Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Anyone use RL Suede Paint?

amykath
14 years ago

I have two small walls that were cut down to become even smaller walls that flank my large island. The drywall was poorly done and I want to hide that. Do you think that the suede finish might help?

Either way... I also just thought it might add some interest to these odd walls.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

My sister used it and she hated it but she did it in the kitchen, don't ask. (lol)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

How poorly done? I've used RL Suede several times over the years. I specifically put it on our foyer walls because whomever lived here before a) let the front door knob go through the drywall behind it and b) patched that hole with a 2' diameter blob of something so rock hard even an electric sander wouldn't smooth it. Had wallpaper covering it at first, then went to suede. Can't even tell it's there. It's a raised up area, like a really bad patch job.

If this is an actual wall of your island tho, I'd be concerned about scuffing (but only if there is seating at the island). The suede paint can't be touched up easily at all. I had a couple minor 'oops' spots that I did manage to fix by gently pouncing a dry brush loaded with a little paint on it. But if not careful it can come out looking like there's grease in any areas touched up. Have to do the whole wall over, so best to get it as right as possible the first time. (And it's not difficult to apply by any means, just time consuming.)

Of course if you're only talking about a small area, it would be a piece of cake to apply and/or fix suede if necessary.

Actually, you might enjoy it's effect. I've gotten compliments on mine. People who aren't familiar with it are those that seem most impressed by the look.

I have a picture of the bedroom kicking around somewhere, taken from the side so you can see the suede effect. If you'd like to see it, let me know, I'll look for it.

• amykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Moonshadow! I would love to see it!!

Amy

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Found some. Older ones from a few years ago when we were smack in the middle of remodeling. So if something in photo looks unfinished or funky, that's why ;) I haven't found any of full rooms so far. I have a habit of snapping photos as we work/remodel, so these are bits 'n pieces of our progress at the time.

This is part of the foyer.

Master bedroom one view:

And another view a bit closer. (Home Depot wouldn't get me close to what I wanted, said no custom mixes, so I mixed the color myself. Still hanging on the walls ok. ;-)

This is kind of a dumb picture I found. DH had just installed flooring in bedroom, that's what I was taking photo of. But you can see the suede paint (the blue/green), and all the other paint, white and taupe out in hallway, are just regular paint.

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

I LOVE that suede effect on your walls AND the (custom) blue color you mixed yourself. What paint brand and colors did you use to create your own blue/green?

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Thank you, lottamoxie. I had initially painted the bedroom in RL Desert Cactus. Wanted a change before DH put in new floors, loved a color called Tallgrass Prairie. (Haven't seen that swatch at Home Depot in quite some time.) It was a beautiful rich blue with just a hint of green, similar to Blue Agave at the RL Suede site. Tallgrass Prairie was just too dark and a tad too blue, and HD paint counter guy declined to customize it for me. (That's the only place I could get Suede, our independent paint store would have done it but they stopped carrying RL products.)

So I dipped into my craft paint and tinting tube supply at home and fiddled with it on a waxy paper plate till I got what I wanted. Then adjusted the ratio for the entire gallon. I ended up adding 16 oz of Delta brand Artist's White craft paint per gallon of Tallgrass Prairie. Initially I tried a drop or two of some yellow tint colorant (the stuff sold in tubes at most paint counters), but that took me too much back toward Desert Cactus. Anyway, after some playing around that's how I did it. It's still fine, nothing has cracked and fallen off the wall and it's been a good 3 or 4 years now. ;D

Doodle a lot with color and what I always make sure to do so I have a record is dip a clean paint stir stick in my mix, going about 2/3 of the way up so I have a good size paint sample on the stick. Brush off excess, let it dry, then take permanent marker and on the 1/3 of the stick with no paint on it I write the formula. Brands/colors/sheen/amounts used. Tuck it away in my paint cabinet and always have a handy reference.

So a tip to remember if you get in a jam: artist's craft paints are high in pigment, so they make for a good tint in a pinch. (I like Delta & Deco brand the best, thicker paint and richer in pigment than other brands.)

• amykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for posting those photos moon! Your bedroom color and effect is gorgeous. I also really like your foyer. That blue is just so lovely! You are very resourceful!

Amy

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Thanks Amy!
    As newdawn attests, I'd be hesitant to use suede in a kitchen as well. But, you have such a small space to cover, and it's not like it's right at sink or stove/cooking area, so I'd say go for it! It will be a piece of cake and offer an area of interest. ;)

• will_work_for_roses
    14 years ago

I did a large bathroom for my teenage sons in a dark gray flannel color many years ago. Has held up great and everybody ooh and aahs over it. BUT, it is not for someplace where you would need to clean it because anything you use to rub it will shred (like a sponge or paper towel). It's great for bathrooms because you can be more daring with color and texture in small rooms that you're not in as much.

• parma42
    14 years ago

My favorite room I've ever done was the master bedroom in our last house.

We did it in a deep terra cotta RL suede. The depth was amazing and I got so many compliments on it. Even from people who normally wouldn't have like the color.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I like the look of the suede paint but have been worried about what you do if you decide you want to paint a different texture later. Do you have to sand the walls?

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

That's the one thing I've not found an answer to that I'm very sure about caroleoh. I have read and been told by RL Customer service that you just prime over it and paint. Others who have covered over it with 'regular' latex paint said the same thing.

But that doesn't make sense, because a primer is just not going to hide that texture completely. And primers aren't fillers, either. Granted the suede texture doesn't have near the peaks and valleys of say a stucco or patterned plaster effect might. But it is rough to the touch because of the additive. I figure after getting it all one the walls, I'm probably in for a sanding/vacuuming job to get it smooth if I ever switch back. But I don't think it will be a big deal. Once over with the right grit paper ought to take care of it. Will take extra time, and there will be dust, but it's doable. I would not skim coat over it, no way! That seems like overkill. I think what's in the suede is similar to like a sand additive (it's on the thick gloppy side with little grains of something in the can). It will take some elbow grease, but that's about it. I'm not too worried. ;)

parma, tho it wouldn't fit in my scheme, when I had all the RL swatches out I did love the richness of some of the deeper, earthier colors, in particular the terra cotta you speak of and a dark paprika. Those would be stunning!