Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior paint color for screened porch columns

Posted by MaureenB8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 21:55

We are building a screened porch on the back of our house, 12 x 20. The house is a very early colonial and painted black.
We have selected grey decking, and the paint color for the columns that will hold up the roof is my problem. We plan to paint the exterior of the porch columns black to match the house, but are stuck on the color of paint for the interior of the columns. Should we go with a pretty shade of grey, lighter than the floor? I have inherited a lovely set of top quality white wicker and I am trying to imagine how it will all work together. Here is another point --The porch will be quite visible from our new kitchen, which is cherry and all the trim around windows and doors is also cherry. Should I carry the cherry stain out to the porch, and change the grey decking to a natural wood tone? H E L P!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior paint color for screened porch columns

I'd go with a taupe like BM smokey taupe as there's not greater blend than taupe and black.

o

What color will your window and door trim be?

I think the porch columns should be one color, inside and out. I would go with a color that contrasts with the black house such as white or grey.

Grey decking sounds nice. Or you might want to look at Ipe. It has a wonderful rich wood tone when new. It will keep this reddish tone if you oil it. If you don't oil it, it will turn grey.

o

smokey taupe is a grayish tan color.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the columns need to be painted the same inside and out, don't know what I was thinking. Most porches I've seen online seem to be painted white and those that are natural wood almost appear to have a camp/cottage look and my house is not that style at all. I will take a look at BM's smokey taupe, sounds interesting. The house is very much like the old Salem homes, no trim color--everything is black and cannot introduce white on the exterior.

o

Love to see a picture!

o
Black screen porch -- opinions?

Does anyone have a painted black screen porch? I am stressing over a back porch that we will start in 4 weeks. The exterior of the house (old N.E. Colonial) is painted black including the trim much like the Salem, MA houses. The porch will be 12 x 20. The ceiling will be in the shed style with a very light wood stain, decking probably light grey. Any thoughts if this sounds okay? Anyone have a screen porch painted black?

o

Our porch is all screen except for the columns and the narrow frames of the screens. Our colonial is circa 1938 and whitish columns and arch accents were the way to go.
But I painted the wooden screen- and door- surrounds a very dark green, not black, but a black substitute. It lives well. The screens and the frames, being all dark, tend to disappear when you are on the porch.

My porch is entirely shaded, and I wanted some light out there, so I painted the back wall of the house a lighter color. You don't see the wall from inside, so there's color liberty for that wall.

(my house does have kind of the camp/cottage/farmhouse look)

If you like I can take a picture later.

o
Black screen porch -- opinions?

Does anyone have a painted black screen porch? I am stressing over a back porch that we will start in 4 weeks. The exterior of the house (old N.E. Colonial) is painted black including the trim much like the Salem, MA houses. The porch will be 12 x 20. The ceiling will be in the shed style with a very light wood stain, decking probably light grey. Any thoughts if this sounds okay? Anyone have a screen porch painted black?

o

Definitely love the black, but is screening a given on an option?

I've been saving this picture forever! Look ma, no screens! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: no screen porch

o

Love the plantation shutters, but screens are not an option, they're a necessity. We have a deck now and I've been lobbying for years to convert deck to a screened porch. Have finally convinced DH to do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here