|I need to purchase a drum pendant for a my husband's closet. It is 8' x 14'. What diameter do I need?|
|I'm more of a practical gal, so I would size the pendant by how much light I need. In my closet, I have a large fluorescent fixture because I told the electrician I wanted to be able to see the difference between black and navy...I can. |
If you are looking for more decorative, then I suggest getting a plastic grocery bag and stuff it with newspaper to approximate the size of a light fixture under consideration and have someone hold it up so you can see what it looks like...
|Thanks for the idea AnnieDeighnaugh. Unfortunately the closet hasn't been built yet. I'm trying to buy ahead of time.|
|Do you have a room or a closet of about equivalent size now so you can get an idea? |
There are lighting guidelines on the net to calculate how much brightness you will need given a room size. That may help you determine the size of the fixture you will need to light the closet.
Or there's this:
For ceiling fixtures in a room:
In general, take the width and the length of the room in feet, add those two lengths together and convert to inches. That is the basic size fixture you should purchase for the space. For example, a living room that is 15â€²-0â€³ x 12â€²-0â€³ = 27â€²-0â€³ So your ceiling fixture should be approximately 27â€³ in width. Of course, rules are meant to be broken...
Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting needed
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here