Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

A bit disappointed

akl_vdb
9 years ago

DH and I had a hard time finding hardwood flooring. Numerous stores, samples, it was out of control. We found one we both fell in love with. Had the rustic look, enhanced our teak furniture, and we decided to do the hardwood throughout.

They delivered some of the hardwood yesterday, and I don't know why I didn't think to look when we ordered this one, made in China. I know there are many great products made in China, but I wanted to stay in NA with my wood. I try to source things locally for quality wise (not always a guarantee (as they are remaking our locally made kitchen cabs due to poor quality!) , and also to reduce transportation emissions, etc.

I still love our hardwood, hope the quality is good, it was not cheap at all, so it wasn't a matter of saving a dime. (about 8.50/sqft) for about 1200 sq ft.

The company is out of BC, Dansk hardwood. mot much to see online with them. I hope we don't have any issues. Thanks for listening!

pic of tile just layed out of the box to see size/colour, ensure it's what we ordered!

Comments (10)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Sorry, you are disappointed and didn't catch this one. I'm doing a master bath remodel and have succeeded about 95% in keeping all products USA made, and quite a bit of it made right here in So. California. It does cost more, but I'm glad I'm able to support our local economy and small business owners.

Did you consider site finished hardwood floors at all? That is what I've always used and would never think to use a prefinished product, unless I had to install on a cement slab.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did consider site finished. Wanted the ease of prefinished and was also told how much more durable the finish would be as it's done in a factory.

• voila
    9 years ago

We all do the best we can in buying domestically. It's not always easy or possible. I've had aluminum oxide prefinished hardwood that held up better than any neighbor's site finished floors, with a basement below. The hardness of the wood accounts for a lot of the wear. The flooring is beautiful. Don't beat yourself up over this one. Enjoy the floors that you love. Remember that US companies also have things made in China.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you voila, that's kind of what I needed to hear. I even looked online at Mirage flooring, super duper quality, NA made, and I remember taking them all home and deciding, too red, too oaky, too plain, too this, too that.... and this one spoke to us.

So I need to let it go, hope for the best (it does have a 25 year warranty), the lengths are wonderful, b/w 2 and 6 feet. And it is a Canadian company, which is why I never thought much about it. We bought it from our small local floor store.

Thanks for the kind words voila.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Well, it's probably NA hardwood, shipped to China to manufacture, then back on the boat to Canada. I know our ports in WA ship most all of the wood harvested here to China for milling now. So maybe you at least have NA wood!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It is beautiful! Don't let where it's made take away from your enjoyment of it.

I do my best to use products made in the USA but it isn't always possible, and you did the right thing by choosing what you really loved!

Enjoy your beautiful floor!!!!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you olychick and holly-kay. Hopefully it is NA wood (the grain in it is just amazing, it's like a tree is growing out of them!) and we did fall in love, nothing else compared when we saw it.

• A K
    2 years ago

I am also curious. I am looking at this floor and would love to hear how your experience has been. Thanks!

• Shari
    4 months ago

Looking at Dansk now as well. Would love it if you let us know how it held up!
    Thank you!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler