Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Which is worse..octagonal windows or polyester pants

rgps
9 years ago

Will I still be able to eat lunch with the cool kids if I put in 2 octagonal windows in my quasi-cabin. The one with the squirrel invasion. I did a search on this site for octagonal windows and got only posts that said ugh, or tear them out or what were they thinking. I don't want any more things about this house to be laughable. It already has a complex.

Comments (29)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Some wonderful inspiration photos on a pin board on Pinterest -- round windows ..... cooooooool .......

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest - Round windows pin board

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Who doesn't love pants made from petroleum products?

And is there something wrong with octagonal windows? I had no idea. Where do you plan to put it/them, though, in your cabin?

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Octagonal windows are passé? Better not tell all those owners of luxury homes with octagonal windows pictured on Houzz. I built a cape in NE nestled in the woods. When you came down our driveway, the house was positioned so the first thing you'd see was the beautiful brickwork of the fireplace flanked by octagonal windows. And I'd do it again!

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whew. My hip and cool status will be intact. After all nothing else matters.
    Tea cats, the round windows on Pinterest were amazing . Not sure I can afford to be THAT groovy however.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like octagonal windows, esp for a cabin....go for it!

Of course I also wear poly pants on occasion....

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Polyester is making a big comeback -- as microfiber and in other forms. Just not the double knit polyester of decades past. Never knew octagonal windows were a bad thing. I'm sure they don't fit some places, but I don't have anything against them in general.

Specifically, I lived in a house with one in the master bath. I originally really liked the window, but after a summer of no AC and that window being the only one on the west side of the house and one that didn't open, I hated the oven it created. That's my only negative experience with one.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I think like most architectural features, it will become a "feature" and you don't want to overload your house with "features" otherwise you could wind up with a mish-mash.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Well, as long as you don't mix it with stained glass and a shag rug you should be okay. Although Mary Tyler Moore was able to pull it off in her cool place . . .

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lol WMA. How did you even think of that???

Mary Richards's apartment was an inspiration for me. I always wanted one just like hers, sans shag rug and fold-out sofa for sleeping, of course.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The thing of it is, if it wasn't for that awful fabric, the leisure suit really had something going for it...a little more dressed down than a suit, a little more dressed up than khakis and an oxford shirt. But the image was so tainted by the fabrics, I doubt we'll ever get over it.

Just like I doubt we'll ever see this again. I so enjoy the movies from the 30s when people used to actually get dressed to go out to dinner or dancing. Now I feel too dressed if I wear a dress to dinner, and DH only wears ties these days for weddings and funerals.
    {{!gwi}}

• kswl2
    9 years ago

There's polyester and then there's Polyester....just as there is cotton and Cotton, linen and Linen, etc. If you think polyester is a low end fabric you obviously haven't worn any St. John's knits.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And nor shall I wear any St. John's knits as i don't have $1300 for a polyester jacket.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Well regardless of whether or not you wear it, the fabric is lovely and the clothing is really well made. Even the wools are blended for polyester for drape, color, and durability. St. John's knits last forever.

And forgot to say, I love octagonal and round windows in the right context....they will never be "out."

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 11:14

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think the windows are fine ..it's your house and if you like it and think they will work in your space go for it.

MTM's apartment....always thought that low white "bookcase" divider was so cool and innovative..haha...just loved her little place.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Better than polyester windows and octagonal pants....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Lol mclarke!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Annie, my 18 yr old son wore tails to prom last year -- without the hat and cane though. He wore white tails to prom and a banquet this year. He owns both jackets as well as his regular tux, so I know he will wear them again. My 21 yr old also owns a tux. They are both musicians, but maybe there is hope for other folks.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Hm, I always thought the St. John's knits are wool and rayon. (with maybe some polyester trim).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The older I get, the more octagonal my pants seem to get.

Sigh.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Some are, but others are a blend of wool, acrylic and polyester. I think almost all of them have some polyester, that helps them keep their shape. Looking at my labels they all have either polyester or "polyamide." Either way, it's a man made miracle :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow lascatx! That is very neat!

• User
    9 years ago

Where are you thinking of putting the windows?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Tails are fun, I'll bet your boy was the Fred Astaire of the ball, lascatrx! Our sons also own tuxedos, as from about age sixteen or so they are needed for so many different occasions. My favorites are the white shawl collar dinner jackets, there is something very wonderful and summery about them!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Topping to send legitimate threads back up the line.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I think - re the windows - that context and quality is what's important. My first thought when I read "octagonal windows" was of all the ones people put in on low end house and mobile home additions in the '80's.

Done right they could be great. But I would have a hard time using them because of my associations.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I have three small octagonal windows placed high on the walls. I love them. I can look out and have a good view of tree tops and sky. I can't say the same for poly pants. :o)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I never really like octagon windows because the ones I've seen IRL appear so random, not really in keeping with the style of the house.

My question is.... what style does the octagon belong to?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Octagonal windows remind me of a particularly bad builder that installed them by default until at least the early 2000s. So, definitely not a fan. From what I was able to tell a lot of them were drywalled over (you would see insulation and drywall on the other side of the window), but I never was sure if that was done by the builder/sub or someone who lived there. A lot of them were in a closet on a 2nd floor immediately above the front door.

Others I'm sure have different experiences with them.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now that the really cool bossy kids lunch table is filling up I can see that in our house octagonal windows would be a tacky choice. This is not a classy house at all. It's pretty much homemade with pros coming in to do stuff we can't and to laugh at us.

I am going to start a new thread to combine this thread with my one about the fireplace being a squirrel freeway ( is that allowed or would that be a gardenweb no no. I'm new to posting and am sure I've already broken the rules but I'm just ignorant, not malicious.)

I will post a computer drawing my husband has cooked up with the windows in a more socially acceptable shape, square.

Can someone tell me how to post a link to the old threads in my new post. My Luddite ways are hindering me. I can build a chimney but heaven forbid I do a function from computer 101 without someone holding my hand.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville