Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Date a Modernist

palimpsest
9 years ago

I came across this house in the listings. It's clearly got up-to-date kitchen and bathrooms, and lighting, but what do you think about the age of the house in general?

There are a couple of pictures in the listing that pretty much give it away, I will post those later.

Great closet:

Up-to-date bath

Up-to-date kitchen

Comments (44)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I would buy that in a minute. 1970's?

• natebear zone 10B
    9 years ago

60s? The bedroom reminds me of Mad Men.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Was this house designed by an commercial architect? HVAC ceiling registers are commercial-type.

I guess anywhere from 57 to 72, with 67 my best guess.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would guess 1948 to 1956, but possibly earlier. If it was built later than that, then I am impressed. I am assuming that the interior was updated, as it does not match the apparent age of the exterior.

This post was edited by publickman on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 22:00

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Just based on the ceiling diffusers, I would guess late 1950's/early 1960's.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I say 1940s.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I'll play: 1962

• rockybird
    9 years ago

1940's?

BTW, I would love to date a modernist! I just need to find one that's single!

• sochi
    9 years ago

It looks so up to date. 1960? A few people mentioned ceiling diffusers, perhaps they do date it, but honestly to my very untrained eye it could be 1992. Perhaps the owner dated a nostalgic modernist.

• teeda
    9 years ago

My guess is 1948, give or take 3 years.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

50's or 60's would be my guess...

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I'm in love! Reminiscent of FLW, but clearly not. (He eschewed large, luxurious bedrooms.) Appears to be in the East. I would buy just about anything with windows like that.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I'm gonna go with 1963.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Wow......is that a bathroom or a bowling alley?

• User
    9 years ago

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is a feel about this place that makes me think it may have been built a lot later than one first thinks. Perhaps even this century?

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

I'm guessing 1938.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Date it? I'd marry it. 1968.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I was going to say early 60s, but there's something about that stonework that makes me think later than that....

• mclarke
    9 years ago
    1. It's gorgeous. Not sure I'm important enough to live there.

What's the prize for guessing correctly? A lock of Frank Lloyd Wright's hair?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Closet cabinets make me guess 1976.

Also,

This post was edited by schicksal on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 7:35

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Whoah! That's awesome!

pre-1955 (just because) and it's been updated, but not seriously messed with.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Fantastic house. Pal, how do you find these houses!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

1989-2005.
    Casey

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I am going to guess 40s. Have two specific reasons for that, but will wait to see if I am right.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a 1955 untouched (except lighting). A lot smaller, and similar somehow, but not quite, even taking updates into account:

The firm who designed the house at the top of the thread has done a number of museums and other commercial buildings.

Do the pictures of the latest house and the museum/commercial info make you want to change your mind or reinforce your initial impression? I will let this go on a bit longer post a couple more pictures that may give it away and then give the answer.

I think it would be great if people came back and said Why they picked a certain date, because people seem to have specific things in mind.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:06

• three3apples
    9 years ago

Without knowing if the ceilings were altered, sizes of the rooms changed, or purpose of the rooms redesignated, I would guess late 50's, but am torn because it really could be anytime after, excepting(in my opinion), the present century.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hmm, I'm at outlier. I would tell this house I am seeing someone else, and scurry out of there. I am just not that into him.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another 1955:

• allen456
    9 years ago

I cheated and went to look at the real estate listing by using Google reverse image search.

You are all wrong, keep guessing.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

1980s, based on what I think is a butler's pantry.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

DonâÂÂt knowâ¦could be pretty new with a lot of salvaged materials.

• voila
    9 years ago

It looks to have newer casement windows with no aprons on the sills, set into thick walls. Of course the walls could be concrete block, but I'm thinking 2x6 construction. Interior doors appear to be 8 feet tall with lever handles. Too many small recessed lights for a remodel, I think, especially without much of an attic space. Are those speakers built into the ceilings? See above for not much attic space to make installing all those speakers a retrofit. The outlets in the entire house are bright white. 2012,2013?? Is it brand new? Wish I could see the roof, and garage. Does it have a 4 stall garage?

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

I'm guessing it's pretty new....like within the past few years. I don't see anything in the house that suggests real age, but rather new things in an older style. There's NO wear on anything. The electrical outlets are spaced for current code and there are floor outlets in what looks like a slab foundation.

In the pics of the last two houses I can see age. The window trim & hardware, heat registers & returns, etc. They also look like updates were done over time. I see none of that in the first house. In fact, if it weren't for the shrubs in front of the windows looking like they had some age to them, I'd say that house is brand new! My guess is that it's less than 10 years old.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It's hard because the interior is either new or recently redone, based on clues from code, finishes, and current layout preferences.

But what throws me is the pinky tan damask wallpaper in the one BR. I cannot imagine someone selecting that in the last 40 years

• awm03
    9 years ago

I'm guessing it's a recent build (within the last 12 years) from 1961 blueprints.

• voila
    9 years ago

The pinky beige, Lol, damask paper is large sized, though, making me wonder if newer. Hope Pal explains the dark space around baseboard and door trim most visible in the damask room.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, if 40s isn't right, I will go all the way back to the 1920s when architects were designing spectacularly modern buildings. Pal, my first guess was based on the following: the closet door pulls are like those in my parents' 1940s home (torn down several years ago and replaced with the ubiquitous stone and stucco facade home so prevalent in that area now. Also, I was considering the damask wall paper mtn mentioned.

For those who are still guessing recent dates, do you mean for the renovations?

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:16

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

OK, if it's not 60s, then I'm going with new...it looks like the can lights in the foyer have the harvest finish inside which was new to the last few years. But it's hard to tell as much can be accomplished with substantial renovation if the house was old.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The dark space is a form of "Museum Reveal, or recess around all the millwork.

The most expensive way to do this is No visible millwork around the doors and a reveal right at the floor level so the walls "float" an inch above the floors, but it is difficult and expensive to get this finished, narrow, even, recess right at the floor level, so another way of doing it is to recess the baseboard with a reveal above it. Still expensive and tricky, but not as much.

Also more durable. A vacuum cleaner hitting a baseboard is better than it hitting plaster, or worse wallpaper.

• voila
    9 years ago

One never knows with Pal, does one? Cyn, it could be a gutted 1920's house. Do you think they raised the center portion of the roof, added clerestory windows on that part to have 8 foot (it seems) doors and higher ceilings inside? Can't find anything worn looking, except for possibly some higher trim on the left exterior. The tree sure is old! The property could be fabulous, and make the total rehab possible. The rooms seem large. That was a very big remodel! One never knows....

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago
    1. I had that wallpaper, but also one wall in red.
  • voila
    9 years ago

Museum Reveal, thanks Pal. I thought it looked the opposite of your earlier explanation of floating walls. It would make painting easier, but in a distant picture it looks like someone never dusted the tops of the baseboards. Blech. Much better in person, I am sure.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

I'll play! 1961. I could move right in!

• sochi
    9 years ago

Still think it is relatively recent (i.e. '90s). Going to check how wrong I am now.