Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gavavemom_gw

Help decorate my new bed

gavavemom
11 years ago

So I've been in the process of decorating my master bedroom since last Thanksgiving. I've painted the walls BM Revere Pewter, added dark maple hardwood floors, an ivory shag rug, dark mahogany dressers and now in the process of working on the bed. Jumping from a queen to a king mattress. Going with a linen colored nailhead upholstered bed. I am unclear where to even start. My initial thought maybe is an all white bedding/coverlet and add color with throw pillows, shams and throw blanket at the end of the bed but then again I think about the rest of the room and while it does have a contemporary flair, there really is not much color there. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Comments (8)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

My first step would be to Google "Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter Bedroom" to see if there are any inspiration pictures that I like. I would also paint a large sample board with BM Revere Pewter, say 8"x10", along with a sample of the headboard fabric so I would have them with me when I went shopping for bedding. Unless you plan to have custom bedding made, a trip to a large department store like Macy's, a Pottery Barn and a Restoration Hardware with your samples will give you some idea of what's currently available in the ready-made marketplace. Once you've narrowed your choices, you can buy a returnable sham in each choice to try out in your room which will have different lighting qualities than that of the stores.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I started with the bedding (before I even bought the bed) and now I need a headboard. I did white, cream and black for the bedding. Then I also have a blue silver grey sequined pillow. The rest of the room is mostly in black and white.

My duvet is Ralph Lauren. Many of the pillows I made on my own or bought at a sale price. I mixed and matched. Good luck!!

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Lovely room!

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

revere pewter is a great choice for the bedroom and along with your linen nailhead headboard will set a calm, sophisticated tone. you have added some texture with the shag rugs and the maple and dark wood provide some contrast - so great base. now, if you want to add some color - bedding is the way to go... i would start with white sheets and sleep pillows then add euros, shams and coverlet with some color or at least pattern (if you decide to stay neutral). check out this post on arranging pillows on a king bed to see how designers bring in color and coordinate the various bedding design elements.

as for the color - i love a silvery (almost blue) gray with pewter - but there are lots of options - you will just need to take a swatch of the paint (on a 2 x 2) with you to the bedding store to see what "feels" right to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: King Bedding Inspiration

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Got the pure white sheet set and couldn't resist a deal for a white linen/cotton Restoration Hardware coverlet at their outlet. It does have some texture to it. While I was there I couldn't decide on shams, not only what size (king or European) but also what color. They are all final sale items so that makes it tough. The shams is where I would bring in the color? They had white, gray and a blue-gray.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

What's that linen-cotton coverlet like? I'm also near a RH outlet and have been eyeing that same coverlet- but I'm leery of buying one because of their no returns policy. I once had a RH silk coverlet that was stiff as cardboard and never softened up. Three years after purchase, you could still see fold lines. So I'm a bit suspicious of anything from RH I can't fully examine and return if it doesn't work out.

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

you can't go wrong with those sheets. i am a huge fan of linen sheets, just love the feel. the added cotton should help with wrinkling which is part of the lived-in "charm" of linen! you either love it or you hate it...

regarding which shams? depends on how many pillows you want on the bed... but typically designers add 3 Euro and 2 King Sham on a King Bed. Since you went "all white" I would probably add two king sham in white (do they match the sheets?) and then bring in some pattern or color with 3 King Euros and buy a light throw in the same color for the foot of the bed. These could come from a different source they don't need to be linen. see bottom image below for an example...

Here is a link that might be useful: Adding color to white sheet set

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The coverlet is actually very nice, lightweight and perfect for summer. It has a very delicate texture to it and is matte in color. I really am not a fan of shiny coverlets, so when I saw this I thought I would pick it up. I agree the return policy really stinks at the RH outlet. I am debating on whether or not to go for the shams ( sale ends tomorrow). To finish the look, I was going to get 3 euro shams (of different color possible yellow), put my bedding pillow in front of it and then a third layer of decorative pillows.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH