Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

How to lighten denim?

debrak2008
9 years ago

Hope this is not too OT.

Need a jean jacket for a wedding. Want one that is light/faded/bleached look to contrast with with a black dress. Having a lot of trouble finding one. So wondering if I find one this is too dark should I attempted to lighten it? Anyone done this? I see stuff on line where people soak a denim jacket in a bucket with bleach and water.

Here is the jacket I wanted but I ordered a medium and it is a little too tight. Of course large is not to be found.

Here is a link that might be useful: levis trucker jacket

Comments (10)

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one that is available in large and is a good price but it would need to be lighter. I would plan to wash it repeatly for the next month to give it a more soft worn look but I think it would still be too dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: wrangler jacket

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Just google 'how to bleach a denim jacket lighter'. There are YouTube videos and other links telling you how to do it. Good luck.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Here's a site with lots of faded denim jackets, scroll down the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: jacket site

• busybee3
    9 years ago

when i was young, it seemed like the best faded jeans were the ones that were hung outside in the sun to dry!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Debrak....I love the jacket you linked to. It would be worth buying two and try bleaching one, hang on to the other for wearing with so many options.

Denim does bleach easily, go easy though. Denim will come in different weights, the lightest may not need much. Also, threading may not bleach, depends upon what it is made of.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a white jackets at Amazon. Dozens in price style and size. And I meant to say the second jacket was great. Walmart has the same one for $14. Perhaps check some stores near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: White denim jackets

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Salt water and sun.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just went through every store in one of our local malls. The Levi's trucker jacket that I put in my first post is at JCP. Originally I ordered it from Zappos for $40 but the medium was too small. At JCP tried them on and XLG is the size I need but the jacket is $68! It has the perfect bleached effect.

What is with sizes? All the jackets are so tight in the forearms. I do not have big arms but these must be made for women with toothpick arms.

If I can find a JCP coupon I'm just going to buy it. So tired of shopping and thinking

• honibaker
    9 years ago

Hi Debra,
    You can get 20% off ordering on-line and using a JCP credit card (on sale for $54.99, or $43.99 after coupon code BUYTODAY), or 15% off with other forms of payment. The coupon code is BUYTODAY.
    Click on their home page at the top for more info.
    I think it's cute!

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

honeybaker, I bought it! The website wasn't allowing the coupon so I called. They said they were having website issues. Yes! Finally this is done.

Now I just need to make sure I fit nicely into one of my two little black dresses. Put a sticky note on the chocolate in the house reminding me.