Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oaktonmom

Split foyer advice

oaktonmom
9 years ago

My daughter just moved into a split foyer home. The front stairs lead up to the living room where there is a half wall overlooking the entryway. Since daughter has a toddler, she's afraid of her son somehow climbing over the half wall and falling into the stairwell. Any ideas how to secure the area in a decorative way?

Comments (9)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Paint and install a piece of lattice, which is very easy to do.

• oaktonmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea, thanks!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

My dare devil toddler would have loved lattice - so much easier to climb.

There was a woman who used to post here, who had young children and a similar situation. She used clear plexiglass. Maybe someone here made note of her name or saved a photo. I do remember it looked nice.

• oaktonmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plexiglass.....sounds interesting. Hopefully someone will remember how she attached it. Thanks!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

We lived with three toddlers in this exact configuration. If there is no where for a foot to push up on--they won't, they can't. Be sure all furniture is away from the half wall--no couch backing up to it etc. I agree Latice is a horrid idea--unless you are encouraging a child to launch himself. . As long as the spindles are vertical all should be fine. There are codes for just these situations. BTW: Husband built a hinged gate for the top of the stairs that matched the spindles of the stairs, much easier to deal with when adults are using the stairs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ahem, when I suggested lattice, I meant from the sill to the ceiling. Sheesh.

Those split-levels are VERY common, esp. for young families. I have never heard of a child going over that sill. They're very high, and there is no way for a child to get any kind of leverage with which to pull himself up onto the sill. By the time he has the strength to do so, he's old enough to know not to do it, and probably have no interesting in doing so. It is probably not a rational fear. However, if it helps the sister sleep better, then it's worth doing something.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, my son at the tender age of 16 months climbed over a 6 foot high fence in one part of the yard while the fence was still being installed on the sides. Supposedly, it was "escape" proof. He used one of these little red Flintstone cars as a stepping stool.

A kid who wants to "look over" the wall may move items to the bottom of the half wall.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I appreciate her concern - we raised twin boys in a split foyer. We did a ton of baby-proofing (we called it "naked house syndrome"), since we feared one climbing into the oven while the other climbed into the toilet. But we didn't do anything to the walls around the stairwell. As others pointed out, don't keep furniture backed up to the wall. Of course, one needs to supervise to ensure a chair doesn't get dragged over.

My bigger concern was the top of the stairs. With two big boys, a tension gate was not going to be sufficient. I had my uncle build an oak gate, and I built a frame so it could roll out of the way. The gate itself is wider than the opening. Somewhere I have pictures of both boys standing on the lower molding, peeking their little noses over the top.

Best wishes to your daughter in her new home!

• selcier
    9 years ago

I feel the need to mention that I grew up in a home with a split entry like this. Ours had a wrought iron railing instead. I climbed all over that thing. My Husband grew up in the same house layout. There has never been any mention from either set of parents about falling or getting hurt.

I did, however, push a playmate down the steps when I was three. Gates are more important in my mind. But kids will find a way to get where they want.