Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living room - what do you suggest for the corner ?

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 18:52

This is a picture of our living room, which is part of a great room. The entire room is about 42' long, half of which is the kitchen and dining room and half of which is the living room. The living room half is slightly narrower than the kitchen/dining half. The sectional, swivel chair, media cabinet and rug are new, everything else will eventually be replaced. The entire room is various shades of beige, taupe, grey-taupe, white and black. The room gets a lot of natural light.

We want to put a comfortable but stylish chair in the corner where you see the rattan chair now. Originally I was thinking patterned, but then the rug arrived :-). We have no color in the room as yet, but are partial to aqua/turquoise/teal, dark blue, spice, and fuschia. Would you suggest a neutral color chair in a solid or stripe, and add color with pillows and lamps, etc, or a colorful chair. I love the way decorators combine patterns, but I'm terrible at it (classic "I know it when I see it, but I can't make it happen myself"). The beige wall is also up for grabs - it was painted the same color as the dining room wall and the hall wall (Berkshire Beige at 75%) as a placeholder. We do like it, but we need some color!

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living room - what do you suggest for the corner ?

Perhaps something like this one -- with an ottoman? Maybe add a small side table for drinks?

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- chair and ottoman

o

Maybe this chair in deep blue -- and paint the wall in the same blue (maybe BM Hale Navy?)

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm -- Book Nook armchair

o

The dark blue chair will look nice, but I can also see a print that picks up on the colors in the rug...maybe like an ikat that can stand up to the bold print in the rug...

o

I think you can definitely do a print on the chair - I like what Annie suggested: similar colors and a strong pattern that doesn't compete with the irregular pattern in your rug. Your room looks beautiful by the way - I really love the rug!

o

I'm not sure about the chair, but some spice would be nice with your current palette.

o

What a gorgeous room!

With the caveat that I am totally NOT a pink person, when you said fuchsia, I thought that would so liven up your room. I think the blues that are being suggested are nice, but they read neutral in your room. You need some life! I also think turquoise would be wonderful.

Maybe not this chair, but just color ideas...

I love this, too and think it would really look great with the grey

o

I actually like the chair that’s there. I think an attractive lumbar cushy pillow teamed with an interesting artsy foot stool would look great. A foot stool that could double as art. Something with shape and some texture. Pillows and stools always add a lot to comfort. Plus it would give you the chance to mix it up a bit,

o

Thank you all for your suggestions - keep 'me coming!

Jterrilyn, we will probably keep that chair but move it elsewhere (and recover the seat). We actually have two of them.

I'm happy to see we're on the right track. I was at Crate & Barrel this afternoon and saw the chair I linked to in "midnight" and think it would look really good (with the ottoman). While we were there we got two of these pillows which looks great with the sfa and rug. We also got a rag rug in complementary colors for the kitchen.

Olychick, I so want to do fuschia or turquoise but I'm not sure I have the guts :-).

Marinagal, thanks for the comment about the rug. We agonized over the rug purchase (that was another thread) and finally got this one on Overstock. Good price, great colors, decent quality. Not an heirloom Persian, but my pocketbook thanks me.

I think I may have found a coffee table today too!

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B Margot chair

o

I forgot to say a couple of additional things -

Teacats, we love BM Hale Navy and it's definitely on the short list for either that wall or the dining room wall.

Olychick, thank you for compliment on the room!

Limelle, we'll definitely find a way to add some spice color - I know it would look great. I'll have to search some of the design seeds using Annie's instruct upsilons from earlier today!

o

A Saarinen Womb Chair and ottoman would look great there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Womb Chair

o

Love your rug! How about this CB chair to pull the beige.

o

And then pillows like this.

o

Peony, is that a CB pillow?

o

Not the pillow--I apologize for not including this info originally. I did a google image search with the words 'aqua navy tan throw pillows' and it came up. It's from etsy, and here's the link. There were *many* fabulous pillows that came up from that image search! Some really nice ones with aqua in them, too.

This one is only $30, and pattern on both sides, but doesn't seem to include insert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative Ikat Chevron Pillow - Navy Blue

This post was edited by peony4 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:36

o

Thanks peony!

(P.S. I just did an olioboard, where I added some very colorful art -- I tried teal and fuschia so far -- and it makes a huge difference)

o

Hoping you see this thread!

Here is a link that might be useful: Not playing it safe

o

I did see that thread, as well as the turquoise walls in the highest price house in the "comps" thread. Still trying to talk myself into it :-)

o

We were in three or four very high end modern furniture stores today and even though we're not likely to spend what it would cost to furnish our apartment there, we got some great ideas, not the least of which was a dark blue wall with a blue armchair. The color was French Beret which might be a little too dark for our space, but in concept it was perfect.

o

I just kind of went thru a similar scenario with our family room, which had to be updated as a result of the kitchen reno.
All the furniture is beiges & greys, tone on tone. I kind of resisted the tone on tone color palette, feeling very perplexed about how to introduce color. I did it with accessories. Just a splash of color here & there. Olychick's picture is a great example, 4 pillows & some flowers. Everything else is neutral. Also, different textures will add as much interest as those splashes of color. You've got a great start with those pillows. I love the pattern & texture. Also, you have a beautiful rug & console.
Edit: you leather looks blue on my moniter but I see it is gray so I edited my post regarding a blue chair. Blue or the beige in your rug will look great.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:50

o

sjhockeyfan: I love your room so far.

I assume you made the usual rounds of DWR, Roche Bubois, Ligne Roset, Bo Concept, Room and Board... have you been into HD Buttercup? They have lines at all price points.

I found the turquoise chair pictured below at Scan Designs. I actually think a navy blue would look better in your space, like your C&B chair. You could also go a bit brighter, maybe into the slate space.

I also like the Chloe at R&B in Mila Blue (linked below), but maybe without the button detail. The color picks up the rug colors well. But they also have some similar frames to the one at C&B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chloe, in Mila Blue

o

In my opinion, you need a chair that can easily be moved into the main seating area when you have guests. That is likely the only situation under which that chair will be used. So it needs to be light enough to be picked up or dragged, such as the chair that is there, or one with wheels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here