Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

The Sea Captain's Manse - sneak peek LR

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

I have to post and run, but I really like this photo of our unfinished LR.

I will be back later with the before and with some questions.

For now, sisal rug still missing, fpl not done, one window missing drapes, and mirror over fpl not in... and i need a steamer!

I repurposed PO's chairs (slipped in white duck), round table and two area rugs.

Comments (108)

• theclose
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mtn, it is just beautiful. I hope you enjoy many happy days there with your family!

I am looking forward to more pics. And even repeats of these pics!!

• teeda
    9 years ago

Oh my, what a wonderful room you have created. This what a gorgeous old home on the rocky coast of Maine should look like! I'm so glad you kept the original woodwork--and you brightened and updated everything brilliantly with the fabric and wallpaper choices. What I love most about it is how cozy and comfortable it appears--I can totally imagine being curled up on that sofa on a stormy night. Love it!!

• loribee
    9 years ago

Wow, sooo pretty. Came together so well!
    Just love it all and yes, count me in as a fan of the bamboo blinds.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, WMA, we are happy with it too. I definitely owe a debt to GW'ers, as I was really confused about the room.

ahh, Mamorella, the lady of the blush pink LR which I adore! Thank you.

Hi Patty, We are pretty much done as far as GC's, it's the details. We have been using it since school ended. We are heading up in a few days and bringing with us a lot of things that should finish it off (sink skirts, window treatments, some lamps, etc etc etc). The Kitchen, living room, verandah, MBR, new deck, new dormers and all 4.5 new baths are pretty much done. The girls' room just waiting on wall decal, boys room done but for a lamp.

There are two bedrooms that I haven't really touched, on purpose. They are clean and usable but I will make those my next projects. I also need to think about my DR. I don't think I want a rug, chickened out painting the walls, and have no windowseat cushion. Most importantly, we had septic issues that prevented us from siting the pool in time and will now start that in the fall instead.

So, lots done, plenty to do!

Voila, Thanks,. I don't know what I will do. I see those blank spaces in rooms all the time, but it bugs me just a little. I don't want to draw attention to it, either...

Thanks, Busy.

KSWL, you are a good pal. : ) If you saw the covers in person, you may not think so... I am still on the fence. what a fiasco!

Marti, yes, that's it exactly. Proportioned correctly, they fool the eye.
    OMG i was reading your story and thought at first you found it somewhere. Too cute! I shall have it printed up for our guest book (if we had one!)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I, too, was curious about the fabric that ran. I'm sure it is annoying to you, but there are so may lovely other things to look at in the room, I doubt that anyone will notice it.

Marti's story was so cute and so well done, that I kept looking for a link to where she had found it! Well done, Marti! (Being Presbyterian, "manse" evoked the same initial response in me.)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Mtn, if you don't mind, would you share the manufacturer of the sofa? Love the lines and the single cushion. I suspect you customized to get the single cushion. We had one once and I love the look. If you prefer not to share, no worries.

Agree with kswl about too many pictures not being possible in our world. ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cyn,

Thanks! The sofa is by Lee Sofa. I had slips made for it (Lee doesn't offer it slipcovered).

The shape isn't custom at all; is a one cushion sofa with the two long pillows. Here it is below. I bought it in a plain off white Grade D fabric FYI MSRP $3200, discounted to $2400. So not too pricey IMHO if you like it in one of their fabrics in Grade D.

{{gwi:1764752}}

BBSTx, thanks. And yes, Marti had a great story!

Here is a link that might be useful: hope this link works

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Mtn, you did a fantastic job. It has been such great fun watching you and the other GWebbers brainstorm on this project. Thank you so much for sharing the process and for being so gracious when threads go wonky. This and the Stone Cottage are just dreamy. Please keep sharing!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Love the room, mtn! I vote yes for the blinds - adds some texture to the room.

Wisteria has a clam shell, which I like the photo you posted:

Here is a link that might be useful: Clam shell

• Phobie Privett
    9 years ago

What a beautiful room! Looks like something out of a movie. So many wonderful details! Can't wait to see it finished!

• sochi
    9 years ago

Really, really beautiful mtn, well done. You've got an amazing eye and are you so skilled at creating the perfect room. Can't wait to see the rest of the house.

I vote for driftwood or birch over the clam, could go either way with the blinds.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I see many generations creating lots of happy memories in that lovely room...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! You have great taste and talent.
    I think these antique tall sailing ship andirons would fit nicely in the Captain's home.

I have seen several of the anchor andirons also which are nice. Google for nautical andirons looking at the images search.

I just love the blues and whites you used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tall ships

• glad2b
    9 years ago

You have done a wonderful job on your new vacation home! Those white chairs are just beautiful - like everyone else has said, keep those pics coming! :)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

I vote for a map over the fireplace. Not that you were taking votes?

Thanks for sharing the progress. It's looking wonderful.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Your LR is turning out beautifully. I would only do the Woven blinds if you need to use them pulled down all the way while you are away. They add an element but I'm not sure you need it. No Mirrors.
    I maybe like the ottoman under the window, the table there is good but it looks lonely. If you come across the perfect coffee table or something in your travels, you know the ottoman could go elsewhere.
    All in all, well done, I am amazed you completed as much as you did in the time you have.
    Looking forward to more pics `- even without the finishing touches.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I just want to say "Thank you!" for going ahead and posting pics before your big reveal. I've watched it evolve and, even though I don't have a stake, feel a little emotionally invested in your project! You've done everything right. Honoring the past while making it your own.

I don't think blinds are necessary. The gorgeous wallpaper takes care of the "empty space" feel that one gets with a solid color. This is definitely something for the bottom of the list. Live with it until you realize you WANT something there.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the info, Mtn! I thought it might be Lee, but didn't search well enough. I need a loveseat size to replace a like-new Stickley sofa that I have decided is just too big where I have it and it is my first and last loose cushion couch! Passing it on to the kids for their place!

Did I mention that I like the look of the bamboo blinds? I think they would look great. Of course, the windows look wonderful as is, too. Sigh. Whatever you do, I know it will be perfection.

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

Beautiful room! Also agree that bamboo/woven woods could help lighten the dark window frames. Same as the mirror over the fireplace will probably help lighten that expanse of dark wood.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Mtn, your room is absolute perfection! Every element is just beautiful.

I can't wait to see more of your beautiful home!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, HollyKay. You are kind!

Osage, Thanks. Yes, that is the big challenge in the room, and the more of it covered, the better I think.

Cyn, Gee, my hand me downs were never from Stickley! Lucky them. Glad to help w the sofa. It does come as a loveseat too.

Alex, That's cute, I am glad you enjoy following it. As for the blinds, I am leaning toward it for now...

Thanks, Missymoo. The round table was slated for Goodwill but somehow never made it. But when i saw it in the picture, I kind of liked it. I'm not sure. It seems odd to have a largish round table in that spot. But I have grown fond of it. And wherever possible I like to keep what is there. We will have to see. The area there is large ... I did see an old wicker game table (rectangular) that I might look at again...
    Glad, I have to find the before. They were sad looking! what doesn't look better in white duck, eh? And a Robshaw pillow and locally loomed blanket.

Raven, Thank you. Blues and whites were the GW'ers idea! I was thinking chintz and teal (yikes). I can't explain it, but I don't want andirons or a screen. They are all in the basement. I want it open and oddly, airy. But the Esty ones are cool!

Bestyears, thank you!

Sochi, Thank you for the sweet compliment. I hope the driftwood works. The clamshell can skew kitschy, for sure.

Superchick, aww thanks! I really thought a lot of people might not like it, so it's nice to get good feedback.

Allison, thank you! I am leaning toward bamboo. Thanks for the link, i just love Wisteria so I got all distracted there!

Bethpen, It really is communal here, isn't it? I hope y'all don't feel underpaid, but I would much rather use GW than a given designer. I think you guys care more, for one! LOL I am glad you feel I am gracious; that's nice of you to say.
    : )

Thanks Onedog! I have antiqued mirror going over the fpl and behind the sconces, to lighten things up more. We do love maps. We bought an old atlas and framed places we have been to as a family. We have a few more on the way but here they are in the 2nd fl hall.

• pugga
    9 years ago

Love the framed maps. I have a collection of old plat maps of places where either I have lived or my ancestors lived.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I would not use the bamboo blinds. I think it is great just the way it is. The room is a classic and the blinds are a trend.

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

Love it! You did an amazing job bringing all the elements together. It's been so fun to watch this project evolve.

I would also not do the bamboo blinds. I agree they add a casual look, but I wouldn't cover up the dark wood trim at the top of the window which ties into the wainscoting and the other trim in the room. Your room is also very different from the inspiration photo you posted, which has more of a Hawaiian influence.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

Mtn

I love your round table and sofa table! You have some lovely pieces!
    Are your two slipcovered chairs from lee as well?

Wonderfully done, can't wait for the reveal!
    Thanks for the peek!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kitch. The sofa table is a supposed chinese antique, the round table came with the house and contents.

Thanks, Pipdog!, and Louislinus,
    I hadnt thought of the dark line as tying it, but you make a point. I don't see the bamboo as Hawaiian or trendy (I just grabbed a head on photo that showed bamboo blinds in the position I am talking about; ie between the top of the window and top of the rod). I think of bamboo as very classic and fitting just about anywhere, from college dorm to english manor house. Maybe this example shows it better:

Thanks Pugga, I should post a close up because the frames are great; I told my framer they should look like I found them in the attic and they sure do!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, bamboo blinds or bamboo partitions (or "woven wood") have been around in Japan since the 16th century, so definitely something our captain would have encountered.

Looking at the room, I'm wondering whether you might want to add a third color in accents (like a coral or yellow), maybe just as fresh cut flowers when you're there.

With shells and stuff, I think I'd stick to things that you can find on the beach or woods.

Oh, and as far as blue/white lamps or pottery, you could always see if you can find Delft or Chinese ginger jars on Ebay and make them into lamps. However, I agree that the real nice ones can be kind of pricy.

• April101
    9 years ago

Love everything you have achieved on this home with the help of all the talented people here on GW. I have been following the progress and wow!!! I know Cote de Texas abhors the "dead" space between the rod and curtain. I think in your house you could go either way. Everything looks terrific!

• Jules
    9 years ago

I love that shade of blue in your fabrics and wallpaper. The patterns work beautifully together. Great job!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've looked at many a decorating mag thru the years and Bamboo Roman shades have been used for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't 't consider them 'Hawaiian' OR trendy, but more traditional if anything. I've used the dark stained walnut in the guest bedrooms, and don't have draperies, but do prefer the treatment at the ceiling height.

I think it's the way to go mtn'dux! Dark, not the lighter Pecan which I've also seen. Classic for sure!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Wow! Love the mix of old and new! Your decision to keep the natural woodwork and to add light fabrics is very well executed.

I don't think you need shades at the windows. Why hide that beautiful light wallpaper, which enhances the room and lightens it up? In time, consider adding a beefier crown moulding to close the space between the top of the curtain rod and the crown.

Beautiful room. I can see you all curled up there reading and playing board games!

• crazybusytoo
    9 years ago

Congratulations mtn!

It's really beautiful, you must be so happy with the way this room turned out. It's dignified yet so airy and welcoming. I know how much thought you put into this, but it looks effortless, as though this room was always meant to look just like this.
    Wishing you and your family many happy years at the seaside!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here are two more images with darker blinds.

• amykath
    9 years ago

They both look great. I think the darker looks a little more formal.

• suero
    9 years ago

The room looks so, dare I say it, inviting.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha ha, Suero! ; )

Crazy, thank you, how sweet! I think whenever we decorate we hope to create just that, a sort of "oh, this old thing?" look.

Bonnieann, Thank you! I think it was Joaniepoanie who put ther finger on what bothers me -- the dark brown horizontal line across the window tops. So we are adding blinds.

Thank you, Juju. I am a neophyte pattern mixer. Actually I don't usually use even one pattern!

Patty cakes, how about a mix of dark and light?

April, I will have to look that up on CDT. I know it's supposed to be ok but it bugs me...

Nosoccer, I totally agree. My "inspiration room" had green. I will have to fiddle with it ...

Aktillery, we decided to add in blinds. We looked at samples yesterday, and ended up going with the same blinds we just has installed in our MBA. They have a bit of a tortoise shell like variation to them. DH pointed out that the darker areas picked up the panelling color, and the lighter areas mimic the floor color.

Here is a shot:

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the blinds will look great :)

• texanjana
    9 years ago

It's all so beautiful, and I can't wait to see the whole house. You are so talented!

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Mtn, it's always a treat to see your photos. You have a great eye and a cleverness for combining elements to make a really lovely, inviting, livable space.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

The dark wood and blue and white are perfect for the Maine coastline. I love what you have done. And, although I am late to catching up, I totally agree with the shades - I think they will make the room and the windows much more cohesive. Can't wait to see more!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Those are perfect blinds mtn! Cannot wait to see more photos of your gorgeous home!

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Everything looks great! One question on the blinds, which I think is the perfect choice to blend the two wood tones. Will you mount them at the ceiling height to match the WT?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Those blinds are going to look really nice!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Joanie, Thank you

Hi Arapaho, The blinds will go just under the rod, and be pulled up to just above the start of the window glass, much like Aktillery's helpful mockup.

Lazy, you are too kind! Thank you.

Marinagal, I am so glad you like it! It is not exactly typical but we think it works!

Errant, thank you.

Texanjana, How nice of you to say so!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Carved marble clamshell at One King's Lane:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage clamshell

• zen4d
    9 years ago

Back from a long summer and it was such a pleasure to see this room. It's a perfect combination of old world and new, dark and light. Very nice.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful room! I love the warmth and elegance of the wood with the airiness of the blue and white. A gorgeous backdrop for decorating through the seasons and making delicious memories!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Followup question:

In my quest to lighten up the LR I've long planned on inserting a panel of lightly aged mirror over the fpl. But the GC and the glass guys were very very slow to get around to quoting it. They finally have. In the interim, the surround is almost done (need grout, and also darkening the marble a tad with coffee).

I have begun to feel that if I have it light below, and a light above, it will leave the woodwork in relief, and look like a big brown "H": KWIM? I think I shouldn't bother with the mirror at all.

Note; painting is for somewhere else. Also note: bought an "off the rack" rug from Pottery Barn, chenille jute style. Happy with it at a 10th the price of a custom one.

PS found an old before

PPS
    I traded out the too wimpy lamp for one with more weight, and I really like it. Sorry my only photo is from a distance.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am not sure that antiqued mirror will read as "light" and the firebox is mostly dark. So I am not predicting an H effect.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh sigh, now that I look at it. I don't think it's the mirror idea that bugs me. I think the sconces are too small.

Thankfully they were Ballard closeouts and a steal.

Anyway, I think I will try a mirror I own in the space and that will help me visualize best.