Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can 25% make that much difference?

Posted by superchick (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 19:11

I need to decide on paint tonight...SW has their paint on 40% off ending tomorrow. I need to decide between the color on the left (what I have in the rest of my house) and the one on the right which is tinted to 75% in the same color. They truly are totally different. I'm going for a soft, soothing, monochromatic look. The other two pics are bedding that I'm considering. The overall bed will probably be ivory with one of those patterns on shams and at the foot of the bed or possibly a soft blue in with the ivory. Opinions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can 25% make that much difference?

bedding possibility

o

bedding #2

o

I like the 75% shade better, it seems softer. Gorgeous bedding!

o

Like the lighter shade!

o

Based upon the colors that my computer monitor show, I would go with the lighter (75% shade) because it also seems to go with either of the bedding more readily - so you can freely choose either bedding set.

o

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the lighter as well. This crap is SCARY! I haven't done this in 8 years and don't want to make a $400 mistake! haha!

o

Both are very yellow, but you have it in other rooms so you know the effect. I don't think bedding #2 works with yellow. If you want a monochromatic look with the first choice, try Antique White. It's like French vanilla but reads pale yellow in brighter light. Love the first bedding.

o

You can just buy the untinted paint now; SW will tint it when you're sure.

o

I like the lighter tint better. I agree with May that the first bedding set would look better with the wall color.

o

May, I tried Antique white on my first go-round but it was SO white in my room and looked terrible. This is one shade down from Antique White. And is actually a Buff color, but in my whole house it looks golden. Perhaps I'm making a mistake even thinking about painting. DD says it's going to be boring and I'm going to hate it. UGH. I went ahead and ordered both bedding sets because the sale ended today. Nothing like a little pressure to force you into stupid decisions....

o

The PB site shows the second bedding with a golden wall color. Of course, they've added some navy blue in there, which I don't care for. I would rather have an azure blue like the next photo.

o

better blue

o

Here's 50% Believable Buff on the left and Antique White on the right. I'm not sure you can tell any difference in the pics from the other two I've posted, but in the daytime the Antique White seems very washed out.

o

I still like the lighter shade & it looks pretty close in color to the inspiration pic.

o

Sherwin Williams has sales every month, usually 30% off though. We were on their mailing list and got discount coupons regularly. I'd get the bedding first.

I like Antique White because it never gets too yellow. The trade-off is it can look too light in certain lighting situations.

o

Thanks, ladies. I have already spent too much time fretting over this. Last night I had the epiphany that I'd probably have to prime as well and I'm not completely sure I'm up to that right now! Not to mention the extra cost. I didn't realize SW had sales regularly, so I'll just wait it out until the bedding comes. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!! Haha!

o

Why do you think you'll have to prime? What are you painting over?

I'm with the others - I like the lighter color. Will you paint the ceiling the same color? I've become a fan of not white ceilings.

o

I like the darker color on the left in the first picture. It looks more intentional with the ivory bedding possibilities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here