Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Kitchen- Help with Color, Please!

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:44

I'm usually over in Kitchens but figured I'd make my way over here for some advice. We are expanding/gutting the kitchen in our 1950 Cape. We are getting all new custom cabs that they will color match to whatever paint. They spray them with a lacquer I believe.

Here is my inspiration photo... Yellow lower, white uppers, white island with walnut top, and the perimeter & baking station will have Danby Imperial marble counters.

kit-yel-brocadewallpaper-435

Fabric/Backsplash
IMG_0659.JPG

We get southeastern exposure and based on so much advice I read about yellows I started off very conservatively with colors. I ordered the free 5x9 and 8x8 swatches from BM.

I began with America's Heartland, Cornsilk, Barley strip as well as the Vellum, Weston Flax, all the creams, etc... Well, in my kitchen they either look white(ish) or beige!
Then I thought when I found Hawthorne Yellow that was my answer. Historical color that wouldn't be too harsh, etc. I did worry it might be too yellow but after thinking it would be the one for a couple of months I painted it onto my old cabinets and it looked too green/dirty and I couldn't even see the yellow! It just looked beige. (in other rooms, yellow YES- but in my kitchen- BLAH!)

So, this week I'm into the Pernod/Hay Stack/Little Angel strip as I think I like the orange based yellows that are more warm than the green ones. However, Little Angel looked beautiful in the full sun but at night it's awful! Then Hay Stack was a possibility but also- just too bright in some lighting.

I moved over a strip to 311 Squish Squash and so far I really love it. It's a bit bright in the evening/shaded areas of kitchen but looks great most of the day. Another one is the new BM Color Stories Sundress. Both are actually similar to Hawthorne but without the green. Sundress is more beige than Squish Squash though...

These yellows are making me NUTS!!!

Here are todays paints...

During the day:
Column 1 Hay Stack,
Column 2, Santo Domingo Cream on top, Sundress on bottom (with a bit of Little Angel in top corner)
Column 3 Squish Squash, (Tiny 4x4 of Hawthorne on Door- Bottom Right
Column 4 Sundress on Top, Hay Stack on Bottom
IMG_0810

And at night:
(The drawer on the right has Sundress on the left half and Hay Stack on right)
IMG_0815

Squish Squash is on the left and Sundress on the right.
IMG_0816

This is Hay Stack on the left drawer/door, Squish Squash (middle) and Sundress (right) These are the cabs not hit by the sun and I'm surprised the pic came out this bright b/c it's a bit darker.
IMG_0811v

Any thoughts? The squish squash looks less orange in real life. I'm leaning towards that one...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Kitchen- Help with Color, Please!

I moved over a strip to 311 Squish Squash and so far I really love it. It's a bit bright in the evening/shaded areas of kitchen but looks great most of the day

If you got it mixed full spectrum it probably wouldn't do that.

o

I like...#1 squish squash is pretty! And,#2 sundress.

o

Fun colors- what does that mean?

o

Love this kitchen, and your fabric and tile selections. Can you tell me their names or where you got them?

As for the paint, I am leaning towards squish squash too.

o

My first choice would be squish squash. It's got a nice little "punch" to it that would work so well with your other choices. I love the fabric with the little blue birds, in fact I like all your choices. You're doing great so far.

o

Oh sorry - you mentioned Color Stories from Ben Moore so I thought you might be familiar with full spectrum.

Ben Moore doesn't convert their colors to full spectrum. You have to choose one of their full spectrum color from the Color Stories palette.

However, there are other brands of full spectrum paint colors. Like Ellen Kennon. Ellen will (for a price) convert *regular* paint colors to full spectrum.

In a nutshell mixing color full spectrum means mixing paint in color chords in order to create complex colors. FS color can be vibrant to very muted. Normal paint manufs. rely on black and gray to shift pure hue off its vibrancy.

What that means is FS paint color responds to light differently. It absorbs and reflects a broader spectra of wavelengths - different from a paint color mixed using black colorant that absorbs and doesn't reflect or scatter anything back to the room's atmosphere.

Specifically what I think about a FS Squish Squash reading as bright in evening/shaded areas of your kitchen is that a more balanced full spectrum formula would round that out -- it might still read brighter but it wouldn't be as harsh.

Read this article if you want more details about FS.

Here is a link that might be useful: What you need to know about full spectrum paint

o

I really, really like the squish squash...but I think sundress reminds me more of your inspiration pic. I'm torn, but I suspect either one could be pretty and cheerful.

o

funcolors- Thanks for the info. However, the cabinet maker matches the color- I think with a BM formula and uses a lacquer. Would they be able to mix full spectrum??? Or, would I need to choose a different brand of paint than BM?

Thanks so much-
2LF

o

Are any of these colors yellow enough for you? They still look creamy to me...at least in the pics...whereas your inspiration pic looks more creamy yellow to me. And your dishes and fabric contain much deeper shades of yellow than your paint sample.

I don't see a good color in my BM fan deck to recommend...which has happened to me twice before recently. Now I find the color I want when I look at Martha Stewart colors at Home Depot....they don't sell her paint any more, but they will still mix her colors. Might be worthwhile taking a look as you will have to live with your choice for awhile.

She has a color called Lady's Mantle that has a bit more yellow to it.

or Citron

or Dayliliy

Of course I'm only looking on line and in RL they may be different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart colors

o

My eye is immediately drawn to Squish Squash, it is so warm and beautiful. And although as another poster mentioned, it is not the same color as your inspiration pic, I think your fabric choice, the colander and bowl all "tame" it a bit, as they are even more saturated than the paint. (Btw, I really love the fabric and tile that you chose!) Best wishes!

o

Annie- Love all those- I'd have to see them in person.

My BM colors are all quite saturated on the swatches and in other rooms I think OMG- that's YELLOW! But then in my kitchen they change. Like Squish Squash in this morning's sun was so pale but then sometimes it's bright... so I'm thinking I need a color that will work as the light changes. I thought the Squish Squash was similar to inspiration photo. How do you think it differs? Is the inspiration warmer, cooler, more/less saturated? I know it's hard with photos and the ones I'm taking give you an idea but aren't a perfect representation...as you know : )

Here are my colors this morning with full sun...

squish squash:
IMG_0820

squish squash and Sundress (which looks very beige in the sun)
IMG_0821

IMG_0822

Thanks for all the compliments. The tile is by Wizard Tile and is called Ribbons & Feathers. It's hand done.

IMG_0538.JPG

Here are the pendants I may use over the island (9 x 4), however I'm going to have the shades done in my bird fabric instead. What do you think?

images

Large_EU-060

And maybe a valance over the kitchen window something like this...
this is glamorous1

Other inspirations/elements:

Kitchen designed by Betsy Speert:

s7208c

Imperial Danby

DSC09247.JPG

butterYellowHandtie36BIG

yellow-gerber-daisy0white-roses-bouquet

chrome pull

o

PS- Annie, where can I get Martha Stewart swatches? I wonder if my cabinetmaker can match Martha Stewart?

o

Did you try Color Stories Honeybee?

It might go a little beigey on you, too; at least check out the chip.

o

marcolo- In the store I didn't like it compared to some of my other choices but of course I couldn't get a chip to take home : (

Here's the other side of kitchen (the last one is with lights on)

Tiny strip on left is Little Angel, then Hay Stack, then Squish Squash, then Sundress (top 2/3).
IMG_0823

IMG_0824

IMG_0827

The pics really are making Squish Squash look more orangey. Also Little Angel looks better in the photo but IRL it's more bright/flourescent looking

o

It may be my monitor, but to me it does not look like any of the samples look like your inspiration pic. Of what I see, I like Haystack the best. I like squish-squash the least.
The SS looks orangey to me. Know I am the odd one out here, but just going by what I see. I love everything you have picked out for your kitchen!! It will be so cheery!!!

o

Donald Kaufman is full spectrum; their color (DK-30, I believe but there is only one clear yellow) is lovely color you might want to consider. I have large sample board painted with it and I'm looking at it right now around the corner of my laptop and it is a good match for how your inspiration pics display on my screen (big caveat there). It's wonderful color that looks great in both very light areas and dim-ish ones. I move my sample board around almost as a piece of art.

When I look at all the samples you've shown they look as if the lack the intrinsic yellowness of your inspiration picture. They seem pale, straw-y, versions of browns/tans rather than the very lightened-up golden/warm yellow tones in your inspiration pic. (Some of them look like that in real life to me, as well, as I have sampled them previously.)

I would check with your cabinet maker to see if his sprayers can handle the actual paint spec'ed (by actual brand and color name/number) or merely the "equivalent" in whatever type of paint he uses for spraying the cabs. If he's using the equivalent, then I think your chances of getting a correct match if you choose a full spectrum paint will be poor. For one thing, the FS folks don't give out their formulas (BM Color Stories may be exception) and it's pretty much impossible for computer matching to replicate the complex and very small amounts of all the pigments used in F/S. If you cabinet maker will spray any paint you bring, then I think you could use F/S.

HTH
L.

o

Thanks very much... I'll talk to my cabinet maker to see what he is able to do or how the process works.

Can anyone tell me why I can't find a color like my inspiration? I've been through hundreds it seems.

liriodendron- "When I look at all the samples you've shown they look as if the lack the intrinsic yellowness of your inspiration picture. They seem pale, straw-y, versions of browns/tans rather than the very lightened-up golden/warm yellow tones in your inspiration pic."
Why is that? I want a yellow tone and mine are coming up light but when I go to a more saturated yellow they tend to look obnoxious. Are there colors I am missing?? I mean hay stack is only the 2nd color on the strip and looks too bright.... and Little Angel was worse.
I really am exhausted of this over months and months of searching. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't know.

o

One more thing... when I was in the America's Heartland/Cornsilk/Barley/Golden Lab/Vellum area I could see why these would look like versions of brown/tan... but now that I am clearly in the yellow section of the fan deck you'd think these would be right... no?

o

Firstly, it's all about individual monitors. If you think Squish Squash *matches* the inspiration picture, then it does. Because it's about what you see. Not what we see. Yellow and grays are two of the most difficult colors to translate monitor to monitor (blue is one of the easiest which is why blue is so popular for websites)

Yellow in real life is a challenge too. Combine that with what sounds like an interesting situation with inherent light and it makes sense that finding the yellow you see in the inspiration picture and want in your head has not been a snap.

And that's also why I'm wondering if 'regular' color palettes have been exhausted and maybe full spectrum palettes, yellows are worth a look.

o

I wouldn't spazz. I think you've got a few reasonable choices there.

No color in real life is going to look exactly like a well-staged, well-lit Photoshopped photograph. It's impossible. If you saw your inspiration kitchen IRL you might not even like it. Plus, remember that yellow reflects on itself. Before I put in drapery and furniture, the corners of my LR were so scary I couldn't look at them--now they're fine.

Also, seeing multiple yellows on top of each other throws off each one.

Which color looks best in your space?

o

I posted a link to the martha stewart colors in my post, but the samples I saw were still at my local home depot so you may want to check with them....

i LOVE the color of the bridal bouquet...that is really the color you are looking for. Is there a way to print out the pic and get a color match from the paint store? My local BM dealer does a great job of matching colors and recording the mix digitally so they can recreate it for your cabinet guy....

o

Also, look at the wood floors in the inspiration pic vs your floors. They are very gold tone wood and are adding to the warmth of the yellow in the cabinets. What floor will you have? Can you get some wood tones down on the floor (a piece of cheap paneling in the right shade would work) and see if that doesn't change the tones of the yellows you already have. I think it's the floor that is throwing you off.

o

Thanks everyone! I spoke to my cab guy and he said they use a catalyzed conversion varnish that is pigmented. He has a company/lab that does the colors and he says they are spot on. That being said, he seemed wary about the full spectrum making a difference in this case b/c they are matching the color but not using the brand's product. Also, as you said, maybe the FS companies have secret formulas. (Who knows if the BM color stories are available??)

He did say any brand though.

YES- love that bridal bouquet! That was one of the first inspirations I found. When I hold it to my "colors" it does seem to work too! Some colors lend more towards the shaded areas of the flowers and other the lighter areas. Wouldn't it be hard to get a match from BM being there are various shade/colors within the bouquet?

The wood I posted above is the walnut for the island top. The wood floors of our 1st floor were stained in Minwax Provincial. I like it b/c it's not too dark and I also don't like light wood floors much. Here's a photo. We planned on continuing this into the kitchen. It varies in different lighting of course but this is from my bedroom in the front of the house.

IMG_0828

IMG_0829

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have to run as we're having a big birthday party for my sister tonight but I'll be back tomorrow! : )

o

Wow, those colors are getting really washed out in your daylight, at least on my monitor. I'd say Squish Squash looks most "yellow" day and night, although perhaps a bit warmer than the inspiration photo. The others barely read yellow during the daylight.

Notice, though, that in the inspiration photo, the windows are behind most of the cabinets we can see. Of course, we have no idea if there are other windows in the room. But if that's the only natural light, it may explain how deeply yellow the cabinets appear because there's no light directly hitting them. If you notice, the one cabinet next to the range that has the ray of sun on it does appear more washed out than the others.

You may have to go for a deeper (brighter?) yellow if you want that rich yellow during the daytime in full light...but then nighttime may be too yellow for you.
I do remember reading somewhere (maybe on here?) that you should choose paint colors based on how they look between 10 and 2 pm on a cloudy day. Not sure why, but why not? May help in finally making a decision. ;)

o

Yellow is tricky color because it can easily tip warm or cold depending on its admixtures.

That's why when I found the Kaufman color I was so pleased because it stays lovely no matter what light it gets.

However if your cab guy is going to mix up the color in some other base of paint (i.e. catlyzed varnish) controlled by a computer matching process then you should not try a Kaufman color (or indeed in my experience any other F/S one) as many of the pigments are likely to be "invisible" to the computer's analysis, particularly in light colors where the amount of colorants is already very small. If you do go ahead, you should definitely ask for a sample of what your cabinet maker is going to use before OK-ing the whole job.

Marcolo's point about the color in photograph not being a "real-life" one is quite true. The photographic lighting (not the "apparent light" coming in the window), the process of making the photograph (film devlopment or digitization), any photo-shopping in the editing process, and the realities of printing (or display on your monitor if it came online) all combine to create a color that simply may not exist in any paint brand. Could it be custom created by a skilled colorist? Of course, but then you'd be once again at the mercy of the cab company's computer-matching program for the final color. At least if you chose a big brand paint, with a known formula, if the cabs come out wonky you'll have a leg, and paint sample card, to stand in requesting a do-over, if needed.

Maybe you should abandon trying to exactly match the inspiration pics and instead focus on getting a color that works well with what you have already committed to (paper, tile, counter tops, etc.) Have you tried contacting the designer of room? Maybe she knows the name of the paint, but I caution you even if you knew the name - and even the precise formula - it will likely not match the picture at all because of the factors I noted above.

What you are trying to do is match the look of the picture and that may be impossible, at least with any particular commercially avialbale shade as none may match it at all.

L.

o

I had to stop at home depot today so I looked at the martha stewart colors and I'm sorry to say I didn't like any of them....they looked much harsher in real life...you need something softer and more luminous.

o

I agree that the floor color may be throwing you off. In the daytime pics, the floor looks like it has some pinkish undertones. In the night shots, they seem to disappear, though it's hard to say what's happening IRL instead of on my monitor. Can you use a piece of wood stained with the color you'll be using on the floor next to the cabinets? And maybe put a white sheet on the floor and any other surfaces that can be picking up reflected light/color?
I had an eye opening experience many years ago when I painted an entire apartment in Linen White. The room with the brown rug looked like a warm brownish white, and the rooms with blue carpet had a blue tint. In any case, if the pinkish undertones are really there in the old floor, they will make ANY yellow you put next to them look terrible. Just a thought.

o

Not to undermine anything I have said before--you do have some good choices and you should focus first on what looks good in the space--but I have come to the conclusion that Ben Moore makes a lot of really and truly cr*p yellows.

I was flipping through the deck for the umpteenth time, and I'm really amazed how much of it they dedicated to recreating the video feed from a baby's colonoscopy. Absolutely putrid greeny yellows take up by far the majority of all of their fan decks.

o

@marcolo lmfao

o

Having a yellow kitchen is very beautiful and soothing to the eyes of an individual to visit in your place.

o

Hi Fishies. I not blown away by any of your choices painted above. I previously suggested BM Soleil AF-330 to you over in Kitchens. Have you looked at that yellow? DH just painted the exterior of our house that color. Its really lovely. Yellow without screaming at you. Cheery and crisp. When searching for the right yellow, I knew I wanted a yellow similar to your inspiration pic. (heck, every time I see a pretty yellow house, fabric, accessory, etc I think of your pic.) I think I achieved that with Soleil. My BM store owner said its one of the most popular yellows. Wishing you good luck!

o

The iPad has an app with behr where you can select a picture and it will try to match the color for you. So I picked the bridal bouquet and there are so many shades of yellow in there, but a couple of suggestions worthwhile looking at are windsong and sweet corn.

Also look at summer resort and moon dance and honey tone.

I agree with marcolo about BM colors though not necessarily baby BM! But as big as their fan deck is, it misses a lot of great colors between the clear shades and the grayed down ones.

o

I just did the same thing with your inspiration photo and ii tried to pick a spot that wasn't too lit or too shadowed and it suggested honey beige or quiet veranda.

HTH!

o

Soleil just reads as a yellowy off-white, especially in indoor light. We just tried CSP Honeybee and Country Comfort. Might be worth a look.

I'm not sure I'm getting the FS angle. These colors are nice but there's nothing extra spectacular about the quality. Plus, what is the benefit of paint that changes color more than normal? Are we now supposed to buy electrified fabrics that change color with them?

o

2LittleFishies, I think you're getting analysis paralysis. Even if you find the yellow that everyone with their different computer monitors miraculously agrees is THE ONE, and even if that color could be perfectly matched by the cabinet guy...what if it didn't 'go' with your other choices, like flooring and fabric? It sounds like you were pretty sold on the Squish Squash earlier, and you're the one who will actually live with it and can see what it looks like in real life, unhindered by camera and computer distortion. The important thing, IMO, with inspiration pics isn't necessarily making an exact replica so much as creating a similar feeling. I think you're on the right track for that. Deep breath, and good luck!

o

Yellows are really hard and important to get right. Because when they are wrong, they are soooo very wrong a lot of the time. The yellow in your inspiration pic is beautiful and it reads as very butter yellow to me. Which is exactly what I wanted for my exterior when I moved in a decade ago. I searched and searched for it - and only found it on a few homes with vinyl siding. Eventually, after a million splotchs, I took a piece of it to a paint guy who is a guru and he was able to match it with some trial and error and viola, I had the perfect butter yellow house. It's not easy to match glossy images like siding or magazine pics, but it might be worth talking to someone who REALLY knows their paint.

I have the formula around here somewhere, if you want me to try to dig it up. It was Ben Moore.

o

hlove- Glad to see you here : ) Yes, your Hawthorne Yellow looks so yellow and spider 96's as well. Here it is in my kitchen:

nighttime: (left drawer/door)
IMG_0755

daytime: (left drawer/door)
IMG_0754

liriodendron-
The cab maker said I can give him any brand/color and they can do it. The 2nd way they match is if you give him a picture or a color and they do a computer match but that the brand/color gives better results. He also said he'd definitely want a chip as well so that he can make sure what he sprays is the same.
Everything you said makes a lot of sense and I agree with you and marcolo said that more important than matching the inspiration pic is to choose a color that works in my space and that I love.

Annie- Thanks for saving me a trip to view the Martha Stewart colors!

I agree that the floors could throw off what I'm seeing and will keep that in mind.

marcolo- I agree about the BM yellows! lol

breezy- Thanks for the suggestion but soleil is way too light and beige looking- even moreso than what I already have painted on the cabs. The chips of many of these colors look nice... just not on my kitchen cabs.

Annie- I'll check out the Behr paints. Are they at Home Depot?

jessica- Thanks so much! So far Squish Squash is my favorite but I still feel there should be something better out there : ) I think being these cabs are so expensive and not something like a wall you can re-paint I just want to make sure about my decision.

So, I'm wondering if BM colors 2020-60 Moonlight, 2019-60 Lemon Sorbet, 2021-60 Provence Creme, or 2018-60 Lighthouse might work. I put these in the "no" pile months ago but looking at the color strips they look nice and easier on the eyes than Hay Stack which I did like for a bit but ended up a bit bright in some lighting. I'll dig them out tomorrow.

Also, Sherwin Williams doesn't have too many options... Solaria looked bad.
Maybe Butter Up (6681) or Friendly Yellow (6680)?

The issue is that I do like the creamy/buttercream colors but with the natural light I have they just get washed out.

Here are my colors in the evening with blinds closed and just my kitchen lights on. (All my lighting will be different of course with the new kitchen)
In these photos they don't seem to match the wedding bouquet photo, but IRL are a bit closer... Santo Domingo Cream (not shown) does go well with the bouquet but in daylight it is sooo light and beige-looking.
SUNDRESS:
IMG_0836, Sundress

SQUISH SQUASH:
IMG_0837, Squish Squash

HAY STACK:
IMG_0838, Hay Stack

AND... here are some other yellow kitchen shades I like:

kit-yel-antiqueisland1-435

OLDD_YellowKitchen

My inspiration from a different source-- Does it look different from the one at the top of the thread?
bs kitchen

204563_0_8-4446-traditional-bathroom

25523_373843201658_153784876658_3889654_3812820_n[1]

25523_373843181658_153784876658_3889651_2988211_n[1]

o

Why don't you try mixing a bit of the paints that you have to see if you can come up with the perfect for you shade of yellow? I used to always mix my own if I was doing reds, it was the only way I could get the perfect red and it worked. Try the sundress with a bit of hawthorne start with 75% sundress and 25% hawthorne and then add tiny bits til it looks good for a sample. Next experiment with the squish squash, start with 75% squish and add bits of another color. Sometimes its just easier to make your own.

o

If I mix them, how will I give a formula to the cabinet maker?

I think this photo looks warmer......

than this one...

bs kitchen

o

On the two comparison pictures, the stainless steel looks completely different. Because everybody's monitor is different (on mine Squish Squash looks really peachy, Haystack the best), you should follow whoever advised and take the picture you like best and see if they can mix the color.

o

Squish Squash is too yellow, at least on my monitor.

I have SW Tealight in my kitchen, but on their website it looks more beige and it's not.

It's a pale buttery color that doesn't scream yellow, but is still a light, creamy yellow.

o

I feel your pain! I get paint paralyzed myself and can't move forward sometimes. I really love your choices, though, and inspiration photos. Your kitchen is going to look really lovely and so homey.

I agree with hellokitty that on my monitor the squish squash looks peachier than the hay stack. That's not necessarily bad, and it may just be my monitor distorting the oolor.

When you get the cabinets all painted, the color may look more intense. I once saw a friend's new kitchen and loved her buttery yellow cabinets. She told me they were painted Sherwin Williams Ivory. I picked up the swatch and almost didn't believe it was the correct one because it didn't look yellow to me, but her cabinets definitely did.

Someone on this forum once said that a room doesn't have to be perfect to look beautiful. Maybe try picking the color you most lean towards, paint a large area painting over your other sample colors, and just see if you are happy with it rather than trying to find the "perfect" color. If not, try another one of your color. I'd paint a good sized poster board and set it against your wood flooring, too, to see if it looks good with it. Honestly, I think it's going to be beautiful with any of those colors, whether you find the "perfect" one or not. Can't wait to see it when it's done! Good luck!

o

Fishes, when you take your own mixed paint to the paint store for a color match on a quart and they will give you the formula. If it's Benjamin Moore they can keep the formula for you in their computer as well. I also mixed my own exterior house paint and they have it all on the computer.

Karoloke is 110% right about the color looking more intense once all the cabinets are up. I have creamy butter or butter cream (need more tea) and it was a lot stronger once they were all hung. However, at certain times a day it's softer. I have lots of yellow throughout the house though so all in all it blends.

o

Yes behr is at home depot.

o

I love Behr Opal Cream. I painted our knotty pine walls that color (our bedroom) and it is so warm and sunny and happy. I then painted it on our basement stairwell because I love it so much, and DH nixed it for our kitchen cabinets. *pout*.

Anyway, it is not an obnoxiously glaring or too beigey yellow. I think it is a really nice yellow. That might be one to check out.

o

We did my old kitchen with BM Popcorn Kernel. I loved this shade...it was yellow but not orangey, lemon, or green. Just sunny. Can't find a good pic of that room but this is a bedroom (not mine, I wish!) done in the same color. Reminded me of your inspiration photo right away.

and if you feel like an adventure, this is my "new" old (1700s) house with Old Fashioned Milk Paint in Buttermilk, on the library walls.

Photobucket

Of the colors you have I like Squish Squash but am concerned it might take on that "processed cheese" look in certain light?

o

Thanks everyone! All is Very helpful! I stared at my possibilities today with my Mom and it's so tricky. We really like Squish Squash a lot in certain lighting but unfortunately in other lighting it just isn't good. I liked Clubcracker's "processed cheese". That's it!

The more I look at BM Sundress I like it! Sometimes it's not as "yellow" as I'd like but the benefit is that it looks good in most lighting. I think it's a better choice than Squish Squash at this time. Hay Stack is just too bright and lemonade looking in certain lighting as well.

I AM going to explore some of the Behr colors for sure this week. As far as Sherwin Williams there were a few options but none I liked better than Sundress. Some were nice but too green-y!

I was standing around talking to my GC's project manager for our job about the colors (no, that's not his department but we were waiting in the kitchen for the window guy so I decided to discuss my yellows with him- poor guy!)
Anyway, he brought up a good point that in the new, larger kitchen we will have a 9 x 4 island that will most likely block a good amount of the light that shines down on the bottom of my cabinets now- making most of my colors get washed out!. The island will be white... Of course, the sun moves around, etc... but it may just take that bright sun off of where the yellow will be on that one wall.

Tomorrow is another day...

o

clubcracker- I did try Popcorn Kernel and didn't like it as much as Sundress. Sundress had a bit more yellow and PK looked peachy in my kitchen. That bedroom picture is beautiful though and so is your library!! : )

o

The sunlight & overhead lighting will make the cabs yellower, the shade/darkness will make the yellow creamier.

I just did a walk-about in my utility room/kitchen/DR/hallway. lol.

I'd choose the color you want for now, paint several pieces of large cardboard and hang them in different spots in the house where various levels of light and darkness hits them, and you'll see what your cabs will look like.

Don't just experiment in the kitchen though.

o

OK got the Sundress Chips from BM today... I already had the paint sample but no chips.

Went to Home Depot and looked at Martha- nothing. Then, Behr- I saw a lot of ugly yellows today. Brought home 4 promising paint samples but so far they aren't doing much for me. Maybe after they dry and I put another coat tomorrow morning.
Wickerware, Lively Yellow, Song of Summer, and Lemon Souffle.

I got one chip from Glidden- Natural Straw

PS- The Benjamin Moore Hay Stack chips (I have four 5x9's) don't match what I painted on the wall very well. Squish Squash is also a bit off from the chip. Is this common? Which do I "trust" when choosing, the paint on the wall or the chip itself?

o

I'm running out of cabs to paint! What's something else good I can paint on? Also, I'm wondering if painting over yellows from last week is giving me the right color? I assume with 2-3 coats it should be fine?

o

Did you try BM Color Stories Honeybee? You might like it. A bit deeper than Sundress.

Really, it's impossible to say whether the paint or chip is more reliable. Sometimes the stores mix the sample paint wrong--I ended up with half my house the wrong color that way.

I'm wondering if you should try a few more, but them move on to inquire whether you can get several color matched lacquer samples, since there will be something lost in translation anyway. At some point it just makes more sense to do your fine-tuning in the medium you'll actually use.

o

I feel like I didn't like the chip but I'll look again. I did take a few others from Color Stories- and nothing I liked. Yellow Topaz was too deep.

The few I got today are looking nice. I'll see tomorrow better. I really need to be done with this. I told DH I'm changing my name- he said, "To what? Kook?"
lol I was going to say "Ms. Moore".

I think it's a big deal for the cab guy to do samples. If I recall, they charge a fee to color match per color for the job ($100?). A lab is involved, then spraying, etc. I can't imagine going through the process for sample doors although I'll ask. Maybe even if I'm between 2 colors, I can compare better.

I'm hoping one of the ones I painted tonight may end up being between Sundress and Squish Squash somewhere. I think Song of Summer is a bit light but the jury is still out on the other 3. I liked BM Hay Stack too but just toned down a bit.

Bottom line- I just want a really pretty color that's not on the green side... and would prefer a beautiful cream to a yellow that may be too bright/harsh in some lighting. Should that be so difficult? : /

o

For your next paint store trip(!) try picking up a little can of untinted base. If you have a color that's almost there but you'd like to tone down just a hair, try playing with diluting it. If you achieve victory, then you can go back to the store to confirm with one last sample mixed to your specs--say, Haystack at 50%. Just remember to keep track of what you add very precisely.

o

Or, as I said above if there is a color you like...say Sundress but you would like it more if it were kicked up a tiny notch so add a bit of another color you almost like except you are worried it maybe a tad too vibrant. You can then buy a quart of it and get the recipe from the paint store to pass on.

o

Thanks marcolo and jterrilynn- Very helpful! I wonder if the Color Story colors can get mixed with the regular BM colors???
I'm scared this will start a whole new time consuming process : ) I'll be like a mad scientist! I guess you just mix 1/2 one color and 1/2 another here at home? Or can I ask them to do it?

o

You described the yellow in my kitchen exactly. SW Tealight.

Again, if you look at the color at their website it may look beigeish, but it's not.

If it helps any, I was in the same boat as you because yellow is a very tricky color to choose. A color consultant found this yellow for me and it's perfect.

o

Don't go all mad scientist, Fishies--little of this, touch of that. You'll never be able to reproduce. Stick with simple changes--same color, not as much tint; or maybe 50/50 of two colors if you really must. Try at home and then re-order from the store.

One caution--it's pretty common to spec a regular color at 50% or 200% or whatever, but I don't know if they can do it with Color Stories.

o

I have not read all the responses but when I saw your inspiration picture the first color I thought of was Restoration Hardware's Butter. It has been used and recommended on this forum many times.

There are lots of images on Google.

o

I have another idea for you!

This kitchen was featured in the Nov 2004 Traditional Home magazine. This information is posted on this blog:

http://www.allthebestblog.co.uk/2007/10/betsy-speert.html

Linked below, there is a copy for sale on Ebay for $3.99!

Traditional Home usually has paint colors(sources) for everything in their magazine. You could buy it and ask the seller to look it up for you or just wait for the magazine to arrive.

I chose several paint colors in my home from an issue of Traditional Home mag a few years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen in Magazine

o

Thanks! I bought it : )
I have been in contact a few times with Betsy Speert about the kitchen and she keeps telling me she'll put in on her blog sometime but hasn't yet. I also emailed her this week about colors but she didn't respond. I don't blame her but I keep hoping I can get more info on that kitchen!

o

Great. If you find out, let us know what the color is!

o

Yes, but like others said I may not even like it in person in my kitchen! LOL

Regarding Squish Squash 311 I still really like it on my one wall but on the other it's a bit much. Needs to be toned down. Like marcolo said maybe i'll add base to it so I can keep it in the same color buy just tone it down? What should I start with 75% SS and 25% untinted base?

o

Not to freak you out more on your cabinet color selection but you can spend all this time on the perfect cabinet color and it can all be thrown off by not getting the perfect wall color to feature all the work put into the cab color. In my quest to have some warmth on the wall to tie in the floor color which sometimes looks sort of orange and warm and sometimes looks like a washed out reddish pinkish terra cotta I had a heck of a time because it threw off the cabinet color. I finally found the solution by dry brushing an acrylic version of the cabinet color over the warmer color I had painted on the wall. My walls are textured so I although its subtle it goes along with the color changes that happen with having one whole wall of the kitchen glass windows. One of these days I will post some updated kitchen pictures as the ones I have posted do not show the subtle change. So, I guess what I'm saying is that maybe there is not a perfect cabinet color. You can manipulate one of the colors that you have so far by the colors you put on the wall. Get a color expert to your house before you go mad woman. Some wall colors could make it look more yellow and some wall colors can mellow it out. It's just a thought.

o

Yes--don't try to over fine-tune. 25% or 50% or 200%, that kind of thing, not 68.8%.

Also realize the base will lighten the whole thing. Sometimes if you ask a good paint store to "tone down" a color they actually add a little light gray rather than just diluting it, which might be another option. Don't try to do that at home. If you really get that close where you just want a color to be a little grayer, just get the paint store to do the final cut.

o

Thanks, I may start with Squish Squash 75% (25% base)

Just wrote down all 10 colors I've been looking at over the last couple of weeks (painted) and crossed out 7. Not bad. One of those (Behr Wickerware) is a lot like Sundress painted. I can BARELY detect a difference. I think the Sundress is better. Then, I have Squish Squash, and Behr Lemon Souffle which looks a tad peach next to my other choice but I'm trying to block those out and just look at it straight on. I'm thinking I may be better to go more cream/beige than to have any pink/peach arise...

At this point I really am splitting hairs but I guess that's just me. lol

o

RE: Toning it Down

I want to do whatever will make it easier for the cab people to duplicate. I assume having an exact percentage vs. "throwing in gray" to tone it down would be better correct? Then we'd have an exact formula and I can also paint up a sample to give to the cabinet guy as he said it's always a help to refer to to see if the color is correct.

o

OK, now that I'm leaning towards Sundress which is full spectrum from BM Color Stories, Im hoping my cab maker would even be able to DO that color..

From the BM site:
Each Color Stories color is much like a secret recipe. Only select authorized Benjamin Moore retailers will be equipped to mix them and, without knowing the correct colorant ratios, these hues are impossible to duplicate. "The retailers who take on Color Stories will really qualify as paint mixologists, because the process requires such infallible accuracy," Gomez remarked.

o

I hope it's the pile of BS that it sounds like.

Other than Color Stories, almost all the Ben Moore yellows are wretched.

o

You know what???
I suddenly LOVE Sundress! I don't know if it "settled in" after a few days of drying but it really IS yellow (not beige) and is less bright than Squish Squash. I tried a bunch of Behr yellows that were similar to BM squish squash and hay stack and they still were just not great on the cabs without direct sun.

I emailed my cabinetmaker about if there would be any issues with toning down Squish Squash, however I don't think I need to do that. Sundress is lovely. NOW, let's just hope if I go with Sundress than they can get the right formula being its from Color Stories! Maybe it would be a plus that it is full spectrum. In the evening it still has a nice tone to it and just gets a bit more beige- which is fine.

Here are some photos from today:

Sundress
IMG_0842

Sundress all on left and Squish Squash on Right
IMG_0844

*** PS- The white swatch is Cotton Balls.

o

PS- The first photo is more accurate. The 2nd makes it look much more yellow.

o

Very pretty!

o

Fishies--an important update.

I've only seen the swatch in daylight so, but right now, Sundress is almost indistinguishable from BM Good Vibrations. I think it's 296 but double check.

If you agree, it might be easier on your cabinetmaker to match Good Vibrations.

o

I have a 5x9 of GV and it is peachier. I tried to take a good photo both swatch to swatch and GV swatch to Sundress Paint on Cabinet.

Actually Behr's Wickerware is VERY VERY close (more in the light that in the dark, but could be an option)

GV swatch and SD swatch side by side:
IMG_0845

SD paint on left, SD swatch on bottom, GW swatch right
IMG_0846

GV swatch on SD painted cab
IMG_0847

IMG_0848

Sundress (left) BEHR Wickerware on right:

a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/gymboval/yellow accents/?action=view¤t=692fdfc7.jpg" target="_blank">IMG_0849

I appreciate the info though! Thank you!

o

However, wickerware looks more vibrant yellow than SD in the shady spots... maybe that's the full spectrum difference?

o

I don't know if you can test the paint that your cabinet guy ultimately uses, but if you have it color matched, it might be a good idea before he does all the painting to check and see if you like the color. I've had paint matched that was done absolutely perfectly. But I've had other cans mixed that were so far off it was ridculous. I had BM Monroe Bisque mixed once (which is a beige with golden undertones) and it came out very green, and they even had the Monroe Bisque formula. And I had a red matched once that came out really purple. So you might want to double check before the painter does the work if you have paint matched in order to use another brand.

o

My GV chip looks nothing like that. Isn't this fun?

o

marcolo- Oh no! Why am I not surprised? Also several of my paint chips differ from what I actually paint.

Either way, I should have cab guy check his formula and have me make sure a sample door matches what I am planning on!

o

karoloke- thanks! He uses as catalyzed lacquer- not a paint. He has a lab that does color matching. I'll have to check into this further...

o

So far I think Sundress is your best bet, but I agree that the painter needs to make a small batch and try it out before you commit.

o

Fishes, I have a BM color you might like. Give me a bit and I'll show a painted sample next to white.

o
me again

Oh never mind, it doesn't matter what color I take a picture of it comes out green with my camera. I was trying to show a few of my favorite yellows next BM soft beige (which isn't beige but is a light warm yellow). Anyway, my favorite yellow of all time is Behr Cut Squash which would be too dark but the next two shades up are Corn Silk 1B14-2 (lovely) and very light but nice Vanilla Hint 1B142. None of these colors look anything at all even in your wildest dreams like the swatch.
The reason I like the Corn Silk and very light Vanilla Hint is that they have orange undertone so they never look harsh but somehow they look very dimentional and also show a soft golden cream mixed in. When you first paint it on you see the under tone but when it dries its just perfect and lightly rich.

o

What a cheerful and lovely kitchen. I can see why it's your inspiration.

It looks to me like those cabinets are not strictly yellow. It seems like they were distressed a bit with perhaps some grey on the edges? Achieving that result might be a little more involved than just using yellow paint alone.

It looks like that picture came from a magazine. Often, at the back of magazines, in very small print they will say what paint colors, fabrics, etc. were used. Not always, but if you can find out where that picture first appeared, you might get the name of that paint color. Or, if you can get the name of the designer, you can contact him/her to ask what paint was used.

Best wishes. I feel your pain over trying to get just the right color!

o

jterrilyn- I tried Behr Cornsilk yesterday and didn't like it. The number is different though 320A-3 and it's one word. I took every yellow they have and I don't have the swatch for the ones you mention. I"ll check back at Home Depot.

o

I emailed my cab guy about Sundress. Of course, he can color match from chip but I'd prefer they have a formula. He'll check with his lab.

So, I'm looking at whites for uppers with Sundress. I don't want to get as nuts with this if at all possible!!!

Here's my choices so far: Some yellow in it is fine, but I don't want gray tones.
BM :
Mountain Peak White 2148-70,
Snowfall White 2144-70,
Simply White 2143-70,
Mascarpone AF-20,
Bavarian Cream OC-123,
Cotton Balls 2145-70.

o

I'm sure these aren't much help but maybe an idea...

IMG_0863

IMG_0864

IMG_0865

IMG_0866

o

In those photos, Cotton Balls looks clean.

And Fishies, Sundress and Good Vibrations still look virtually identical to me in any light. Did you paint on white backgrounds? I used the little overpriced boards that the paint store sells.

Not to make things worse for you, but I'd narrow down to two yellows and then spend the money to have them made up in gloss or semi, or whatever best matches your lacquer. Paint looks different in different levels of sheen.

o

Did you paint them with those 2 colors? I painted on my brown cabs but did 3 coats and even after the 2nd coat I didn't see any brown through it. I'll check into the white board to compare what is on my cabs. Can i just use poster board?
I have 5 good vibrations chips and they all look the same. Of course, in real paint it could be different than the chip!
My cab guy wrote:
"I will give you our color match back for your final approval before we paint anything." He also said if I take Squish Squash down a few notches I can make up a sample board they will match. Says they do it all the time.

o

Spoke to BM customer service. Said Good Vibrations and sundress definitely look very very similar. They both start with white, bright yellow, yellow oxide.
However Sundress has red toner and bright red in it and Good Vibrations has orange instead of the red.

Other than that he said the regular swatches are just ink on paper and Color Stories swatches are aura paint draw downs. (more accurate)

This can't be over soon enough...

marcolo- ps- do you not like sundress? Also, I am not sure what would even be my 2nd choice? Maybe Behr Wickerware, which again does not look like the chip! Maybe I'll paint up some Good Vibrations too!

o

I like Simply white the best, it doesn't look like it would be a glaring white and seems easy to get along with.
My least favorites are Snowfall and cotton balls,they might be too white and jarring next to the what-ever light creamy yellow of the other cabs.
What sheen are you getting for your paint?

o

Simply white looks pink to me. I should go look at my actual fan deck for you, but if I look at that *&^$# thing one more time I'll need to start drinking.

Interesting news about the Color Stories swatches.

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with Sundress. It's nice.

Now I'm drifting toward Popcorn Kernel, suggested by somebody above. My problem is that I need to pick four paint colors for my kitchen. Yes, four. It could be five. Or more. Don't ask. No, my inspiration is not the Partridge Family bus.

o

Yes if you get a chance to look at your fan deck for those colors that would be great : ) Drinking is definitely necessary at this point. And the guy at the paint store thinks I am crazy for sure. On a first name basis.

I didn't love Popcorn Kernel in my space. It's similar to Squish Squash but when I called Ben Moore (himself) they told me that Popcorn Kernel has 50% less yellow than Squish Squash but all the rest is same except PK also has a tiny increase in gray as well. For me taking out 50% of the yellow didn't thrill me.

Sundress was more yellow than PK.

ALSO, I bought a pint of Good Vibrations and painted one coat so far- it's still drying but looks just like Sundress. I'll keep you informed on that : )

I am also painting the few I like on sample cabinet doors that were off-white just to make sure. Then I'll see which ones I like the best.

Lastly, The 2004 Traditional Home mag came from eBay today with my inspiration kitchen . No colors mentioned, but it's nice to have a good picture of it and there are a couple of other angles of the kitchen ...

o

Hi fishes, here is a GW member with BM Simply White cabinets. They do not look pink. There are other examples in different light on googleimages BM simply white.

Scroll down to Lesmis's kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: simply white

o

jterrilynn- thanks! Someone said Simply White is grayish but I don't see that either. I always liked Mascarpone which is yellow based with a drop of red. Some say it looks pinky on the monitor but in person I don't see it
Then again, I feel like I'm blinded by yellow.

o

You have probably burned out all the cones in your retina that sense yellow by now. I'm right behind you.

I just checked the chips. Mind you, at night and with my indoor lighting not yours, but I did walk around between the ugly boob light in my un-reno'd kitchen and the halogen ceiling fixtures in the rest of the house.

I think Simply White will be fine. Looks clean. For some reason Mascarpone looks a little dirty next to the GV when it's raised vertically. Also check it against your fabrics.

Hey--what about your flooring, hardware and all that stuff?

o

Thanks- I'll have to look at the whites better tomorrow... and also see how Good Vibrations compares with Sundress when all coats are done and dried.

I posted about flooring above. We are doing wood floors like we having in LR and DR and planned to use the same stain (Provincial).

I haven't looked at hardware yet but I know I want chrome cup pulls and maybe some glass knobs. I really want to be done with colors so I can move on. I NEVER thought this would have been so hard. I wish I someone just gave me less than 10 choices that I could have just picked from.

I also had to choose siding and decking today. Demo starts next week I think!
The masons finished the foundation today : ) yay!

o

OK, here is Good Vibrations and Sundress:
Sundress is slightly more yellow. The loose door on the left is Good Vibrations and the loose door on the right is Sundress. In between them, on my existing cabinet door, sundress is on the top and you can see the line where GV is on the bottom.

IMG_0867

IMG_0868

IMG_0869

IMG_0870

By the way, IRL these are more yellow than the photos are showing...

In a more shaded area... My present doors in the back also show Sundress on the left and GV on the right

IMG_0872

With blinds closed.. GV on bottom

IMG_0873

o

Here's both with my "stuff". BTW, the drawer on the top is Squish Squash..

IMG_0874

IMG_0875

IMG_0877

IMG_0878

o

From the photos it looks like only Squish squash picks up on your fabrics, but I know those are yellower in real life. I've put my massive library of chips away for the weekend to make room for guests.

o

Yes, they are more yellow IRL, but I still love Squish Squash too but when it was painted on a full door/drawer I could see the in the whole kitchen it could be overpowering. I'm going to try Squish Squash at 75% just to check it out..

Good you put your chips away. Sometimes you have to escape from them for awhile.

o

Marcolo-
What's your take on Squish Squash? Do you agree that it may be too much IRL on all the lowers? I know your chips are away, but just wondering.

o

Way too many posts for me to read them all but have you checked out BM Philadephia cream? I am not a yellow person(sorry:) but I thought it read more creamy on the small sample I painted. Imagine my surprise when it was fully painted and my house was yellow- a nice, soft yellow if I was ino that color but sadly I was not. For you and your inspiration pic, perfect! Just check it out:)

o

***QUICK QUESTION!

I'm going to try Squish Squash at 75%. My question is if I should just do it that way and take all the colors in the formula down

-OR-

Just take down the Bright Yellow in the SS formula down by 25% and leave the small amount of yellow oxide, orange, and gray the same?

o

does your paint guy give you that option? I've only heard of 75% strength, or 50% strength, etc

also, did you paint those cab doors or did your cab guy?

when we had our cabs made, I was given 8x10 wood samples done by my cab guys in his paint. I had ten made up in various off whites. Seeing it on the same wood and in his type of paint made the final choice easier

o

Why not have it mixed both ways?
I totally understand that you're worried about having too strong a yellow, but since it's only going on the base cabs, I don't think you should worry about it too much. After all, the yellow in your inspiration pic is definitely a saturated yellow. If you go too light, you'll lose the contrast between the uppers and lowers. I have to say that i still love how our cabs turned out and because they're just lowers with cream walls, the yellow is not in your face at all; just one facet of the total room.
You'll also have a stained wood floor too, right? I think a stronger yellow might work better. Don't stray from your original vision...be brave and bold! Just my 2c... :)
Good luck!

o

Hey!
I got it at 75% and I'm glad I didn't take his suggestion of 50.
Im out for the day and put on one coat. It looks good so far!

Yes I will have cab guy do a couple of doors.
So far it's just my own paint job!
Hlove your cabs look great and what you said makes sense! : )

Thanks!

o

OK, so far I like squish squash at 75% the best : ) It's not as bright in the evening at full strength. Actually at 75% it's A LOT like Sundress but the tone is just a bit different. A little warmer and better with my fabric. Tomorrow is the last day I can "hang" in my kitchen staring at colors b/c demo is starting Tuesday!

It's actually best b/c if I had another month I'd be testing Squish Squash at 80%, 85%, 93%, ........ you get the idea.. : )

o

I love your inspiration photo! If I had not refinished my cabinets a couple of yrs ago, I would be wanting those same yellow cabinets (mine are stained). IMO, If the 75% Squish Squash looks very simliar to the inspiration photo, I'd go for it! Be sure to post some photos when the cabinets are painted.

o

The designer, Betsy Speert, has a blog. Why not email and ask her the color used? Maybe she will share.

I haven't searched her blog to see if she talks about the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betsy's Blog

o
Warning...

When Besty Speert says (in her blog banner) "a lot of attitude," she's not kidding. Evidently, she only takes questions the first Tuesday of each month - and she's quite vocal about people asking just anytime. Geez....

o

Speert "answered" the question in her blog, below on March 13.

Based one my own experience trying to match colors from rooms I've seen in a magazine, I agree with her. You are not reacting to a color of paint, but to its depiction in a professionally lit photo then produced and edited and printed on a page.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen paint color

o

Thanks Everyone,
Yes, I've been in contact with Betsy a couple of times : ) She didn't give me a color but I know that makes sense b/c they all look different in different places, photos, etc...
It would have been fun to "know" just to compare with what I'm looking at but that's fine.

I haven't photographed Squish Squash at 75% yet but I'll do them later. Like I said, it's not drastically different from Sundress but somewhere in between Sundress and Squish Squash at full. I almost wish I did 85% but seeing it all over the kitchen will surely intensify the color I'm sure : )

o

Small door & painted cab above is Squish Squash at 75%, Sundress on Right
(my cab door on the right is both paints next to each other- ignore..)

DSC09987

DSC09988

Squish Squash 75% on left and Sundress on right
DSC09989

DSC09989

DSC09990

DSC09991

Squish Squash 75%
DSC09992

DSC09993

Sundress is All Left Side and SS75% All Right Side
DSC09995

DSC09996

Squish Squash (FULL STRENGTH) on left and SS75% on Right
DSC09997

Sundress/SSFULL/SS75%
DSC09999

Sundress/SSFULL/SS75%
DSC00001

o

PS- Those aren't my door styles, just extra cabs lying around : )

o

Fish, I don't think you can go wrong with SSquash75% or full strength Sundress. They are both so very nice. Of course I do like the full monty Ssquash too but maybe one of the others would be better for mixing some of the great fabrics, doohicky's and such? It's all going to be fantastic either way...what makes you the happiest?

o

Somewhere on Betsy Speets blog, under the heading, the 6th oy vey Q & A, she says that the bottom of your inspiration kitchen cabinets are BM HC-4, Hawthorne Yellow, and the tops are Mascarpone White. Maybe you saw that already, but just in case.....

o

No, that was me writing that I planned on using those! : )

o

I knew those cabs had to be Hawthorne!

Anyway, you know by now that it doesn't really matter...it needs to look good and like what you want in your kitchen. I really like the 75% SS. I think it gives you the saturation you want without too much yellow at night.
Congratulations...I hope you can rest easy now, at least about this!

o

Oops.... :) Cross-posted.

o

I still like the squish squash full strength.

o

They all look great. The SS full strength looks more like your inspiration picture to me. I like the 75% though. I don't think you can make a mistake with any of the three colors.

Did the magazine arrive yet?

o

dawnp- Yes! It's great to have a real photo, however there wasn't any info on colors or anything : )

o

Figures!

o

Went to look at marble today for fun.. The guy there was recommended to me by a few people. He's great with decorating/color, etc.
Anyway, loves my ideas but says the squish squash (even at 75%) is too bright in his opinion. The lighting was different there of course but I agreed it is bright... especially next to the marble. Just didn't look great together.

He said it looks more Pottery Barn Kids bedroom and is in the right ball park but could stand to be toned down to a more mature looking color. He was so nice and really was helpful. However, I'm not sure what's next. Maybe Sundress.

So tired of this. I went to restoration hardware and got "butter" one of their only yellows. I don't like it.

o

I haven't read all the posts, but looks like you've made your decision on the yellow. I just wanted to add that I have a friend who used Hay Stack in her bedroom, and I see it as a very true yellow, no green or orange undertones. I'm not a fan of yellow, but like it because it is very soft, and doesn't read 'lemon', as a lot of yellows do. ;o)

o

OK, feeling better today. I do agree Squish Squash tends to get super bright in some lighting and being I'm not sure of what my lighting will be in the new kitchen-- that is a concern. Even at 75% it's still a bright shade it seems.

Now leaning towards Sundress, Popcorn Kernel, Good Vibrations...
Also, Restoration Hardware Butter is the darkest, most beige but still could work. I painted all these on large foam boards.

o

Sorry you're having such a tough time finding just the right yellow Fishies, but I think you're right in trying to find a softer toned one, yellow magnifies itself so well that something that looks lighter will seem like so much more once it's on the lower half of all your cabinets. Best of luck in finding just the right shade, your kitchen is already one of my most favorite works in progress. :)

o

I saw Popcorn Kernel last week in my neighbor's kitchen; it's her wall color. Way too light to be a cabinet color. Lighter is not what you need--less intense maybe, but going lighter is how people end up with baby's rooms.

o

Marcolo- what's ur latest thoughts on good vibrations?
It is less bright than sundress on my poster board.
Maybe RH Butter is a good option. Its still not very yellow but i keep hearing it will look yellow once its sll atound kitchen.
..,and I still don't like Hawthorne yellow.

o

Agree with you on Hawthorne. It's not a bad color but it seems like there's a green monster in it staring at you from behind the yellow.

I've put my swatches away for now. I actually broke down and hired a professional color consultant who's been on TV! She can't come until September but that works OK for me.

Doesn't your cabinet company have any ideas? Surely they've done yellow cabs before?

o

Good for you! That's what I need! Where do I find one? : )
I haven't asked my cabinet guy actually...
The gentleman at the stone yard did have a good idea of trying to gathering yellow cabinet swatches at different places so I can see the yellows that cabs typically come in. The few I have so far are very greenish to me.

o

I found one here. Although I recognized her from TV and articles after I found her site.

I second the idea of gathering of cab door swatches.

o

I just saw this last night and contacted 2 color consultants in NJ. I think one or two meetings would be fabulous to pick the cab color and then paints, fabrics, etc... Maybe even which cabs to paint yellow and how it will all go with the dining area.

I did get 6 or 7 yellow cabinet swatches from a couple of kitchen places I stopped into. I found most have a green hue to them but one I did like looked like a nice buttercream color. Shockingly, when holding it next to my paint boards & chips it was actually deeper/dirtier/browner than I would have expected.

I'm thinking that to make a yellow less juvenile/bright it has to be dirtied up somehow. I held that cabinet swatch up next to BM BARLEY and it was actually similar. SO, now I repainted Cornsilk & Barley on a loose cabinet door and I'll see how that goes. I think I'm liking Barley! I ruled that one out at least 3 times prior b/c it looked too brown but maybe that's b/c it was painted among my super bright yellows. Now I can look at it on it's own. I know there are many who love Vellum (even browner) and still say it looks yellow! That one is too much for me I think but Barley and maybe Golden Lab might be good and it goes well with the gold in the danby marble.

I just want it to still read yellow so I'll keep checking it out.

I think I've ruled out Sundress & Squish Squash for being too bright. Then I have Cornsilk, Barley, Good Vibrations and SW Banana Cream. Depending on how I view Cornsilk/Barley today in my (town down) kitchen I may look at Mushroom Cap and Golden Lab. ( I think Mushroom and Cornsilk are a little light though).

BTW, I meant no offense to those of you with Hawthorne. It's not a bad color at all- just not what I am picturing for my kitchen : )

o

Why not go back to that marble guy you thought was good with color and see if he is available to come by house and look at your samples.

o

Yes, I may do that but if I can get an actual color consultant here that might be better. Thanks : )

o

These are pretty light yellow colors that appear to be very similar to your inspiration photo.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/lemonglow

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Color Lemonade

o

I know these aren't always helpful, but here are my current 4 which are ALL LESS BRIGHT than Squish Squash and Sundress.... this is in my kitchen with full sun.

Good Vibrations, SW Banana Cream, Cornsilk, Barley
IMG_1010, Good Vibrations, Banana Cream, Cornsilk, Barley

Good Vib, Banana Cream
IMG_1012, Good Vib, Banana Cream

Banana, Cornsilk, Barley
IMG_1013, Banana, Cornsilk, Barley

Cornsilk, Barley
IMG_1014, Cornsilk, Barley

Barley
IMG_1017, Barley

Cornsilk
IMG_1019, Cornsilk

Sherwin Williams Banana Cream
IMG_1020, Banana Cream

Good Vibrations
IMG_1022, Good Vibrations

o

Have you decided on the yellow? Of the last pics posted, SW Banana Cream looks nice in all, & certainly looks like your inspiration photo. Barley would be #2.

o

Barley is the winner-- hands down! Goes best with the Danby and the others, though nice, fight with the gold in the danby a bit. In person it's really great and I am so DONE. lol

cabinet color--- C H E C K ! ! !

o

I'm amazed Barley looks like that on your cabs. I had my walls glazed (hey! It was the mid-'90s!) with several colors from that strip in my old condo. The effect was very nice but clearly gold rather than yellow. However, the pure color doesn't look like that on your cabs at all. Congratulations!

o

Thanks marcolo!

I think my yellows needed to be dirtied up and barley seems to do it without becoming green or peach. I'm still surprised too but so far everyone I show it too says its much better than my previous options. It's really lovely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here