Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selcier

Round of Rectangle?

selcier
9 years ago

As you can see in this terribly colored photo, my existing end tables are far too short. There is almost exactly the same amount of space between the wall and the bed on the other side but I couldn't get a picture - the room is just too small.

I cannot decide between round or a rectangle tables. I have decided that I want them to match. The round one is 17 inches in diameter. The rectangle is 14 x 21. They are both the same (appropriate) height.

What do you think would look more appropriate? I'm not sure the round is large enough. But, I like the different shape it brings to the room. Each round table is also $30 less expensive.

Edit: attached is the link to the inspiration picture. Note that my walls are almost black but it was very sunny in the room when I took the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration picture

This post was edited by Selcier on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:12

Comments (15)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Can't really ever have enough space on the surface next to the bed. Some options.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm partial to round, for as you said, it brings another shape into the room. ItâÂÂs what I have in my bedroom, all though a bit larger, and IâÂÂve always been happy with them.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Are you using the lamp in the photo? If so, the base of the lamp already emphasizes a round shape, plus the shade is round. On a round table, the lamp may be too much of the same shape in one visual unit. I think I would prefer a lamp of that shape to be placed on a rectangle table, or something other than round.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Round is a little softer, but rectangle is more practical as you get more surface area. So part of your decision should be based on how you use the tables.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Both of the choices you posted seem too lightweight and spindly for the visual bulk of your bed, IMHO, and the bedside lamp is too short even if it were standing on a taller table. Beverly27's options are scaled better. Her idea of using adjustable wall sconces is a great way to free up space on top of night stands and provide light at the right height.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Floating shelves would look nice next to that bed.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Beverly27 - Do you have a site for the 1st table you posted.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the arrangement Tibb posted.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Floating drawer bedside tables

Here is a link that might be useful: Floating bedside tables

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

First off, love the headboard although agree with scales off on the lamp and the link tables as well.

Voting round eventhough Ive not seen one before although really fond of both that Beverly posted.

Particularly with your headboard (which.I still love) and its rectangular panels it appears to have. Nightstands tend to be so ordinary, love the idea of the curve, even if it were just a curved front - the character it could add to a room.

• selcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for responding. Maybe the scale of phot is poor: the top of the headboard is about five feet. Would I really want a lamp up that high?

The floating tables are nice, but I don't care for them. Plus, after pulling down the ceiling there is no way I'm drilling holes in the 100 year old plaster walls!!

I do agree with the comments about the stands looking flimsy. This is the guest room so they will be rarely used. But I have yet to find more substantial ones that I like (they are all 'transitional' and too straight lined with no detail).

I attached the inspiration picture for this room to the original post. It has a slightly spindly table. (and obviously my room isn't finished yet.)

This post was edited by Selcier on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:13

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Sorry it was just an image I found. Maybe you can use Google Image to search. Not sure your price range, but some of these were from Crate & Barrel & I've seen some contemporary nightstands on Overstock & Wayfair.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I've linked a short article that talks about bedside lamps sizes for you. Here's the URL if you don't like clicking on links.
    http://williammillerdesign.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-tall-should-bedside-lamp-be.html

Your inspiration picture is very pretty. The table shown has much more visual heft than the ones you were contemplating and see how the top of the lamp is even with the top of the headboard?

If your choice is a matter of budget priorities, then I would suggest that you make a visit to a local model home consignment center before buying online. They often have practical and well-priced options. Be sure to buy something that is equal to or slightly higher than the height of the top of your mattress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedside Lamps

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the round, but I don't think round is a good idea for bedside tables. The reason is that, often people feel for stuff in the dark, i.e.: glasses, glass of water, etc., and when putting them back, it's harder to do on a rounded table surface and very easy to miss the table altogether.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I know you said you want both night stands to be the same but would you want a round one on one side and a retangular/square on on the other? Same wood and same color. I think I would like that since it is your guest room. Lamps could be taller and thinner but identical.