Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Painting furniture, buffet lamps, and buffet hardware

louislinus
9 years ago

I am almost done painting our dining room furniture (table with 3 leaves and 7 chairs). It was a bigger job than I anticipated and I'm so tired of it. So my furniture painting questions are as follows (with a few notes to set the stage).

- I used Rustoleum spray paint 2x Paint & Primer in one in ivory. I sanded well before painting and have put on 3 coats of spray paint. It looks great.

1) Polycrylic Coat - Because I used spray paint and it is oil based is the poly necessary on the chairs? I have also read conflicting things online about this. Some people say that because the furniture is painted only one coat is necessary and that multiple coats are only required for raw wood.

2) If I have to do 2 coats of poly is the sanding in between coats really necessary?

The buffet below I painted with Rustoleum Metallic in Satin Nickel. I did do 2 coats of polycrylic on it and it looks good. Now it needs pulls. I like the ones that came on it, and I painted the ones I had with gold. However, I am short 2 pulls and there are none of the bigger pulls on the bottom 2 drawers. The mirror is not hung yet but it will be.

1) I need pulls for the buffet.
2) I also need buffet lamps.

Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also I'm wondering if should have painted it chrome. The satin nickel is kind of blah. ugh

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

To use poly or not on the chairs. You will get conflicting views on this. The thing is that home painted furniture is not as hardy as factory paint (not always but a lot of the time). So, to me you have to assume that you may need touchups at some point. The oil base poly will change the color a tic but will add a bit of protection. If you do the poly I would not use a spray due to that pesty overspray that makes it over all not as a professional looking in appearance. Not to say it canâÂÂt be done right with a spray but there are a lot of little tricks to it so you donâÂÂt have some areas with more sheen than others. You will have more control of that with manually applied poly. You will have to very fine sand in-between coats of poly whether you spray or manual paint. If it were me I would allow a good cure time, very lightly sand and recoat the chairs again in paint and skip the poly if you are concerned with hardiness. Or, just have a few extra cans of paint on hand if touch ups are needed and be done with it.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I really like the buffet !! It looks like a great solid piece you made a great choice with the color . If u aren't sure of the color , spray paint is super cheap and you could test it on one drawer first or even just cardboard. Better to make yourself happy now tha always walk by and hate it !
    I think black pulls would look great and pop nicely. How bout some crystal stacked ball buffet lamps with black shades ? I've seen these at home goods or Kirklands . The mirror is so pretty !! I love what you have done.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I was hoping for it to be more shiny metallic. But maybe I should just live with it for a while. I have so many other projects to complete.

• peony4
    9 years ago

A more metallic finish might overwhelm the space. Perhaps go for more shiny hardware.

And, it's only paint, as they say. :-)

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

I agree with the others- put the bling into new hardware to complement the lovely mirror.