultured marble countertops, and made frames for the mirrors. Total cost for both was around $100 with paint, boards, and supplies, plus the light fixture I ordered.

I did this last week on my first few days of vacation and my heart's not really in it now to get excited, but I am posting it anyway to distract myself from the bad news that I recently received.

I did get a new light fixture for the master, but I don't know when I'll get around to installing it now - some different priorities to attend to. So here they are now...

Master Before
- chipped, stained, yellowed cultured marble countertop
- walls that were painted on one side of the room full gloss with a putty undertone and on the other side a matte with a yellow undertone - like the PO mixed paints to finish the room and they were not only not the same color but not the same finish!
- ugly huge slab mirror, but with no windows the size of the mirror helps bounce light in from the bedroom
-cheap towel bars that had been pulled out of wall and reinstalled at different height

{{!gwi}}

Master After
- walls painted BM Revere Pewter which goes nicely with the floor. The color looks off in these pics and better IRL
- ceiling painted Super White with leftover paint from other projects
- vanity painted Iron Gate which turned out to be a bit more brown than I'd wanted but it's better than what was there.
- built a frame for the mirror
- painted countertop Simply White
- I'll probably add hardware at some point

{{!gwi}}

This is the light fixture that I will eventually install

{{!gwi}}

Guest Bath Before
- same cultured marble countertop - the yellow clashed with the floor (it looked more yellow IRL)
- ugly mirror
- beat up old vanity

{{!gwi}}

Guest Bath After
- painted vanity Simply White
- painted countertop Iron Gate (and painted picture frames to match)
-made frame for mirror

{{!gwi}}

Comments (24)

• User
    10 years ago

Everything looks so fresh ! What kind of paint/finish do you use on the countertop so it will hold up ?
    The before Master pic isn't showing.
    I am so sorry you have gotten some hard news...I hope that things get better soon. c

• goodbyekitty
    10 years ago

I like it! We are doing a mini make-over also in the main bath. And we are not handy do-it-your-selfers. Spent Sunday scraping off old wallpaper paste and omgosh were we sore the next day.

I like the lights you picked out. I'm going to take the ones we bought and return them for something like what you posted.

Life throws us some real zingers doesn't it? I hate that. But, God Bless and give you what you need to get through.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trailrunner, for the countertops this is what I did:

- sanded with fine grit to give something to grip to
    - did a coat of Glidden Gripper primer meant for glossy/slick surfaces
    - did 2 thin coats with a roller of regular BM paint (leftover from other projects)
    - did 2 thin coats of Varethane brand water borne polyurethane for High Traffic areas. Epoxy would also have been good but I didn't want high gloss.

We'll see how it holds up but it's a very smooth finish (easy to wipe off) and seems sturdy. I figure if it doesn't last I am not really worse off than the old stuff which I hated anyway and had stains (purple - hair dye?) and chips.

I don't know why the before pic would not show up it looks OK to me...

This post was edited by tinan on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 0:50

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Both bathrooms look great--- updated, clean lined and fresh. Great job!!!!!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Well done!
    So fresh and clean. I'm especially impressed with the frames you made around the mirrors!

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Good job. It's amazing what you can do with $100. Nice job with the mirror framing and I especially love the guest countertop paint job.

So sorry about your bad news - hope there is a positive resolution.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Great job! I would never have thought to paint counters--what a relatively easy and cheap fix. I noticed the mirrors both had those mirror clips....with the frame on instead...how did you attach the mirrors?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, this is such an amazing transformation! I hope you will get excited at the great job you did.
    Same question as Joanie: How did you deal with the clips that hold the mirrors in place? I've been eying molding that may have a groove to hide the clips but so far unsuccessfully.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The both look so fresh now and the light fixture in the master will be a great update too. I especially like how you trimmed out the mirrors. Instant update!

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that whatever it was is something that resolves faster and easier than you are fearing. Best of luck!

• jrueter
    10 years ago

Tinan,
    What a great job you have done in both rooms - you truly are a master at getting tremendous impact on a small budget!

Sorry to hear about your bad news. Sending prayers your way for comfort and resolution. (((((hugs)))))

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Tinan, job well done! The difference that your new colors made is awesome.

I was struck with how great the floor in your guest bath looks now that you changed out colors.

Hugs to you and prayers for God's grace for you.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Both bathrooms look wonderful... you did a great job and very creative for the money. How did you attach the frames to the mirrors?. My hat's off to you for having the guts to just jump on in and paint those vanities......

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Really nice!

ML

• Gooster
    10 years ago

The mirror looks fantastic and the new colors work so well. Best wishes to you in getting through the tough times.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful!!! An excellent way to do a re-do (LOL!) on a budget! Thanks for posting! :)

Also sending best wishes and good positive thoughts for a hopeful and better days ahead!

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Looks so much better! Good job!!!

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regarding the mirrors, I purchased some adhesive meant for mirrors (and marble etc) I unscrewed the clips at the top of the mirror and squirted adhesive all down the back, then pushed the mirror back against the wall and re-fastened the clips. I waited 2 days for it to cure, then carefully took off the clips and checked that the mirrors were secure.

I used the same adhesive to stick the frame wood to the mirror. The wood was cut at Home Depot to my measurements - the top and bottom 1x4 is 1" longer than the width of the mirror so that it overlaps the edge by 1/2" each side to hide the glass edges. The side boards are the height of the mirror plus 1" then minus 7" for the width of the top and bottom boards (1x4's are actually 3.5" wide).

First I glued the crown molding to the top board with carpenter's glue and taped it in place overnight to set. I wanted to make "returns" out of crown but even though I am good at math I was unable to cut those angles with my hand saw and miter box! Turns out you would only be able to see it on the toilet side of the guest bath anyway and it looks OK without.

Then I used the mirror adhesive to stick the bottom board in place, taped it, then the side boards on top of that, taped them, then the top board with the crown. I left the blue tape overnight for the adhesive to cure it was solid by morning.

I used primed pine boards and crown, so I didn't even have to paint the backs since I was using white - they were already white primer (you can see along the edge in the mirror).

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Tinan, your refurbishing of the bathrooms looks great! I have saved your post for my future use.

I trust that your bad news will soon be behind you.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

It's amazing what a decent paint job and some trim can do! Looks tons better! I love how you painted the frames in the guest bath, I think it finishes off the look perfectly.

So sorry to hear you got some bad news, but hopefully you still get a little smile when you walk in the newly updates bath! It's those little moments that help get through the crappy stuff.

• teeda
    10 years ago

Wow, what a difference! I love the mirror, and your color choices are clean and sophisticated. You should be very proud!

• Jess TKA
    10 years ago

It looks fantastic! You really did a nice job with the countertops; they don't look painted at all from what I can see in the photos.

So sorry to hear about the bad news you received.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

The bathrooms look very fresh and new.
    Great job!

I, too, am sorry to hear you've had bad news.
    Best wishes.

• User
    10 years ago

It looks very nice! Fresh and updated indeed! I love your color choices.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad news. I hope whatever it is has a positive outcome quickly.