Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

I think I am going to cry

musicteacher
9 years ago

I found some lovely soapstone for a great price and put money down it. Since then I have been going crazy scraping off a popcorn ceiling, took all the doors (25) off the cabinets, scrubbed, sanded, two layers of primer etc. All this to make ready for my pretty new counters. I wasn't terribly upset that it was taking so long because I was busy, but after two cancelled appointments they finally told me to come in for templating - but were using a different stone!!!! The secretary told me mine were across the street in the warehouse, another person told me that someone else had made a contract the same day as me but theirs turned out larger than they expected so there wasn't enough for me, and a third guy confessed that no, actually, they broke the stones. What the heck? They tried to talk me into the ugly stone then invited me to come down to a warehouse where there was more of the same ugly stone. "Don't worry, we will find the perfect stone for you". I personally went to several warehouses in Dallas and the few that have soapstone ( or jet mist) want double the price.
I don't trust them at all and just want my money and my sink back. They knew about this over a week ago, and just kept giving me the run around. Mostly I am just so deflated! I still have 11 drawers to strip and sand and prime - and every surface in the kitchen to paint, and don't have the heart or the energy to do any of it. I was essentially designing around a stone that I no longer have. School starts for me on Aug. 11th and it appears that I have wasted my summer on a project that isn't going to happen. Sorry, about whining> My relatives just glibly say, "Get your money back and pick something else".

Comments (32)

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, no!!!!! I am so sorry. But yes, absolutely get your money back! That is awful. So hard to pick something-- very disappointing. :(

Keep going, though-- don't give up what you started! When school starts and you've made a lot of progress, you will thank Past You.

I will send beautiful, well-priced soapstone vibes to you!

• three3apples
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear of all this.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

What insensitive people to treat a good customer that way, you must be so unsettled and I can understand why. Of course you feel like crying, you've worked hard and the outcome is disappointing at this time but, after a mini break, continue the task and get your part of the work finished and then rectify the situation. This too shall pass. Breathe.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

What insensitive people to treat a good customer that way, you must be so unsettled and I can understand why. Of course you feel like crying, you've worked hard and the outcome is disappointing at this time but, after a mini break, continue the task and get your part of the work finished and then rectify the situation. This too shall pass. Breathe.

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the support. I am kind of embarrassed about whining, so I am done now, and will just start over.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Yes, get your money back - and your sink. Then, sit down and fire off a letter to your local BBB. While you're at it, send a complaint to your state's corporation commission - or whatever entity regulates licensed corporations. That behavior is inexcusable and it should be registered as a black mark when others investigate that company.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

You won't believe me now but after you've found your "new" stone you will be so glad this happened. Keep going with your clean up. You'll be ready when the right stone comes along. Don't despair. It might take a year or more but the right one is out there. There are lots of people on the kitchen forum who lived with plywood counters until their dream could come true.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I agree some times things happen for a reason, you are meant to have another more beautiful slab, it's in your future, keep thinking positive thoughts it will come to you.
    But definitely get your money back and leave reviews about this terrible treatment.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry! And don't apologize for venting here--I've cried over far less significant happenings.

But this does mean that you've dodged a bullet working with that company. You'll find something much better, from a company that's much more deserving of your $$$. Good luck.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

(((Hugs))). How terribly upsetting to not have the beautiful stone you have been imagining. The company you were dealing with was very unethical to not call you right away and admit the truth from the get go.

I hope this turns out to be a positive in the end and that you end up with an equally beautiful stone.

Use that anger at losing your stone to energize you to get the rest of the cabinets done so you are ready when that next beautiful slab comes along.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I had initially had my heart set on a particular stone (can't even remember what it was now!), but was unable able to find two book-matched slabs anywhere. I was feeling very deflated when I "settled" for the slabs I have now (River White). I just wanted it done at that point! Even as it was going in, I was uncertain, but once it was completed I absolutely loved it. The colors and pattern are so much prettier than what I had originally picked, and go much better with my cabinets and flooring (that were already completed) and the backsplash that I had picked for the first stone.

Hang in there, keep working on your cabinets. You will find something that you will love even more :)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I think I would tell them to get me soapstone ASAP. You contracted for soapstone. It really doesn't matter why they don't have the soapstone, whether it is sold to someone else, broken into smithereens, or abducted by aliens. They owe you soapstone. If they make less profit or no profit on the new slab, they still owe you soapstone -- and soapstone that you are happy with and at the price you contracted for.

Mention calmly, but surely, that you have a big mouth (I don't know if you do or not, but I always tell them I do) and you will tell everyone you see, including all of your Facebook friends, what a sleazy operation they run if they don't get you soapstone by (name a date).

The Texas Attorney General's office has a Consumer Protection division. See link below. I think they would be more effective than BBB.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas AG Consumer Protection

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think it's a blessing in disguise. Didn't you have some misgivings about this stone yard from the beginning? While the stone may be beautiful, I wouldn't trust their work. Read the kitchen forum and you'll be horrified at how badly fabricators can botch up a countertop.

• romy718
    9 years ago

There's an even more beautiful slab out there, with your name on it. There have been a couple of people on the kitchen forum that lost a slab they had their heart set on. They always ended up with something even better.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Finish your cabinets and get ready for school. Worst case, you can use plywood or something until you find the right slab. But if you don't keep working, you will get back to school and not be ready if you find something wonderful and might lose another opportunity. It'll work out.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Well that just stinks! Jerks. Have a cry first - get it out - we totally understand where many others wouldn't, then as other's noted get back to your hard work and when you are least expecting it, the perfect countertop will present itself. Promise! So sorry to hear this!

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 9:02

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I think I would tell them to get me soapstone ASAP. You contracted for soapstone. It really doesn't matter why they don't have the soapstone, whether it is sold to someone else, broken into smithereens, or abducted by aliens. They owe you soapstone. If they make less profit or no profit on the new slab, they still owe you soapstone -- and soapstone that you are happy with and at the price you contracted for."

This "tough guy" approach is really bad advice. The last people on earth you want to contract with is those who aren't making any money. Get your money back and move on. Life ain't fair. I learned that when I was 2 years old.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear. How about starting a thread here and in the kitchen forum, with a picture of the soapstone you loved, and your general location, and ask people to keep an eye out for a soapstone which looks like the one you loved? Good luck, I know you'll find another to love as much or more!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Some times, some things happen for a reason. Although it is natural to be disappointed, deflated and in tears, things happen for a reason -- they really do. It might be better to find out what snakish people you are dealing with before you get to the point of installation. That might have meant more heartache down the road. Understand there is a reason for all seasons and try to finish up with your chores and think that all will be well and will end even better than you envisioned. I trust it will. I will keep my fingers and heart crossed for you to find the best thing you ever saw.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i have to agree that this might be a blessing in disguise!! i wouldn't want to have a company install soapstone if they are this apathetic towards you prior to any install! i would have huge concerns about getting any install problems remedied by this company if there are some!!
    be insistent about getting your full deposit back and your sink and then go elsewhere even if it means spending alittle more! check out more stoneyards, because double the price for same stone sounds unreasonable too, but wherever you buy from, make sure the have a very good reputation before you buy again.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry! I would be really upset too! Try to keep thinking on the positives with this. They could have installed your beautiful soapstone with a total botch job. I think that would be even worse - to see it messed up and have to go through that.

Tough guy approach is how I view things, but I've been there and it always ends up causing me tons more frustration and in the end was never worth going that direction. This isn't how it should be, but sadly usually is when people aren't making money. I believe what you sow is what you'll reap, and their lack of integrity will eventually catch up with them.

Keep on keeping on with your kitchen and it will all work out.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 10:58

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. And yes, it may have been a blessing in disguise. The man called me a few minutes ago to say they couldn't find a replacement and will give me my money back on Monday. He did apologize. At this point I am grateful just to be free to start my search without having to fight them, or still use them after trust was gone. Thank you for your support!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Bummer. But like someone else, maybe a blessing in disguise. Not because you may have had doubts about it at first, but because of the way the company handled it. Not someone you probably would want to deal with anyway.

btw, was it a fabricator in north DFW or south?

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Everyone loves a happy ending!

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

North: Richardson

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Thanks. Not near me, at least not yet. I hope you find the perfect stone now, but feel for you having to start your search over again. Those warehouses - in this heat. Oh my.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Hi musicteacher- so sorry to hear about your soapstone. I live in the Houston area and found my soapstone alternative at MSI... what they don't have is well.... they have just about everthing. I think you have an MSI in Farmer's Branch, on Valley Branch Lane. These big warehouses are always getting new stock, and I am thinking you may find something more wonderful as a result of all your troubles.

I used Virginia Mist on my perimeter when my saleslady demonstrated the fragility of the soapstone I was headed for. I was so set on the color and the feel of soapstone, but the honed mist was an eye opener.

Still, you should get exactly what you love. Wait a few days and go and see what the boat has brought in. In Houston, it comes right in from all over the world through the ship channel. Best wishes... keep on making music.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

going to cry? I'd be bawling for hours. :(

lying liars.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 23:35

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Musicgal: I did see one slab of Virginia mist. It was leathered and I liked it a lot. They won't give you prices in these warehouses, but he led me to believe that it would be pretty expensive - we'll see. I really liked the feel of it too. I don't think I have been to MSI, I'll check it out. Thanks.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear you got jerked around. I kno in-the-moment, hearing maybe it wasn't meant to be, doesn't give the warm & fuzzy feelings. I encountered something and felt devastated while in the moment. Something will come along that will be waaaaay better than that particular slab. Things will line up and everything will fall into place.

In terms of them owing you soapstone, be careful what you ask for. I would opt to get my $$ back, so I wouldn't be tied to a company that let me down once before. Doesn't mean I wouldn't use them in the future, but I wouldn't want to tie myself to them exclusively.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry! I LOVE soapstone and would be heartbroken if that happened to me.

That said, I have honed Virginia mist in a bathroom and really like it a lot. See if you can see it installed, in my tiny bath probably isn't good enough,I don't have any photos.

Beth

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Here's a quick cell phone photo of the Virginia Mist that I have. Wishing you the perfect stone!