Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Style of front door?

Posted by bichonlover3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 20:58

The door that is on there now is plain, wood door with no trim at all. The house is in Enid OK. House belongs to our son and his new wife. I don't know how to post multiple pics so will do is multiple posts :( Also, what color would you paint the house and would you paint or stain door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Style of front door?

another pic

o

Front of house

o

I love black around windows and doors. It gives a house some sophistication, IMO It also makes landscaping look good, night lighting look good, etc.

I'd paint it either a soft white or a mocha/milk chocolate brown. contemporary, crisp, elegant.

o

I think I would use the brick as a cue. Pick the lightest color of the brick to do the main wood and the darkest color to do the trim.

I hate to be judgmental; but I think the shrubbery needs a shearing, making it difficult to think about paint.

If this were a different style home, it might not look so wooly but for this modernish/contemporary style, I think the need for a haircut is obvious. JMHO. Once the shrubbery has been trimmed, it will be easier to make a call about the paint.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 9:30

o

I agree about using the brick colors as the cues for the siding and trim.

The door arrangement they have is a sort of mid-century style that deemphasized the entrance door, and it had the effect of not indicating where people should go.

What is their intent with the front door? I think it may make sense to highlight the entire entry area by doing something with the lower windows on each side of the door as well.

Some of the local houses that have this sort of entry have combined a bright color for the front door with an interior shutter or decorative panel in mid century style over the side windows.

Or you could to a bright color on the front door and a potted topiary in front of each side window.

I would not veer from the style of the house though. It should still be a simple door. Some of the local houses have replaced their doors with something that is clearly "Victorian" or "Colonial" and it's not very successful.

o

Thanks, folks. Good ideas. Yes, current "landscaping" is all coming out and being replaced with new so that the house can actually be SEEN!!! :)

o

I agree aboud the door. I got a "mid century modern feel from this house. Although an architect posted that it was a 70's tract house, I still get MCM vibes.

o

This is an idea of the landscaping to be done.

o

Here's a quick and dirty rendition with darker trim, a bright door and panels for the windows.

o

I see the rendering has green as one of the "chosen" colors. I don't see this house in a darkish green trim. Maybe gray, darkish gray with a lighter gray everything else including roof.

You know if there is any chocolate in the brick.... well...it is a thought for trim and light, soft almost invisible taupe for the wood, greige roof.

o

Well, darn, while I was piddling, Pal was painting and I like it, the grey, the dark grey (or black), like Pal's door business. Now if we can get the landscaping under control, by golly, I think that is it.

o

Wow, what an impact with the red door!! What are panels on side windows I like them? If the door is solid wood, would the panels darken the hall or would upper windows be enough? Pay no attention to the colors in the photos or drawings. I am here on this forum for help with colors.:)

This post was edited by bichonlover3 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:24

o

Landscaping is being nailed down on the landscaping forum thanks to some very helpful folks. You ladies are amazing! I like the look very much. Satisfies my MCM feeling! lol

o

The door looks very much like a storm door, chosen for the width of the wood (or aluminum, looks like) around the glass. IMO, the door looks too much like the flanking windows, but I would not replace it with a solid door and lose the light. Instead I would replace the door with a regular single pane
French door with a different proportion of glazing to wood or metal than the windows and differentiate it that way. It will look more substantial as well.

Agree with the suggestions to pull colors from the brick for siding and trim, after pruning back landscaping to show the house itself. I would be inclined to use a darker tan from the brick for the siding and a lighter hue of the same color or a creamy white for the trim. The stark contrast of darker trim against lighter siding is jarring, especially with the wide color variation in the brick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here