Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megsy_gw

What would you do with these windows?

megsy
14 years ago

[Or, how many decorating questions can one person ask in a day before you kick them off the forum? ;)]

We just moved into a new house in a Houston suburb. This isn't our forever house though we'll probably be here for the next 5-10 years if I had to guess.

In the livingroom and into the breakfast area of the kitchen, there are seven windows that are the same width. One of the windows is hidden behind one of the columns. The whole area is the same color (BM Shelburne Buff at 75% pigment). I took down the blinds that were there (I have a thing against blinds and I have no idea why) and hung bamboo shades. I need to figure out how to line them because I hate the patch that you can see through.

Anyway -- what I was thinking for the bottom half of the windows was just plain natural perma-press curtains hung as cafe curtains from about halfway up the window in the breakfast area -- and at the same heighth in the livingroom for cohesion (see link for curtains but they're just plain janes from Country Curtains). I am worried about the lack of color. But I'm also having a hard time envisioning anything else.

Could I add panels on either sides of the three windows in the livingroom? Ditch this idea altogether? WWGWD?

Other thoughts ... the sofa looks a lot brighter in that picture than it is IRL tho it is definitely turquoise. It's an odd piece for me but I "inherited" it from my late grandmother. It was her formal sitting couch and is from the 60s. My kids have sat on that couch more in the 6 weeks we've had it than my dad did his entire life. I love the length. Also, please excuse the mess and some of the randomly placed furniture (table in front of the window; chairs amiss). We have four kids and are not near done with getting settled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cafe Curtains

Comments (61)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

A deep cajun spice color is beautiful. Really sets off the sofa and might be more in your comfort level.

I agree a print would be nice, too. I had tried one from CC that didn't work, but a print was nice. This looks sleek and sophisticated though, as a solid.

Bluer sofa:

{{!gwi}}

Greener sofa:

{{!gwi}}

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrel, it took me a second to realize why my kids looked that way! LOLOL

I can't decide if I'm feeling a solid panel in that color because of the green cabinets in the kitchen. Do you feel like they'll clash?

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Love your kitchen - and your sofa! I wonder how the cafe curtains would look with your shades. I think I would go with valances, maybe with a jabot or something on the ends. At first I thought teal, too, to tie in with your sofa, but you also need to tie in the green/red of your kitchen and not have a pattern that fights the table cloth you love so much. A plain would work, or - perhaps a white/ivory curtain with some fringe that has teal and green in it? That would tie both rooms together. Sorry I can't photoshop - I have such envy for those that do!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Ugh, I did Read & see the kitchen but forgot about that! Let me pull that in.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops, cross-posted.

Oh, the couch is more blue than green. Sorry about that. Didn't even answer the question.

I do like the cajun red more and feel like it would tie in more with the kitchen too. Thank you for these ideas. You really are so kind to keep PS open all day for all your fellow GWers ;)

justgot, yeah, that's why I've been struggling with the sofa to begin with. The color doesn't "go" with what I have but I'm determined to find a solution.

I really love this forum.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Which sofa color is closer? How does it compare to real life?

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Squirrel, the one she posted at 22:23 is the closest

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You really are so kind to keep PS open all day for all your fellow GWers ;)

ha shhhh...

The cajun works nicely, though the greener sofa version is better, of course, lol. I added some olive to the lr, as a pillow.

Here's the cajun and a blank if someone else wants to give it a go:

{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I like the cajon, as you call it, Squirrel. Is that an actual curtain color you found or a paint color name? I like it. It matches the brick in the kitchen well.

By the way Megsy, I love you home too. It's beautifully laid out. The arches from kitchen to family and breakfast rooms are so very nice. I much prefer that over a completely open space.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Nope! : ) It's a Squirrely mix, fabric dye. Muuuch easier than shopping.

I'm gonna have to shut down, omg. Having thunderstorms.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOLOL much easier than shopping indeed! ;)

Thanks again and stay safe.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration (and the blank).

See, here's what I was originally thinking, but I wouldn't have the tiers open. But it's too blah.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a better sized version:

• woodswell
    14 years ago

With turquoise and sage green, I think of retro style. If you wanted to go with that, which would match the style of the sofa, there are some interesting possibilities. The ones at the link below are a little light, but something along that idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: Onxy Waves Rod Pocket Curtain

• barb5
    14 years ago

That is what I thought you meant by the cafe curtains.

It is a more casual look and perhaps that is what you want. I do think that it chops the windows and room in half, and that the light fabric under the bamboo shades does not look balanced.They also block what looks like a very pretty view.

I think those cajun spice panels, or a color in that neighborhood, looks handsome in that room, going with both your couch and your kitchen cabs.

Love that couch!!!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I happen to like the look of the cafe curtains. I don't think they are used enough anymore. Casual is good in my book. Especially when you have kids. More time to spend as a family since cafes are usually machine washable.
    Though I do like the cajun panels I'm really liking the cafe curtains either in Megsy's original idea of ivory or in the onxywaves pattern that woodswell found. I did a virtual of the later...
    {{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

In re-reading my last post it sounds a bit snotty (I HAPPEN to like....) I didn't mean it that way Barb! So sorry it sounded that way.

• barb5
    14 years ago

Not to worry, no offense taken.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all the ideas. I am a casual-type of gal so I think that's why I'm drawn to the cafe curtains.

I have a cousin who suggested I hang nice sheers from the top and add a fabric to the bottom of them and then use that same fabric to make a valance for the kitchen windows. I'm having a hard time envisioning what she's talking about so I emailed back for clarification.

I think one of the things that is bothering me is the view of the hardware on the top of the shades. And of course, I don't have their packaging anymore so they can't go back to the store.

The other tough thing is that my style is much more classic and traditional which sort of goes against the retro/mod of this particular sofa. But I'm convinced there's a wonderful way to incorporate this sofa, with its geometrical pattern (you probably can't see it in the pic), into my style and have it flow. Sort of like when you mix florals and plaids. The wrong combination and it's awful, but you find the right one and it's perfection.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Megsy, I thought the sofa was a solid. Do you have any close ups of the upholstery? That would really help.
    I love your cousins idea. I know just what she means, but with the program I have I can't add sheers. It would look awesome though! Go much more with your style than cafe curtains.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just, for all intents and purposes, it's a solid but if you look closely you can see the embroidery.

And just for a look, the JCP curtains you linked to. Those are more my style than the onyx (tho they are nice) that woodswell linked to.

• sallymo2015
    14 years ago

megsy, I was wondering about those brackets on your woven woods, too. They aren't upside down, are they?

I also like the blinds by themselves, nothing added in the more casual area you have. I think you need more upholstered furniture in the family room, and you won't feel the need for the panels. If there were a couple of upholstered chairs in front of the windows, maybe that would take care of the need to add more fabric.
    Also, when you get a new light fixture, maybe use one that would allow fabric shades to add something over there. I think that style would look good with the hutch. There are little shades available with more casual fabrics--not the silk kind.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Megsy, that fabric is beautiful! It looks like silk.
    I'm lovin' the JCP panels. But then I love checks. Always have. They're classic.
    As for the clips on the bamboo shades, can you paint them to match the wall? I didn't even notice them until this last virtual you posted.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I'm having difficulty with the way these different styles are mixing. The house reads as what I think of as transitional (my def of that is a contemporary take on traditional, which may be wrong). The kitchen is country though, which I find confusing. Is this the original kitchen? Maybe the cabinet color was changed.

Sorry but, imo, the cafe curtains really aren't working (overall), except with the style of the kitchen. I do like the more traditional panels with your furnishings and the shades, though. I also like the way they soften the windows/room and add color. The cajun color, as an example, ties nicely both with the coloring of your kitchen and other furnishings and is beautiful with the color of the new MCM sofa. Maybe a different brown if you're not feeling that one? Do you want something light rather than dark? Panels Could be done in a somewhat casual fabric, like a textured linen-look. I really like the teal and neutrals/browns together and love that sofa!

The rug is important. Its very traditional, if you are planning on keeping it in the mix.

My $.02 : )

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's a fabric that bridges the teal and green, as well as the styles, imo. Doesn't work with the rug though. Maybe a casual striped rug?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And another blank with an adjusted sofa color and the curtain rod removed ¡size>

{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

That's pretty Squirrel. Looks as though it has a tiny bit of the brick color too.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Thank you, yes it does look like some brick in there, though I'm not sure.

Here's a natural/cream linen, similar to your cafe's color; one a little darker, and a sheer. Showing just in the living room, as well.

(Sorry about the birth marks. Hopefully they'll fade : )

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I'm having difficulty with the way these different styles are mixing. The house reads as what I think of as transitional (my def of that is a contemporary take on traditional, which may be wrong). The kitchen is country though, which I find confusing. Is this the original kitchen? Maybe the cabinet color was changed. "

See, this is exactly what I'm struggling with. It's a very transitional build but my true style is French Acadian. (I'm a Cajun gal).

We just moved to Houston for DH's new job and settled in a suburb. The houses are about as cookie-cutter as you can get. And what I'm desperately trying to do is infuse character into the home through paint, decor, etc.

You are right. The kitchen cabinets were just painted. They are oak/standard builder cabinets. The formica countertops were also replaced with butcher block. And since this isn't our forever house, we opted to do the makeover route vs. the remodel route. The tile backsplash in the kitchen will be replaced with the brick.

It's this wonderful sofa that's throwing a wrench at me. It's just not my style. But I can't help but love it. And it's absolutely staying because of sentimental value, you know?

Anyway. That being said:

I like the look of the sheers. And I think what I might do is sew fabric on the top and the bottom of the sheers. And I LOVE that fabric you found ... but you're right about it not fitting with the rug. The other thing I'm thinking is that I might leave the kitchen windows the way they are.

There's an answer out there. I'm certain of it.

mom2five, I love those fabrics and you're right; they're right up my alley! Thanks for the links.

sallymo, they're not upside down. But we used these simple hooks to install them because we didn't want anchors showing. They're intended to hang inside the window but I wanted to add some height which is why we hung them on top.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Megsy, is there another living area this wonderful sofa can go in? Could you have it slipcovered in a fabric that matches better and is washable? I think the shape would work if the color were right.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I like the casual and light color softening the space. What you have already laid out looks good. I don't think the cafe curtains work, though, and don't look right with the woven shades.

I love the sofa but slipcovering so it blends in more and isn't so MCM might make your life easier.

• natal
    14 years ago

I like the last sets with neutral panels. The sofa's cool, but that color just isn't working. Agree that slipcovers might be your best option.

Btw, are you in Sugarland?

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Here's a pic I used for inspiration in my last house. Might work for you.

I love that sofa and the kitchen cabinet color. But, they are going in two different directions. I am not sure it's a deal-breaker though. That yellow fabric SH found could bridge the gap. Different rug is probably a good idea.

Gyad, it gets expensive hanging around here, doesn't it?! :-)

• patricianat
    14 years ago

I always encouraged my children to think as individuals and as such, they ended up, all in different colleges, different careers, lifestyles, very different wives (gulp) and different states, but I never would tell them to chop a room up with soooo many colors. I love Amy's picture. It connects (like a surname)the disparity of the space. Try harmonizing, not dividing. Life would be better for all of us with neutrality and harmony and we can only make that possible in our little corner of the world. Signing off now from my little vacation corner of the world.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Megsy, is there another living area this wonderful sofa can go in? Could you have it slipcovered in a fabric that matches better and is washable? I think the shape would work if the color were right."

Unfortunately, no. See when I first knew I was getting this piece (it was right before we moved), we were making an offer on another house and it had a formal living area so my plans were that it was to go in there. We ended up walking away because of an inspection report and wound up in this house (which I actually prefer the layout of) and the sofa had already been packed up and ready for the move. So it was coming with. At first I thought it just wouldn't work and then I became determined to make it work and now I'm confused and overwhelmed and I probably just need some time to let it sink in. Slipcovering it really is a good idea especially since it is a silk fabric; it would kid-proof it a bit. Care to slip cover shop for me? ;)

"Btw, are you in Sugarland?"

Natal, we're close! In Katy! I meant to tell you that earlier when you said my layout looked like a friend of yours in Sugarland. It's probably the same exact house. Hopefully she's got better bricks. Ours are a leeeeetle too pink for my taste.

amysrq, this is the most expensive forum on the web ;) Thanks for the pic ... see, I could totally see an ivory cotton sheer hanging from rings like that. But first I need to figure out what to do with the couch.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Looks awesome:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• natal
    14 years ago

You are close. And from what I see the house is pretty much the same layout minus the backsplash windows. Do you have French doors on either side of the foyer leading to the dining room and study? Sorry if I'm being nosy, lol.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Squirrel that first one is just the color I was thinking of. Natural, but not too light. Perfect! Now we just have to wait and see if Megsy likes it. I do like the cajon too though.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

squirrel, I really like how the first one looks. I might go a titch darker to stand off the wall color a bit more. But that direction feels more cohesive. Any idea on what the style of the sofa is called when I'm looking for slipcovers?

natal, the dining room and study are flanking the foyer but it's just archways -- no French doors (I wish!).

patricia, it tickles me that you think this is so many colors because in comparison to the houses around here, we're toned down! Most of them paint each room a different color and we didn't do that because we felt like the archways weren't enough of a divider. (We did paint the study and dining MB Georgian Brick) but the rest of the downstairs and then up the stairwell and through the gameroom are all the Shelburne Buff. But alas, color brings some harmony, no? ;)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the heavier linen-look fabric. This set, GottaBe? I just love this, with the cajun spice sofa : ) Hung more like Amy's inspiration photo.

(There ya go. The birthmarks did fade.)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Yes,Squirrel. Isn't that the cajun? It and the natural both work great at bringing the whole area together in my opinion.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Yep, cajun spice sofa. Didn't put the rings on the rod : )

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I didn't even notice until you mentioned.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooooooooooooooh, I am loving it!

You guys are the bestest.

• rosie
    14 years ago

That does look really nice. I'm chiming in because I have a similar problem and am also considering both white/off-white cafes and ceiling-height panels. I like Country Curtains Hemstitch Tiers' crisp look and was thinking of those for the kitchen and carrying them on into the sitting room, which has an enclosed-porch look. Unfortunately, on trial they look too much like I cut up bedsheets. Like yours, the room is simple drywall with ceiling fan, and smooth wood floor; and, although the white works here, what I really need is texture.

With my budget and looong expanses of windows, sheer coarse linen's with its lovely diffused light's out, and I suspect with kids it would be the same for you, but...texture. Those long panels posted by Amysrq and Squirrelhaven have it.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm dragging this back up.

Bear with me.

I'm still trying to make the sofa work (I know, I know).

So I was looking for a new tablecloth to bring in the teal of the sofa and ran across these at World Market. It's a muted teal and I might tea-stain the panels to make them not so white. But what are your thoughts?

*Don't shoot me*

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible panels?

• natal
    14 years ago

Go buy one and hang it up. See how it looks. Check the return policy first, though. I bought bamboo shades that I planned to use on the screened porch from World Market. When I decided I didn't like them I discovered there was a 30 day return policy on all window treatments.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• natal
    14 years ago

You're right about needing to tea-stain, but I sort of like 'em. Good eye! I'd go with a dark rod.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The other thing is that they're voile so they'd give me the sheer that I was kind of wanting too.

I'm going to go pick one up. I think you're right about the dark rod.

Thanks, Natal :)