Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Pine drop-leaf table---do I want it?

nosoccermom
9 years ago

as a dining table? Or are those leaves a nuisance?

Here is a link that might be useful: large pine drop leaf table

Comments (18)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I like it. Great price. Do you have space for it?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like it. I would think the drop leaf aspect would make the table extremely versatile.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Frankly, I'd prefer those leaves to what we have, the kind where you have to pull the table apart to insert either 1 or 2 leaves.

If the leaves will be down most of the time, is there room for chairs? If so, do you have chairs and will they fit?

I love CL finds!!! Last night we bought 6 Duncan Phyfe antique dining chairs for a steal!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It would replace the current dining room, which we use once every now and then for entertaining.

Would I treat it with linseed oil, wax, or yell at DH when he leaves a watermark, or consider it part of its patina?
    One concern is how wobbly those extra leaves are.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I would offer less than $100. It isn't antique, I don't think, judging from the exposed hardware.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

When the leaves are open are they even with the center or do they have a tendency to slope downward? That's usually the big problem with drop leaf tables, depending on the type of mechanism. Make sure you open both leaves before buying, and put a little pressure on them also. You will have dishes on the table and you don't want them sliding off. Otherwise, it's beautiful, but I would offer $100. No one ever gives the asking price on CL.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Well, whatever you do get, AND, as you have been looking forever, just get something. Your cl is 1000x better than what we have here. Life is short. And that table is lovely!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just need to make sure that it's better than what I currently have :)

And, no, it's not antique, but about 50 years old. Agree that the potentially wobbly sides may be an issue, especially for people who eat with their elbows on the table.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

I like it. Usually there is a piece of wood that slides under the leaves to make it stable. The leaves should not be wobbly when that mechanism is in place.

If you like you can obtain a glass top for the table after you finish it. Our local window repair store is creating a glass top for our table (very similar to yours) for $5 a square foot. They do a nice job so it should look good.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm sitting right now at my maple drop-leaf dining table. My leaves are at the ends rather than the sides and I keep them up all the time. There's a pivoting piece of wood that supports each leaf and it's very stable and level. If you have the space, that table's a steal. I refinished mine 33 years ago and the old Varathane finish wards off everything. There's a patina of scratches, and I try to put drinks on a coaster or napkin, but it's rock solid.

• User
    9 years ago

Of course you want it, it's a great table!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love it! I'd offer $80 and compromise at $90. I'd like to find a small D/L table with leaves that are wider than the top.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

If you are debating between your current table and this one, what does your current table look like?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oly,
    you're spot on, so I passed on it. Leaves aren't rock solid either.

My current table is a Jacobean revival. It's ok but not rustic enough for my taste, not to mention that my Parsons chairs don't fit between the legs :(

(looks pretty much like this, but this is not my table)

I also have a beautiful antique cherry table which has one leave right now but could be pulled out to 8 feet? However, it would require an additional leave to be made. Not to mention that I hate seeing it destroyed by my messy family members. Maybe I just let them wreck it????

Thanks so much, Cyn, for posting the tables, but I need one that can seat at least 8 people.

I'm basically looking for a farmhouse table, and to complicate matters further, I also like the Arhaus Tao table...

Indecision paralysis, which is why I don't want to plunk down 2K.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Love it! Did you get it?????

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope. Read above....