Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Yellow Kitchen- Help with Color, Please!

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

I'm usually over in Kitchens but figured I'd make my way over here for some advice. We are expanding/gutting the kitchen in our 1950 Cape. We are getting all new custom cabs that they will color match to whatever paint. They spray them with a lacquer I believe.

Here is my inspiration photo... Yellow lower, white uppers, white island with walnut top, and the perimeter & baking station will have Danby Imperial marble counters.

Fabric/Backsplash

We get southeastern exposure and based on so much advice I read about yellows I started off very conservatively with colors. I ordered the free 5x9 and 8x8 swatches from BM.

I began with America's Heartland, Cornsilk, Barley strip as well as the Vellum, Weston Flax, all the creams, etc... Well, in my kitchen they either look white(ish) or beige!

Then I thought when I found Hawthorne Yellow that was my answer. Historical color that wouldn't be too harsh, etc. I did worry it might be too yellow but after thinking it would be the one for a couple of months I painted it onto my old cabinets and it looked too green/dirty and I couldn't even see the yellow! It just looked beige. (in other rooms, yellow YES- but in my kitchen- BLAH!)

So, this week I'm into the Pernod/Hay Stack/Little Angel strip as I think I like the orange based yellows that are more warm than the green ones. However, Little Angel looked beautiful in the full sun but at night it's awful! Then Hay Stack was a possibility but also- just too bright in some lighting.

I moved over a strip to 311 Squish Squash and so far I really love it. It's a bit bright in the evening/shaded areas of kitchen but looks great most of the day. Another one is the new BM Color Stories Sundress. Both are actually similar to Hawthorne but without the green. Sundress is more beige than Squish Squash though...

These yellows are making me NUTS!!!

Here are todays paints...

During the day:

Column 1 Hay Stack,

Column 2, Santo Domingo Cream on top, Sundress on bottom (with a bit of Little Angel in top corner)

Column 3 Squish Squash, (Tiny 4x4 of Hawthorne on Door- Bottom Right

Column 4 Sundress on Top, Hay Stack on Bottom

And at night:

(The drawer on the right has Sundress on the left half and Hay Stack on right)

Squish Squash is on the left and Sundress on the right.

This is Hay Stack on the left drawer/door, Squish Squash (middle) and Sundress (right) These are the cabs not hit by the sun and I'm surprised the pic came out this bright b/c it's a bit darker.

v

Any thoughts? The squish squash looks less orange in real life. I'm leaning towards that one...

Comments (141)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes if you get a chance to look at your fan deck for those colors that would be great : ) Drinking is definitely necessary at this point. And the guy at the paint store thinks I am crazy for sure. On a first name basis.

I didn't love Popcorn Kernel in my space. It's similar to Squish Squash but when I called Ben Moore (himself) they told me that Popcorn Kernel has 50% less yellow than Squish Squash but all the rest is same except PK also has a tiny increase in gray as well. For me taking out 50% of the yellow didn't thrill me.

Sundress was more yellow than PK.

ALSO, I bought a pint of Good Vibrations and painted one coat so far- it's still drying but looks just like Sundress. I'll keep you informed on that : )

I am also painting the few I like on sample cabinet doors that were off-white just to make sure. Then I'll see which ones I like the best.

Lastly, The 2004 Traditional Home mag came from eBay today with my inspiration kitchen . No colors mentioned, but it's nice to have a good picture of it and there are a couple of other angles of the kitchen ...

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi fishes, here is a GW member with BM Simply White cabinets. They do not look pink. There are other examples in different light on googleimages BM simply white.

Scroll down to Lesmis's kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: simply white

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jterrilynn- thanks! Someone said Simply White is grayish but I don't see that either. I always liked Mascarpone which is yellow based with a drop of red. Some say it looks pinky on the monitor but in person I don't see it
    Then again, I feel like I'm blinded by yellow.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You have probably burned out all the cones in your retina that sense yellow by now. I'm right behind you.

I just checked the chips. Mind you, at night and with my indoor lighting not yours, but I did walk around between the ugly boob light in my un-reno'd kitchen and the halogen ceiling fixtures in the rest of the house.

I think Simply White will be fine. Looks clean. For some reason Mascarpone looks a little dirty next to the GV when it's raised vertically. Also check it against your fabrics.

Hey--what about your flooring, hardware and all that stuff?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks- I'll have to look at the whites better tomorrow... and also see how Good Vibrations compares with Sundress when all coats are done and dried.

I posted about flooring above. We are doing wood floors like we having in LR and DR and planned to use the same stain (Provincial).

I haven't looked at hardware yet but I know I want chrome cup pulls and maybe some glass knobs. I really want to be done with colors so I can move on. I NEVER thought this would have been so hard. I wish I someone just gave me less than 10 choices that I could have just picked from.

I also had to choose siding and decking today. Demo starts next week I think!
    The masons finished the foundation today : ) yay!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, here is Good Vibrations and Sundress:
    Sundress is slightly more yellow. The loose door on the left is Good Vibrations and the loose door on the right is Sundress. In between them, on my existing cabinet door, sundress is on the top and you can see the line where GV is on the bottom.

By the way, IRL these are more yellow than the photos are showing...

In a more shaded area... My present doors in the back also show Sundress on the left and GV on the right

With blinds closed.. GV on bottom

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's both with my "stuff". BTW, the drawer on the top is Squish Squash..

• marcolo
    11 years ago

From the photos it looks like only Squish squash picks up on your fabrics, but I know those are yellower in real life. I've put my massive library of chips away for the weekend to make room for guests.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, they are more yellow IRL, but I still love Squish Squash too but when it was painted on a full door/drawer I could see the in the whole kitchen it could be overpowering. I'm going to try Squish Squash at 75% just to check it out..

Good you put your chips away. Sometimes you have to escape from them for awhile.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcolo-
    What's your take on Squish Squash? Do you agree that it may be too much IRL on all the lowers? I know your chips are away, but just wondering.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Way too many posts for me to read them all but have you checked out BM Philadephia cream? I am not a yellow person(sorry:) but I thought it read more creamy on the small sample I painted. Imagine my surprise when it was fully painted and my house was yellow- a nice, soft yellow if I was ino that color but sadly I was not. For you and your inspiration pic, perfect! Just check it out:)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

***QUICK QUESTION!

I'm going to try Squish Squash at 75%. My question is if I should just do it that way and take all the colors in the formula down

-OR-

Just take down the Bright Yellow in the SS formula down by 25% and leave the small amount of yellow oxide, orange, and gray the same?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

does your paint guy give you that option? I've only heard of 75% strength, or 50% strength, etc

also, did you paint those cab doors or did your cab guy?

when we had our cabs made, I was given 8x10 wood samples done by my cab guys in his paint. I had ten made up in various off whites. Seeing it on the same wood and in his type of paint made the final choice easier

• hlove
    11 years ago

Why not have it mixed both ways?
    I totally understand that you're worried about having too strong a yellow, but since it's only going on the base cabs, I don't think you should worry about it too much. After all, the yellow in your inspiration pic is definitely a saturated yellow. If you go too light, you'll lose the contrast between the uppers and lowers. I have to say that i still love how our cabs turned out and because they're just lowers with cream walls, the yellow is not in your face at all; just one facet of the total room.
    You'll also have a stained wood floor too, right? I think a stronger yellow might work better. Don't stray from your original vision...be brave and bold! Just my 2c... :)
    Good luck!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey!
    I got it at 75% and I'm glad I didn't take his suggestion of 50.
    Im out for the day and put on one coat. It looks good so far!

Yes I will have cab guy do a couple of doors.
    So far it's just my own paint job!
    Hlove your cabs look great and what you said makes sense! : )

Thanks!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, so far I like squish squash at 75% the best : ) It's not as bright in the evening at full strength. Actually at 75% it's A LOT like Sundress but the tone is just a bit different. A little warmer and better with my fabric. Tomorrow is the last day I can "hang" in my kitchen staring at colors b/c demo is starting Tuesday!

It's actually best b/c if I had another month I'd be testing Squish Squash at 80%, 85%, 93%, ........ you get the idea.. : )

• callie25
    11 years ago

I love your inspiration photo! If I had not refinished my cabinets a couple of yrs ago, I would be wanting those same yellow cabinets (mine are stained). IMO, If the 75% Squish Squash looks very simliar to the inspiration photo, I'd go for it! Be sure to post some photos when the cabinets are painted.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

The designer, Betsy Speert, has a blog. Why not email and ask her the color used? Maybe she will share.

I haven't searched her blog to see if she talks about the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betsy's Blog

• allison0704
    11 years ago

When Besty Speert says (in her blog banner) "a lot of attitude," she's not kidding. Evidently, she only takes questions the first Tuesday of each month - and she's quite vocal about people asking just anytime. Geez....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Speert "answered" the question in her blog, below on March 13.

Based one my own experience trying to match colors from rooms I've seen in a magazine, I agree with her. You are not reacting to a color of paint, but to its depiction in a professionally lit photo then produced and edited and printed on a page.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen paint color

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Everyone,
    Yes, I've been in contact with Betsy a couple of times : ) She didn't give me a color but I know that makes sense b/c they all look different in different places, photos, etc...
    It would have been fun to "know" just to compare with what I'm looking at but that's fine.

I haven't photographed Squish Squash at 75% yet but I'll do them later. Like I said, it's not drastically different from Sundress but somewhere in between Sundress and Squish Squash at full. I almost wish I did 85% but seeing it all over the kitchen will surely intensify the color I'm sure : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Small door & painted cab above is Squish Squash at 75%, Sundress on Right
    (my cab door on the right is both paints next to each other- ignore..)

Squish Squash 75% on left and Sundress on right

Squish Squash 75%

Sundress is All Left Side and SS75% All Right Side

Squish Squash (FULL STRENGTH) on left and SS75% on Right

Sundress/SSFULL/SS75%

Sundress/SSFULL/SS75%

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS- Those aren't my door styles, just extra cabs lying around : )

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Fish, I don't think you can go wrong with SSquash75% or full strength Sundress. They are both so very nice. Of course I do like the full monty Ssquash too but maybe one of the others would be better for mixing some of the great fabrics, doohicky's and such? It's all going to be fantastic either way...what makes you the happiest?

• mistychaz
    11 years ago

Somewhere on Betsy Speets blog, under the heading, the 6th oy vey Q & A, she says that the bottom of your inspiration kitchen cabinets are BM HC-4, Hawthorne Yellow, and the tops are Mascarpone White. Maybe you saw that already, but just in case.....

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, that was me writing that I planned on using those! : )

• hlove
    11 years ago

I knew those cabs had to be Hawthorne!

Anyway, you know by now that it doesn't really matter...it needs to look good and like what you want in your kitchen. I really like the 75% SS. I think it gives you the saturation you want without too much yellow at night.
    Congratulations...I hope you can rest easy now, at least about this!

• hlove
    11 years ago

Oops.... :) Cross-posted.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I still like the squish squash full strength.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

They all look great. The SS full strength looks more like your inspiration picture to me. I like the 75% though. I don't think you can make a mistake with any of the three colors.

Did the magazine arrive yet?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dawnp- Yes! It's great to have a real photo, however there wasn't any info on colors or anything : )

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Figures!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went to look at marble today for fun.. The guy there was recommended to me by a few people. He's great with decorating/color, etc.
    Anyway, loves my ideas but says the squish squash (even at 75%) is too bright in his opinion. The lighting was different there of course but I agreed it is bright... especially next to the marble. Just didn't look great together.

He said it looks more Pottery Barn Kids bedroom and is in the right ball park but could stand to be toned down to a more mature looking color. He was so nice and really was helpful. However, I'm not sure what's next. Maybe Sundress.

So tired of this. I went to restoration hardware and got "butter" one of their only yellows. I don't like it.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I haven't read all the posts, but looks like you've made your decision on the yellow. I just wanted to add that I have a friend who used Hay Stack in her bedroom, and I see it as a very true yellow, no green or orange undertones. I'm not a fan of yellow, but like it because it is very soft, and doesn't read 'lemon', as a lot of yellows do. ;o)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, feeling better today. I do agree Squish Squash tends to get super bright in some lighting and being I'm not sure of what my lighting will be in the new kitchen-- that is a concern. Even at 75% it's still a bright shade it seems.

Now leaning towards Sundress, Popcorn Kernel, Good Vibrations...
    Also, Restoration Hardware Butter is the darkest, most beige but still could work. I painted all these on large foam boards.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Sorry you're having such a tough time finding just the right yellow Fishies, but I think you're right in trying to find a softer toned one, yellow magnifies itself so well that something that looks lighter will seem like so much more once it's on the lower half of all your cabinets. Best of luck in finding just the right shade, your kitchen is already one of my most favorite works in progress. :)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I saw Popcorn Kernel last week in my neighbor's kitchen; it's her wall color. Way too light to be a cabinet color. Lighter is not what you need--less intense maybe, but going lighter is how people end up with baby's rooms.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcolo- what's ur latest thoughts on good vibrations?
    It is less bright than sundress on my poster board.
    Maybe RH Butter is a good option. Its still not very yellow but i keep hearing it will look yellow once its sll atound kitchen.
    ..,and I still don't like Hawthorne yellow.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Agree with you on Hawthorne. It's not a bad color but it seems like there's a green monster in it staring at you from behind the yellow.

I've put my swatches away for now. I actually broke down and hired a professional color consultant who's been on TV! She can't come until September but that works OK for me.

Doesn't your cabinet company have any ideas? Surely they've done yellow cabs before?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good for you! That's what I need! Where do I find one? : )
    I haven't asked my cabinet guy actually...
    The gentleman at the stone yard did have a good idea of trying to gathering yellow cabinet swatches at different places so I can see the yellows that cabs typically come in. The few I have so far are very greenish to me.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I found one here. Although I recognized her from TV and articles after I found her site.

I second the idea of gathering of cab door swatches.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just saw this last night and contacted 2 color consultants in NJ. I think one or two meetings would be fabulous to pick the cab color and then paints, fabrics, etc... Maybe even which cabs to paint yellow and how it will all go with the dining area.

I did get 6 or 7 yellow cabinet swatches from a couple of kitchen places I stopped into. I found most have a green hue to them but one I did like looked like a nice buttercream color. Shockingly, when holding it next to my paint boards & chips it was actually deeper/dirtier/browner than I would have expected.

I'm thinking that to make a yellow less juvenile/bright it has to be dirtied up somehow. I held that cabinet swatch up next to BM BARLEY and it was actually similar. SO, now I repainted Cornsilk & Barley on a loose cabinet door and I'll see how that goes. I think I'm liking Barley! I ruled that one out at least 3 times prior b/c it looked too brown but maybe that's b/c it was painted among my super bright yellows. Now I can look at it on it's own. I know there are many who love Vellum (even browner) and still say it looks yellow! That one is too much for me I think but Barley and maybe Golden Lab might be good and it goes well with the gold in the danby marble.

I just want it to still read yellow so I'll keep checking it out.

I think I've ruled out Sundress & Squish Squash for being too bright. Then I have Cornsilk, Barley, Good Vibrations and SW Banana Cream. Depending on how I view Cornsilk/Barley today in my (town down) kitchen I may look at Mushroom Cap and Golden Lab. ( I think Mushroom and Cornsilk are a little light though).

BTW, I meant no offense to those of you with Hawthorne. It's not a bad color at all- just not what I am picturing for my kitchen : )

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Why not go back to that marble guy you thought was good with color and see if he is available to come by house and look at your samples.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I may do that but if I can get an actual color consultant here that might be better. Thanks : )

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

These are pretty light yellow colors that appear to be very similar to your inspiration photo.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/lemonglow

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Color Lemonade

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know these aren't always helpful, but here are my current 4 which are ALL LESS BRIGHT than Squish Squash and Sundress.... this is in my kitchen with full sun.

Good Vibrations, SW Banana Cream, Cornsilk, Barley

Good Vib, Banana Cream

Banana, Cornsilk, Barley

Cornsilk, Barley

Barley

Cornsilk

Sherwin Williams Banana Cream

Good Vibrations

• callie25
    11 years ago

Have you decided on the yellow? Of the last pics posted, SW Banana Cream looks nice in all, & certainly looks like your inspiration photo. Barley would be #2.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barley is the winner-- hands down! Goes best with the Danby and the others, though nice, fight with the gold in the danby a bit. In person it's really great and I am so DONE. lol

cabinet color--- C H E C K ! ! !

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'm amazed Barley looks like that on your cabs. I had my walls glazed (hey! It was the mid-'90s!) with several colors from that strip in my old condo. The effect was very nice but clearly gold rather than yellow. However, the pure color doesn't look like that on your cabs at all. Congratulations!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks marcolo!

I think my yellows needed to be dirtied up and barley seems to do it without becoming green or peach. I'm still surprised too but so far everyone I show it too says its much better than my previous options. It's really lovely!

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure