Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beantownrenovator

Who makes beautiful english roll arm sofas?

beantownrenovator
15 years ago

Trying to find alternatives to the RH English Roll arm and the WS Home Bedford. I'm concerned that the RH one is too deep for me (I'm 5') and the Bedford at WS seems a bit aggressive price wise (even though I love the look). Do you have any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Bedford Sofa

Comments (16)

• demifloyd
    15 years ago

I ordered a Lillian August sofa about ten years ago and it is still comfortable and has held up quite well.

You might be interested in their Chapman sofa.

sofa

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks so much demifloyd - I will check out. Her stuff looks stunning.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's another possible candidate!

Here is a link that might be useful: mitchell and gold english arm sofa

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I can't seem to get a direct link, but some here under the American Bungalow collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanguard Furniture

• msrose
    15 years ago

How do you sit when you're on your current sofa? I'm 5'1 and I usually sit with my legs curled up on the couch, so it doesn't really matter how deep the couch is. Every once in awhile I'll have my legs stretched out and I do have to laugh, because my feet don't touch the floor.

Laurie

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Bernhardt's Martha Stewart line has an english roll arm sofa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bungalow house - that is a great suggestion. it looks beautiful. do you know anything about their sofas?

laurie - lol - i am like you and do curl up most of the time, but there are some times when I like to try (haha) and sit normally and not have my legs dangling.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I have one of the loveseats, it's about a year old. So far so good (except I'm not crazy about the color of the fabric I picked!). I found one of the line at a local furniture store so I was able to see it in person and sit on it first before ordering. I know nothing about furniture, but a decorator recommended the store to me, so I assumed it was good quality stuff. I needed something small-scale to go in my small living room -- VERY hard to find.

Hope that helps.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

We have an English roll arm sofa from Ethan Allen that is not too deep. It's the Paramount sofa, which can be configured in a number of different ways -- attached back, semi attached, or loose back pillows, english or a different style of arm, bun feet, straight feet or skirt, love seat, small sofa, long sofa, or sectional... and of course, there are any number of fabric possibilities. Ours is also a sleeper sofa that we had configured with their air mattress instead of the regular mattress. We've been very happy with the quality of this sofa. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of ours, but here's the link to the Ethan Allen website. They're showing the paramount with the other arm style, but it DOES come in an English roll arm style (that's what we have). You have to order through their stores -- they don't sell furniture online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen Paramount sofa

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I was thinking of George Smith, but when I looked at the website, the sofas price out at five figures. oops!

So, being a swinging-leg type person (5'1.5") I checked Maine Cottage -- furniture is often smaller in scale. Their English sofa is only 36" deep. Most are at least into the 40's depth wise. (I have one from EA, too -- very deep.) But with Maine Cottage, you have to like the fabrics. It's certainly a look and not for everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maine Cottage

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Amy, Ethan Allen's sofas have varying depths depending on the particular style sofa. The Paramount is only 36" deep total -- I believe it is one of their narrowest. They have pretty much any fabric you can imagine. Our entire family is pretty darned short (I'm the tallest woman in the family and I cap out at 5'4" ish) and everyone is very comfortable on the Paramount.

• beausoleil
    15 years ago

I probably sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend any furniture made by Lee Industries. I find their items to be very well made and well priced. I live in an old home and loved the fact that I could find apartment size sofas to fit my space. I opted for slipcovered pieces which have been a godsend with my two kids.

Check out the link to their sofas. They have quite a few english roll arms that are great. I have a couple of chairs from them in that style as well. Always get lots of compliments on them.

Please keep us posted on your selection!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Sofas

• amysrq
    15 years ago

You know Sarschlos, EA doesn't even make my sofa anymore. I wonder if the huge depth made it unpopular. It's nice that they are doing an a la carte type sofa these days. I didn't like the legs I was stuck with (bun feet) and would have been happy to pick and choose.

Beausoleil, every time I see upholstered furniture somewhere that I like, it always turns out to be Lee. They have the greatest fabric selection.

Beantown, have you thought about the length you want/need? When I bought mine, my husband insisted he have a sofa long enough to stretch out and nap on. That 94" sofa was a bear to deal with in an average sized house. I can count on one hand the number of times he napped there in six years! YMMV!

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful recs. We just started construction today so I'm a bit tied up, but can't wait to start researching. Thank you so much.

Amy - you and I could get into trouble together - George Smith - that is for my next house ;)! Re: length of the couch - 85-87" is about the max our room/apt can handle...if my fiance had his way he would have lazy boy recliners and well...that is not happening!

• Macswim
    2 years ago

beantownrenovator, what did you end up with?

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I have been looking at Rowe for sectionals and they have a "My Style" that offers an English roll arm.

https://www.rowefurniture.com/products/detail/My%20Style%20Sofa