Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

What's black, white (&red) all over?

palimpsest
9 years ago

This post-modernist house in New Jersey. It probably looks better with furniture. I don't get the mural at all, considering the rest of the house is a pure time capsule.

I can't really embrace post-modernism yet, but at least there is something really consistent about this house, and I think if you changed the floors and switched the only color from red to something else, it would be okay. (Plus get rid of the mural). (Berkshire Hathaway Fox Roach)

Did you see the mirrored tub/shower surround?

Maybe some Vola faucets in a new color would help:

Comments (18)

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Take the carpeting out, (unstained maple?) and repaint to a chalkier white.

Lanscape has got to go to. Needs to emphasize the odd (3s or 5s)

And goodness, add in some focal points. Right now it's a maze. Nothing to pause the eye, just juts around from angle to angle.

And the mural?

http://www.thehappycanvas.com/uploads/3/2/3/7/3237084/7774549_orig.jpg?237

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

This is a style of house that I couldn't live in because I don't like anything about it.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Yes -- switch the landscaping.

Yes -- Wood floors

Yes -- modern European appliances

Yes -- ditch the mural (wow. serious mistake there! LOL!)

Yes -- Re-do the bathrooms (even the faucets)

And -- just for fun -- here's a pin board for the landscaping ideas ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Modern landscaping front yard

• User
    9 years ago

I like it in general except the carpeted stairs and entry foyer closet. Even those could be changed after addressing the rest of the carpet, the red accents, mural and landscaping.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

This is the one style I can never get behind. Something about it just reminds me of 80s music videos and Bleu Nuit. As a child of the 80s, I think I feel toward this the way people who lived through the 50s/60s can feel toward MCM.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Criminal Mind....

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:01

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Everything Teacats said including a new kitchen floor

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I wouldn't call this home post modern in style.............bad 80's contemporary is more like it. It's a tear down.

These examples below are closer to what was referred to as post modern. Not as long lasting as a basic Cape Cod.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I don't think the architecture is post-modern, especially not in the Venturi, Scott-Brown or Michael Graves mode, but there is something a bit post-modernist about the décor that is different than ordinary (but also bad) contemporary. The records also say the house is more than 50 years old. This could be a mistake or the house could have been heavily renovated and added onto. I will agree with bad contemporary in a décor sense, but I don't think the actual volumes of the house are bad.

It reminded me of the Memphis-inspired interiors from Ruthless People, although these have color. The Ruthless People house is contemporary with a veneer of post-modern décor rather than a post-modernist piece of architecture:

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:30

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I've seen similar homes where subtle color blocking can help improve the interior and exterior.

A mirror enclosed tub-enclosure would be a nightmare for most of the population -- you actually have to get in that tub! (yikes).

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

Interior reminds me of some of the sets from "Miami Vice" now that you mention the 1980s styles.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Pin board of modern kitchens -- and I just noticed that many of these new ones have the "lacquered" (I think that is the term?) cabinets ..... similar to the cabinets in this house ........

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Modern kitchens pin board

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think this might be missing:

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And these:

• User
    9 years ago

Did you see the mirrored tub/shower surround?

Did you hear me scream?

• awm03
    9 years ago

I'd be tempted to keep it as is. It's such a period piece, especially the kitchen.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Funny, someone mentioned the entry closet as a negative and I saw that and thought, "Finally, a solution to those stupid entry 'niches,' shelves, whatever they are called that no one can figure out what to do with, decorating-wise." I love that it's sloped so that nothing can be set up there.

The home is not my style at all, but I can appreciate it and if it was in a perfect setting someplace with fabulous views, I could probably live with it, with some minor changes, and fantasize about my youth (or was it my middle age?)

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

My mom lives in a geodesic dome designed and built by her DH and his previous wife. Everything was gray and red like that. Except they took old furniture (the hub and his wife, not my mom) and painted it gray or red. So it isn't even like the sale of furniture matched the house. My mom has managed to make it a tiny bit better, losing the red (including the silverware) and adding a plum color.

Mostly the whole place gives me the creeps.

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

There's something really cheap looking about that entry closet and the rest of the closet doors in the house. The entry closet looks like the residents moved in, realized there was no place to hang coats, went to Home Depot, bought wood, slapped something together and painted it white, and it seems out of scale.

Maybe it's the hinges that stand out on the other closet doors that make them seem weird to me. Those could've been nice, contemporary-looking sliders (not mirrors, tho).