Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bixa525_gw

Need Decorating suggestions

bixa525
11 years ago

I would like suggestions as to what type of picture or artwork would go good above this dresser. Enclosed are some pics of the dresser and room. Please excuse the bed, the comforter is being laundered right now. It is all white.

Comments (26)

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pics

• rafor
    11 years ago

What if you try the mirror that's over your bed? It looks a little lost on the long wall and might just fill in that space above the dresser. Can't tell if it's too large to go there or not from your photos. Anyhow, just my 2 cents worth :)

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No the mirror is actually much larger then it appears and it would be too large for above the dresser. Here is a straight on shot of mirror.

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

i love this room and i think you have a good start on the dresser, but because of the air vent and height of the dresser, i don't think a large piece of art would work - too many odd lines with the tops of the doors as well.
    threes and fives work best in arrangements so i would add two extra pieces
    1) go with a large simple vase set behind the two you already have - perhaps in milky white and then
    2) to balance the arrangement add a small piece of artwork (max. width of bowl) above the bowl - perhaps with a bold blue as the dominant color to reference the walls

you could then pick up this blue in an accent pillow on the bed.

i will try to find a picture that shows this idea and post later if this sounds interesting...

• teacats
    11 years ago

Maybe something like this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- artwork

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Design wotcha, your idea sounds interesting. If you could find a pic for me that would be great! Teacats, your picture is pretty also. Keep the ideas coming, thanks!

• teacats
    11 years ago

another one ...

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'd probably do something modern like these which are originals but it gives an idea...

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl Blair

• dellagiammusso
    11 years ago

No picture at all, it will take from the focal point of the mirror you placed behind the bed. I would suggest a few tall objects, like vases or something like that ON the dresser rather than putting something on the wall. It will fill the space up nicely that way ; )

Good luck.

How about painting the walls a color to warm up the room a bit too ; )

I think grey would look fabulous with the color of the furniture in the room. OR . . since your carpet is a natural earthtone color maybe go with a medium brown (inbetween the carpet and furniture color).

OR . . place some hardwood in there to really wow the room.

Ok, I'll stop spending your money now. : )

• natesgram
    11 years ago

Love what you have done so far. My only suggestion is to paint the wall vent the same wall color.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think a painting like this would be fantastic, it's genuine and very well painted. It has a sense of serenity and calm that is appealing in a bedroom. I'm a trained artist and I love nothing more than to see art in every room.

Here is a link that might be useful: original art

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

dellagiammusso, the walls are blue - a nice blue!

• Chelsea10
    11 years ago

I think with cappuccino, brown would be good choice...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decor

• Chelsea10
    11 years ago

you can see this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed Room Chest of Drawers

• dakota01
    11 years ago

My thought would be to put a removable saying above the dresser and some nic/nacks on the dresser.
    Family, or rest and relax. etc. Your room looks very serene so I would think that a soft saying would look nice with scrolled words. if you get the new removable decals if you don't like it nothing lost....

• Locrian
    11 years ago

Hi Bixa. That is such a serene and comforting feeling room. For me, very Zen Sand Garden or Spa Retreat inspired.

Don't have a suggestion for paintings. In keeping with the bottles/vases & sunburst, I found some interesting goodies that might play nice together.

I agree with the poster who suggested painting the register blue. That will help it blend into the wall rather than be part of your decorating scheme. I do this with all of the registers, electrical plates, etc.; makes a big impact for little effort.

Hope you post follow-ups once you've decided. Love seeing the special transformations!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eclectic assortment of ornamentation.

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ladies for all the ideas. I love the light blue wall color and the calming vibe it gives the room so I don't want to change that. I like the idea of maybe a taller picture above the dish and maybe another taller vase on the other side to even it out. I do wonder though will this be too much? I love the ocean and was thinking maybe a calming ocean scene above the dresser. Finding the right one is the problem. I hate to invest in a professional picture and then not have it look right. It needs something though and I agree the register should be painted blue to blend in. Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Here is a pic of the whole room.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Perhaps something like this beach scene?

Maybe if you had this artwork -- printed onto canvas for a frameless look?

Here is a link that might be useful: beach scene

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Teacats, I actually do like that pic. Wonder if it would be too big framed?

• User
    11 years ago

sorry don't know how to hot link but what about a sculpture
    http://allhomedecor.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=41096944

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can anyone photoshop a pic for me above the dresser? It would help to visualize it better. I like the beach one but if you have any other suggestions I am open to that.

• les917
    11 years ago

No pix above the dresser. An interesting lamp on the left side, then your collection of vases on the right, perhaps a small plant.

Agree the vent needs to be painted.

I would instead add a pair of pieces of art stacked one over the other on the wall to the right of the bathroom door.

A fabric upholstered bench would be a nice addition to the end of the bed. Great way to bring in a little more texture and some color. Perhaps even a woven water hyacinth or seagrass bench, with a fabric cushion in blues and whites.

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some nice suggestions les917, can you show me some pics of what you mean? I can't envision a lamp on the top of the dresser to be honest with you.

• Claire Buoyant
    11 years ago

Maybe something like this....

Here is a link that might be useful: chest top decor

• vidyaram
    11 years ago

I love your room. It looks beautiful. No suggestions for the artwork. I have a question for you though. MY MBR is similar to yours and we will be able to attach a fan towards the end of the bed like yours. How do you like your fan? Do you get enough air circulation. My matrress makes us too hot and I am scared that the fan's position will not be good.

• bixa525
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Vidyaram, the fan circulates enough air for us while sleeping. It has three seperate levels and we almost always have it on the lowest level and we get plenty of airflow . Hope this helps.