Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Please... which frame looks best on this print?

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

Please... which frame looks best on this print? One is a 2.5" wide Bronze Nail head frame with a white mat first and the smaller skinny inner mat an autumn brown. The other frame is a 1.75" wide Walnut Frame with a White Mat and a skinny inner chestnut mat. The third frame is an antique crackle bronze frame that is 2" wide with a white mat and a skinny inner chestnut mat.

The links will be in the next post.

The picture is of a Japanese Garden in Washington State and is a art print I bought online.

I need to clean up my family room to take pictures but the description is a 10X 14 or 12 X 14 room that is open to the kitchen so part of the size of the room is the walk way into the kitchen with only a half wall long and high (the counter) separating the two rooms. The family room has a sofa that Natuzzi called Taupe and it matched a taupe purse I once owned and is more of a medium beige with a touch of gray and a touch of brown in it but it is more on the light side but definitely darker than creme. The glass coffee tables and glass end tables are modern pieces from The House of Norway with reddish brown legs. The floor is Brazilian Cherry Engineered 5" wide planks. The wall the sofa is on is BM Bone White (a light tan that is creamy in some lights) and the wall next to the sofa is a wall of windows with Champagne horizontal sheer blinds and the other wall across is not much of a wall since there is stairway with spindles going up that appear to be either walnut or oak with white spindles. The room is very beige with the same beige-taupe recliner and it needs color especially due to the cathedral ceiling. The kitchen as stainless steel appliances and for now (will change one day) almond counters, beige floors and BM Bone White soffit and the wall under the cabinets since there is no other wall in the kitchen being that the wall there is a sliding door with Hunter Douglas Alabaster Soft Vertical blinds. I will see if I can post pictures tomorrow but I am not liking the use of this new site since MyPhotoAlbum.com went out of business and directed me to this site to use up my paying membership. I used to be able to post the pictures bigger.

Comments (28)

• annzgw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You can start a photo album for free at photobucket.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you annz, since I tried to follow-up with the link but it was making someone sign in and I am not happy with this site. Let me try the photobucket.com site.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the link: 3 Frames to help me decide on for the same Japanese Garden Art Print. The Nail-head Bronze Frame is 2.5" wide, the Walnut Frame is 1.75" wide, and the Antique Crackle Bronze Frame is 2" wide. The picture is 40" X 30" but becomes around 48" X 38" when framed with two mats and of course varies in size depending on which frame is chosen. I have not had a picture on the wall for 13.5 years above my sofa and there are no pictures in the room since I could not make up my mind if one day a flat screen TV would go on the wall and I would place the sofa facing the wall but changed my mind due to the sofa then being in the way of the walk-way to the kitchen since it is an open small room.

Thank you annz for giving me this site. I will go Pro if I love it since I miss posting pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 Frames to help me decide on for the same Japanese Garden Art Print

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Number three is the one I feel balances the picture and picks up the colors. Beautiful print.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I like the third choice.

• Melenie5
    12 years ago

They are all pretty, but I agree with yayagal and kristinekr, number three is the best.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Another vote for #3, with #1 as a close second. Very pretty print.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just reread my first post and I put them out of order from my description due to describing them and then clicking them to download them putting them in the following reverse order:

Crackle Antique Bronze 2" is #1, Walnut frame 1.75" wide is #2, and the 2.5" wide nail-head Bronze Frame is number three.

Then I saw the crinkle one was only 2" wide. Then the Norfolk Walnut two women at Art.com chose and keep telling me the two bronze frames do not go with the print. I felt they went beautifully.

Please more opinions and please be honest. I can handle constructive criticism. Again thank you both for replying.

Hence, the Bronze 2.5" nail-head frame is the the #3 frame both Yayagal and kirinteker like? That is the one I chose fist but then I got scared when I found out it was 2.5" wide.

Yayagal, so you feel the frame size is not too wide and balances the print? Do you like the skinny inner Autumn Brown Mat which is more on the color of an orange brown and seemed to look nice with the frame? I was trying to come up what would look nice inside to break up the white. I chose the white outer mat since the lamp shades on both sides of my beige-medium taupe sofa are white and the baseboard trim in the room is white and the spindles going up the steps are white with the bottom and top walnut. The floors are Brazilian Cherry so I thought the print would go with the floors and since everything else in the room has no color, I felt the print would add the color I badly needed.

I love the look of all three pictures but I did choose #3 first but got scared when I found out it was 2.5" wide.

There is another frame I really loved that was an ornate dark espresso but I found out the inner lip was gold. I felt bronze went with my room but yellow gold did not so I did not post it but I can if anyone wants to see it.

• amykath
    12 years ago

Number 3 for me too. Lovely print btw!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just want to confirm those that chose #3- this is the nail head bronze frame right? In my first post I had them listed backwards since I was trying to post from another site. I just numbered them as they are in order on the new Photobucket site that I thank Annz for telling me about since it is so easy to use:

#1: Crackle Antique Bronze Frame 2" Wide

#2: Norfolk Walnut Frame 1.75" wide

#3: Bronze Nail-Head Frame 2.5" wide

...that I felt in love with but the framers kept telling me it did not go with the print and was too wide. I loved the coloring of the frame so then I found the 2" pretty frame but then they told me the Walnut went the best so I added that frame also.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

I also like Number 3, the nail head one.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

P.S. Lights went out last night and so did everything that needed electricity and it was close to 90 degrees with no air conditioner on. Hence, please excuse my sentence structure if sometimes I am not making sense or repeating myself since I am so tired but I would like to make a decision real soon. I feel so blessed to have so many nice people willing to give me their opinion. I just wish I had in my first post, the description of the pictures in the order that new new picture site I just joined, Photobucket put them in. I must have clicked them in reverse. #3 is the Bronze Nail Head Picture frame that is 2.5" wide.

I really appreciate all those who answered since I need to make up my mind soon so I can finally walk in my family room and enjoy being in there as well as only having so much time to get the great deal on the framing.

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

#3 is my favorite, next choice is #2.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Lyban for letting me know that you also like #3 the best and that is the nail head bronze frame. :)

Thank you aktillery, valinsv (also thanks for letting me know that #2 came in a close second since this is how I feel also since I love both Bronze frames), Meenie5, yayagal, andkirstinekr for all giving me your opinions on liking # 3 the Bronze Nail-Head Frame the best.

I will not make my final decision for a few days to wait for other opinions. That is the frame I chose first. I still love the Ornate Espresso frame that I did not post but I was told it had an inner gold lip and it was very dark and 1.825" wide. I am feeling Bronze would look nice in that room with my floors and neutral coloring. My two lamps on the end tables are glass with chrome bottoms and the skinny piece on top of the white lamp shade chrome. That is the only chrome in the room.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you baileyandbella for letting me know that #3 is your favorite and #2 is your next choice. I guess all three frames are nice or I would have not narrowed them down to these three. I think this is a good idea to give me a first and 2nd choice. Thank you! :)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Yes I like the skinny brown mat too. The ladies who told you it was too wide were wrong, actually that size could take even a wider frame but the third one is lovely. I'm an artist and I've framed and have had framed dozens of paintings. You want the frame to quietly surround the work but not call all the attention to it, the same with the mat. I think your instincts were exactly right. Now hang that above your sofa and love it!!!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yayagal, I really appreciate your post letting me know you are a painter and have framed dozens of paintings. Thank you for letting me know my choices were very good which were by instinct. I fell in love with the white frame on the outside and the skinny autumn brown on the inside. I was told I needed another mat inside and more color in my mats but I just liked the way the picture looked when I chose a skinny brown autumn mat that went with the frame but also picked up a color in the picture. Thank you for letting me know it is balanced with that frame and you liked my mat choices also. I was amazed that so many others liked my first choice.

When I saw that Japanese Garden print, I loved it right away and when it arrived it looked in person just like what I saw on my monitor and looked great in my family room.

But when I called up to frame it (I was told they would pay the postage back if I framed with them), I got confused so looked around for a few more frames I could like with one of the frames chosen by the sales girls that started to grow on me.

This time, I stopped at a local frame shop ( recommended to me that day I was planning to final order the frame... thought if his prices were not so much more, I would go with him) before making my final decision and I kept telling him I wanted to see a Bronze frame but he kept telling me it did not go. Then he brought down the frame I told him I wanted to see with the print which was a 2" nail head Bronze frame that looked similar to the 2.5" wide Bronze head frame online. The local framer was surprised that he loved it with the picture. He has a matching bronze skinny mat so I kept thinking maybe I should go with him and see if he would lower his price a little bit but the price difference is great if I want the museum quality glass or acrylic.

I hope the autumn brown mat is nice (despite not being a perfect match like the bronze mat the local framer has) and maybe the 2.5" online frame is nice also since it is the frame I first loved before being told it was too wide and the style did not go with the print by the two sales girls.

I am still open for opinions but I feel so happy that this site (since I joined in 2006), has helped me develop artistic instincts. I know I will love my framed print so much. I will order in a few days and wait for a few more responses but I feel so happy right now that I know I will sleep well. I thank everyone that also told me they liked my choice of print also. I have always wanted to love the pictures for my home but was fearful of making a wrong decision so finally I decided when I saw the 30% off sale to take a chance and the price is half the price of Michael's with the museum quality acrylic since that room has a lot of glare in it.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I like 3

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Yes, #3, the nail head frame.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I like #3 as well, but the white mat is throwing everything off, I think and detracts from the print. Could you try another shade for the wide mat?

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ttodd, graywings and cyn427 on your opinions which I appreciate and I am glad you both also like #3 which was my first choice. cyn427, I can try another shade for the white mat since Art.com lets me play around with the picture but the Off-white linen mat that I chose for the framed picture for my home office looks yellow there at night when the lamp shades are very white unless this would not matter. I am new at choosing frames and mats.

Sorry so long: OK, this is my dilemma, After playing with the design tool online at Art.com and placing the three sets of prints in my cart and saving them to my desktop, I stopped at a local framing store on the recommendation of my hand therapist to see what he had to offer since she said he had very good prices. He was very nice and patient with me but I had to convince him to pull down the bronze frame since he kept saying it did not go until he tried it and said it looked great and agreed with me that it was a good choice. Unlike the three Michael's stores, he also liked my white matting and he found a matching inner bronze foil mat that really looks great with the frame. His bronze frame has the same inner beaded lip but the frame curves inward and not outward and is 1/2" less wide with a slightly different style of frame with the frame curving inward and not rounded on top like the #3 frame I have posted. But what I like so much is that he has the inner bronze foil frame that is an EXACT match so I don't have to guess if in person the autumn brown will be too orange (that I like on the screen but I can't see it is in person).

BUT the problem is that the local framer's price is $350 more than Art.com if I choose the museum quality acrylic for both. Since Art.com will not ship anything with glass on it over a certain size, his price is only $150 more for the museum quality glass but Art.com will have the lighter weight more expense Museum quality acrylic so even if he goes down by $150, I will be getting the heavier glass and not the lighter acrylic which I am not sure if it makes a big difference if both have that great clarity with the UV protection and just about no glare coating.
    Due to the wall of windows and the two side lamps with no overhead lighting, there is a lot of glare in the room and pictures with regular glass or acrylic are very glaring and you can see yourself in them.

The autumn brown inner skinny mat I chose in the picture that I posted appears to compliment the frame nicely but I am unable to see it in person and samples are not available to be sent to me. I tried the other few browns they have for the inner mat but they don't seem to work as well with the frame on the Art.com site. I waited so long to finally place a picture in the family room so I want to enjoy it.

I could go back to the local shop to see if he would lower his price but I know he has a lot of overhead since this is Northern NJ where I live. I really love the frame I posted from Art.com and the way I see it with the matting choices but I can't see it in person until it arrives shipped but I would have 30 days to return it for a full refund (net of shipping) or make any changes. The framed picture I just recently bought from Art.com for my home office looks so nice and they did what I wanted when the three Michael stores had other ideas I did not like as much.

Do you think not having the perfect matching bronze foil inner mat to go with the bronze frame will still look nice if I chose the autumn brown mat that compliments the picture but is not a perfect match? Remember the local store's frame is very similar but is 2" while Art.com's frame is 2.5". I wish Art.com would have a bronze foil inner mat.

Thank you for listening if you have time to read this long email.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

picture #3

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo, thank you! I really do love picture # 3 also with the inner beaded lip that I considered to be nail heads. I love the foil bronze look.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am now sure of the Bronze frame with the Nail Heads but wondering if I should stay with the Autumn Brown Inner Mat (looks good on my monitor but Art.com will not mail me a sample of the mat) and have Art.com frame it(did a nice job on my last framed print that I just got back a few days ago) or see if the local framing store can come down in price since I love his bronze inner mat that is foil. But his bronze frame has a little bit different design with a similar smaller beaded nail head inner trim and is 2" wide which may be nice also. Is a 2.5" frame (the one I posted) better for the 40 X 30" print or the 2" wide frame? His frame is pretty also and curves inward while the Art.com beaded (I call them nail heads) bronze frame is curved at the top. I only can visualize his frame since I saw it only for about 15 minutes while I keep looking at the Art.com frame but wishing they had a bronze foil mat but I do like their price and frame.

I also like the white mat (not their super white mat) I chose before seeing him. He chose a chalk white mat (looked nice since white but not stark white) with the bronze inner mat which I loved. But then again his price is more and the frame is a little different.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am just about ready to order from Art.com despite loving the 2" local framers smaller beaded frame with the bronze matting. I just want Museum Quality glass so there will not be all that glare from the wall of windows and the two side lamps. I waited 13.5 years for a picture and want to enjoy it.

I had to take a day off from my decision since I picked up my new car yesterday and traded in my 8.25 year old car and surprisingly I must have been so attached since I could not sleep last night and wish I took a little longer to make the decision being that I am not quite 5 feet so headrests and foot pedals, etc. never fit me right.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: I really love the print and the autumn brown inner mat with that beautiful 2.5" beaded (nail-head) bronze frame from Art.com so I will order it tomorrow most likely with the white mat due to so much white trim and white lamp shades in my home office but I am still thinking if I want the Linen textured off-white mat that I love in my home office that has hardly any white showing anywhere there so that was the right choice for that room.

Thank you everyone! Any opinions if I should stay with the white mat for the family room? I was told it is not a stark white and most likely will pick up some of the yellow from the sheer horizontal blinds at night that the Off-white picks up when I bring the home office picture into the other room. I am so excited that my downstairs will finally feel like a home with my taste.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I agree, # 3.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you happyladi! I decided that my first choice #3 is also everyone's favorite one so that is the one I will use despite the salespeople telling me it does not go with the frame.

Now I am trying to decide if I should stay with the White Outer Mat or go with a Linen Off-White Outer Mat. I set up another post for this decision.