Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocorhum

Sherwin Williams kilim beige or Benjamin Moore Manchester tan?

cocorhum
10 years ago

I need a nice clean light neutral beige color for my two story foyer which is open to my two story family room and kitchen. All these areas need to be the same color. Will these two colors be too light for such high ceilings and rooms that get a lot of light? which color will have no funny undertones? right now it is painted behr basketry which is a fleshier version but close to SW latte but it's too dark for my tastes and it's fleshy in some lights. thanks.

Comments (13)

• Lyn_Ral
    10 years ago

We have kilim beige in a couple of our rooms. In our living room, at certain times of the day, when the light is just right, it has a kind of peachy undertone which I don't really care for. DH says it's just me, but I think he's just afraid I'm going to ask him to paint again.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I painted one of the bedrooms Kilim Beige in my old house. It was a nice neutral, but had some pinkish/peachy leanings I wasn't to fond of, but I painted it that to sell so wasn't too concerned.

My new house has all the main areas painted Manchester tan. It is much lighter than the Kilim Beige and tends to pick up on colors around it as to what it will look like. Ie if I have red towels in the bath it looks a little pinkish, or dark green ones it looks a bit toward greenish, etc.

When in low light conditions it doesn't seem to do this the same way ie the hallway. But the bath have a lot of light.

It really is a great color because of that though as it seems to go with anything. It looks great against white as well as dark wood. I love it and wish we had gone with it initally in the whole house vs. just the bath when we built instead of spending the money later to re-paint with it. After the repainting I finally felt like it was my house.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I've seen photos of Kilim Beige that I love, but in my house it always shows a green undertone......even in bare rooms with cream tile flooring.
    For such a large area, you'll need to do some test strips......at least 3-4' sections.

• Amy
    9 years ago

Hi Cocorhum,
    I'm going through the same thing right now and I'm wondering if you chose a color and how it looks. I want an all over color and our entry way and living room have 20 ft. ceilings. Worried Manchester Tan may be a bit TOO light in there. Please let me know if you used it and what you think. Thank you!! ;-)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Natural Cream

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

We have Kilim beige in the house we bought and I see no peachy undertones whatever. I had some really pretty colors in our last house, but I really like this beige. We have an off white linen trim.
    We painted my mom's family room in Manchester tan and it seemed darker than the Kilim beige, but only a little. I liked that too.

• User
    9 years ago

I would get samples. Sometimes people have reported Kilim to have band aid look. Kilim has a slight green undertone compared to my BM Shaker Beige walls (they have a red undertone).

If you start comparing paint chips with other chips you'll be able to see undertones.

I have another room painted Manchester Tan and it's a very nice color. A little lighter than Kilim and has a subtle green undertone, but I honestly had a hard time even seeing it until I tried to determine what it was.

If you're unsure, and looking to stay away from fleshy colors, I'd pick Manchester for sure. It is slightly putty looking and a little cooler, but no flesh tones.

I can take photos later if you'd like.

Photos of Manchester Tan from Adventures in decorating blog look pretty accurate to real life on my monitor.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 12:51

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up not using either color. Kilim was way too light and pink. Nomadic Desert looked dirty and pink. I tried so many beiges and none looked good in my lighting including shaker beige. They were all too pink or peach or green. I hired a designer and ended up not doing a beige or tan at all. Went with SW austere gray and it's beautiful.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We have Manchester Tan in the majority of our new build house (2 story foyer, kitchen, living room, study, master BR and bath) and I love it. In previous house we had BM Powell Buff which I also loved, but for this space I'm liking the change.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I had Kilim Beige in my master bath and it was definitely looking pink to me. It clashed with my travertine that is more yellow, gray, cream. Good luck! Paint is hard!!!

• kris_zone6
    9 years ago

I have Kilim Beige in my hall, family, dining and living rooms with white painted trim. I love it. It makes an excellent background for pictures, accenting colors in the pictures. In the dining room I have a red accent wall and the colors go together very well.

• Amy
    9 years ago

Thanks for your response!! Glad you found a color you love. :-)