Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snbtwins

Would you add molding to this room?

Snbtwins
10 years ago

In our new house the dining and living rooms share a wall with columns separating the two rooms. Since the rooms have to be the same color (they were painted BM Camouflage today) I wanted to try to jazz up the dining room with either picture molding or board and batten. I'm confused where to end the molding on the wall though. Do I use the columns as the end point? Would it look strange that the molding would stop before the living room?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (20)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

You probably don't want to hear this but I'd get rid of the columns - they don't belong. Board & batten would look fine and could be ended logically with a finished edge but would be totally incongruous with those columns. Sorry to be so blunt but you have a beautiful space otherwise and I think you're going to get hung up on any look you chose because of the columns

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I sat here reading your post and was relieved when dlm2000 posted exactly what I was thinking.
    The columns just don't work. Don't know if they came with the house or you installed them but if you want the DR really divided with columns it needs something like a half wall. That would then allow you to stop the crown molding, or any other treatment, at the framing for the half wall.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Another vote to get rid of the columns; they don't work/fit. I do like the first example that annz linked, if you need to add a definite separation.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Molding should extend throughout both rooms regardless of any decision for or against the columns. I understand where posters above are coming from, but I think if you especially like the columns, you can make it work, and with appropriate (more formal) furnishings, carpets etc. they will not stick out like sore thumbs and could even look attractive. Good luck! Hope you post after pictures when you are settled, too!

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

I agree with others. If it's possible to remove the columns without messing up the floor, I'd remove them. If you cannot remove them, you could try refacing them.

Another idea is to put up a wall where the columns are, sort of like this one... It would allow you to break up the space and the molding without closing the room off too much:

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Zebulon General Contractors GS Bailey Custom Builders INC.

Here is another similar idea:

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Jessica Helgerson Interior Design

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yes, I would definitely add molding to the room, but it needs to be done correctly ...or just get rid of the columns and let it be.

If you have columns, then you need more than just crown molding to make them make sense. I have columns in the hallway between the library and DR and because of how the openings were framed and cased, they look appropriate...they keep the rooms looking open and yet visually define the separate functions of the space.

I'm afraid the columns you have look like they were just stuck there.

You would need to add framing to define the opening and trim and then shorten the columns so they look like they are actually holding up something like a beam underneath so they look as though they serve a purpose. The trim added should be appropriate to the size and scale of the columns...no whimpy molding around big columns.

Here's another example with the trim around the opening with the "support" column.

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Cambridge Architects & Designers LDa Architecture & Interiors

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 7:31

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

As far as the columns, all the homes in our development have them, I guess the builder liked them and thought they looked good back in 1991! We don't love them but it definitely isn't in the budget right now to change or remove them.

So, I guess no molding unless it also extends into the living room (which I don't want). Maybe I will just add crown molding in both rooms for now.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

The crown would be a very nice addition to both rooms. Painted the same color as the columns (and crown), I think paneling in the dining room would cause the columns to seem more integral to the room. I'd do it, ending the paneling at the columns with some sort of vertical trim piece.

Love that bank of windows in the living room!

• bpath
    10 years ago

What a lovely, light-filled space!

In addition to crown molding throughout, could you add picture frame molding in the dining room? Maybe center one on either side of the kitchen door, and a long one on the opposite wall. The interior could be wallpaper, painted a slightly darker color, feature art, etc. I wouldn't think you'd have to put picture frame molding in the living room, too; it doesn't have much wall surface and will have plenty to set it apart, including that wonderful window.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I actually really like how the columns frame the window from that view. Maybe add some molding across the ceiling where the columns are to make a shallow "beam"?

Molding can get very expensive, fast though.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I think the problem is there is one too many columns on each side. Because theyre such a large architectural element, 4 is overpowering. Here's a pic showing the use of only 2, the closest to the walls. Even though it's a smaller opening, you get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: [columns[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/interior-columns-phbr0lbl-bl~l_79?fi=112)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

The columns really don't belong. Framing the room with little side walls extending as far as the columns would not add a whole lot of work/money to the project at hand. Then you can do whatever you want to the room without worrying about how it affects the other areas of the home.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

I think the reason you're getting such push-back on the columns is that they go to the ceiling but don't support anything visually. They need to go up to a beam or header to look right.

Getting rid of them would entail only modest floor and ceiling repairs, I think.

Don't destroy them, they might come in handy for a porch project since you have four of them.

The name of that color has never attracted me, but it looks really fantastic in your pictures.

HTH

L.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Hmmm. It does seem like it would be very difficult to install molding or wainscot in only half of that space without looking awkward. It might be a case of going for broke and doing the entire space?

Also: you might find other ways to emphasize the more formal/separate nature of the dining room (in fact that appears to be the logic behind the columns in the first place, right?). Remember that you're seeing it without any furnishings right now -- your choices of furniture, drapes, rugs etc will go a long way towards defining that space as a separate realm. Area rugs are miracle workers in that regard.

Another thing is that both rooms appear quite sizable, so the separation of function might follow very naturally in such roomy space.

Have fun with the new house! Some folks here might not like the columns, but if you've got young kids, they will be the coolest thing ever. ;-)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Very pretty room!

This is my completely uneducated opinion.

The columns are fine, but they are leading to a "tah dah!" moment, of the windows. I think if you make your window treatments AMAZING (as in, layers!) then it will work. Like Circuspeanut said, you are looking at the room empty-- of course it does not look finished! I'd put my $ into the window treatments instead of the molding.

I would not bother with the crown molding. You already have interesting elements in there, and it doesn't look unfinished without the molding-- it just looks clean and modern.

Another option (not sure if mentioned) would be to paint the columns in something that creates less contrast with the wall color, so they sort of blend in more. I wouldn't do that, though. I'd embrace them!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Since it's not in your budget to remove the columns, how about if you paint them a deeper variation of the wall color so they're not so prominent? And I think Anele is right -- a "ta dah!" (love that expresion!) is expected. So maybe once you get a nice rug, window treatment, art, & furniture in, the columns will work fine. Perhaps a more formal look in the DR than in the LR will help with the ta dah! too.

p.s. sorry for the less-than-polished example, but at least you can get the general idea.

• User
    10 years ago

Columns like that are formal, very formal. Board and batten is definitely informal. They would look odd together.

Here's what I would do to make them look less "add-on" and more functional, and make a clearer division on the rooms:

1 - Add a wide molding across the ceiling to connect the tops of the columns into a single unit, as if they are supporting a beam. Trim out the center with some simple applied molding patterns.

2 - Box in the base of the columns with a simple box starting at the wall and covering the square bases and apply molding to it that matches the stuff on the ceiling. Make this box about "buffet" height. You could even make a faux cabinet with mirrored doors here.

Then, with the two rooms separated, you can apply a fancier baseboard to one and not have the disjointed look.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

No on the molding, there is enough going on with those columns. I like the room(s) and think it is already jazzed :)

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the responses and suggestions. Those pictures were taken before we painted. I really like the new color, it is neutral but pretty. I will take new pics after the painters remove all their stuff that has accumulated in those two empty rooms.

I have decided to add crown molding to both rooms. I've always loved how that looks. I don't have a dining set yet but I plan on shopping for a great rug and will then look for window treatments. I visualize a crystal blingy chandelier although that might be too over the top??

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod691019&categoryId=cat1701013

I like the idea of adding molding across the ceiling to make it look like the columns are holding up something but I can't picture what that would look like and how I would go about it.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

The box that annz has linked to and lazygardens suggests is nothing more than a frame made of two x fours, attached to the floor and wall, then covered with sheet rock and a picture frame molding applied (if desired) and a base molding at the floor. The top of box can be wood trimmed with molding or could be another counter top material.

The molding or beam across the ceiling at the top of the pillars could be done numerous ways. If you have a good finish carpenter, he should be able to draw pictures for you. I also wouldn't expect it to cost much more than the board and batten that you had considered.

Sounds like you are making progress. Would love to see your newly painted rooms!

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 1:59