Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Fence is up! Thanks for your help. Now which post cap...

louislinus
9 years ago

A little while ago I asked for help with a fence design for our new house. As usual you all were great so I thought I'd share pics of the final product. I still have to decide on post caps and would love your opinion. I need 37 so price is a huge consideration. I have samples of black, copper and wood. The wood one is really a base that you would screw a finial into but it's the only wood one we can afford.

Also sorry for the multiple posts with photos. I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to upload multiple photos from that.

Comments (25)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'd keep the caps very simple, no black. The fence is great looking.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other side.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Black

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wood

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Copper

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote for the black one -- to match any future black iron hardware for the gate(s) .......

BTW - GREAT fence!!! :)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I like the copper. It complements the brick of the house. However, I would make sure it isn't going to turn green.

• glad2b
    9 years ago

You did such a great job with the fence! Your home looks so warm and cozy. I like the wood on it, but realize that makes 3 different votes - sorry! :)

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

We had wooden caps and most of them split after a couple of years, even with preservative. Replaced them with the metal ones. I prefer black.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

About 15 years ago, we had copper caps put on the posts of our deck.

They come in two types -- one has a non-patina lacquer coating which prevents the copper from changing color -- it stays shiny and bright. The other has no coating, so the copper will age and tarnish naturally. Be sure you know which kind you're getting.

I wanted the copper to age, so I chose the un-coated type. BUT I couldn't get enough of the style I wanted, so I had to buy ONE cap with the coating.

It's okay, because the one cap went onto a post way off to the side where you can't really see it.

But I've had the chance over the years to compare the two.

Amazingly, the coated cap is still shiny and copper-bright.

The uncoated caps have aged. Again, I love the way they look, but you might not. They have turned a dark bluish-green, and they are no longer shiny.

Also, I assume you have birds? For some reason, the birdy-doo (sorry) really shows up on the shiny cap. I know if I had chosen all shiny caps, I'd be compelled to clean them. Which I don't really want to do.

Just some comparative information.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mclarke - Thanks for the info. I would love a pic of your aged post cap. :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Wow! How impressive. Nice work! I like the copper or black. I would lean towards the copper.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

"mclarke - Thanks for the info. I would love a pic of your aged post cap. :)"

Sure thing... I will post a couple of photos for you, as soon as I get out of my pajamas, lol....

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the fence! I would go uncoated copper. I love patina.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm also leaning towards the copper. I love the way the black looks right by the gate with the black hardware, but it's a huge fence and the black stands out too much when it's far away from the gate.

Mclarke - Have some coffee too. No rush. :)

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Okay, here are two photos. First, couple of disclaimers. I said that the coated cap was still "shiny-bright"... well, it's really not so shiny any more. I guess I never walk around to that end of the deck, lol. You have to walk to the end and lean over to see it.

Keep in mind, this is a summer place, so we always opt for "no maintenance" if we can.

So, the first photo is what the coated cap looks like after fifteen years of neglect. It might shine up, if I wanted to do that... which I don't.

The second photo is what the uncoated, raw copper caps look like. I don't clean them. Birds poo on them. Branches fall on them. I like them.

Here goes:

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thank you! I much prefer the patinated one.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

The copper with patina will look great on your fence. Good choice!

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I think the copper patina cap will be perfect. What a lovely fence!

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Great! So glad I could help.

How could I know, fifteen years ago, when the contractor told me he couldn't get enough uncoated caps for all our posts -- and he said, "Why don't you do them all in the coated caps?"

And I said, no, do them all with the uncoated, except for that one way over there behind the grill. Nobody will see it.

Fifteen years ago, they all looked nice and shiny and coppery. And for fifteen years I watched the patina develop on every cap but one...

And now I know why,

Karma.

So glad to help.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Copper. I think mclarke's photos clinched the deal.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I like the black or copper, but are you painting the fence? That will make a difference.
    I am also not a fan of the shiny copper. My neighbors have some that are coated. When the sun shines on them, they are BRIGHT and BLINDING!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

If I had copper on a fence around here, it would be pried off and sold for scrap in a heartbeat. I do love the patina-ed look. I like the black, too, because it goes well with the gate hardware.

I have flat wood post caps, which hove one drawback -- the birds sit on them and poop. Next time I will get pointy ones, although I put small pumpkins on the ones I have now every Halloween. Here's a picture I took one year when we had a freak Halloween snowstorm.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I still pick the copper but I would go with the one that will patina.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Cute pumpkin fence, dedtired. And guess what, birds can sit on pointy fences, also. :)