Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominos

Window covering vote - curtains, romans or other?

dominos
11 years ago

I need to replace the window coverings in the bedroom my school age boys share. The original cellulars have finally broken after many years. I am considering curtains or roman shades in a solid or simple stripe. The room colors are mostly navy (furniture) and tan (walls and rug). Dark brown accents and sometimes bright green or orange in bedding depending on season. There is a sightline to these windows from my dining/living room and front door so I want something decent looking.

Here is the room:

If romans - what color? I am a lightaholic so navy seems too dark? Tan? If curtains - what length? To bottom of window?

Thanks for input...

Comments (9)

• dominos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some options I have considered..

I find myself drawn to rugby stripe shades but they seem impractical. Thinking maybe I should do rugby bedding and plain shade?

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/rugby-blackout-panel-navy-white/?pkey=dwindow-panels#viewLargerHeroOverlay

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/twill-roman-shade-boy/?pkey=dwindow-roman

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

Hi domino3, okay i know you are just looking for curtain advice but if you don't mind i have two comments.

1) it looks like the boy's "bunk" bed can be broken in to two beds, since your boys are at school age now, have you thought about splitting the beds and placing one below each window. i attach a pic below for inspiration. you could then use a dresser between the beds as shown or maybe the desk you now have would fit in there.

2) with boys, whatever age, i tend to stick to roman blinds either mounted within or on the window molding (again an idea is shown in the attached picture) - there is just less risk of them "removing" themselves from the wall by an enthusiastic tug or pull. I like your idea of stripes - it will be a nice clean 'punchy' look with your neutral wall color and look good from a distance - although when it comes to kids rooms, i find that the bedroom door is the best line of defense between their room and your senses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boys Room

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

oh, i think we were posting at the same time - i like the rugby stripe - they have it in a roman shade too (navy/red and navy/green).... as you say more practical than the panels...

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I like these inside mount roman shades better than panels, I think, especially for kids.
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/twill-roman-shade-boy/?cm_src=AutoRel

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Kids

• dominos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - 2 votes for romans! What color? Khaki?

design_wotcha - I would LOVE to put the beds under the windows - it's a great look, but the room is a bit too small to make it work. There is a (outswinging)closet door on the left wall that couldn't open properly if I put a bed there. And the clearance to get in and out of the room would be tight.

Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You've gotten great suggestions...only thing I wonder about roman blinds is what to do about the cords so they don't become an issue (as boys will be boys). But the blinds will leave the needed wall space....curtains would cover up quite a bit of that wall. Only other alternative I would think of would be valances with room darkening roller shades underneath.

Just curious....in the picture, what is that box that's mounted under the left window sill?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordless Roman Shades

• porkandham
    11 years ago

My youngest has plantation shutters on his front facing window. ODS has two smaller windows with white wood blinds and navy curtain panels that go to the floor. He has a queen 4 poster cannonball bed with the PB Kids madras quilt.

• dominos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie - thanks for the link. They are old enough (9 and 12) not to strangle I think. I have cordless in DD's room and I actually find them difficult for big windows.

The mystery box is one of DS's inventions. We had a beanbag chair in that corner for a while and he made (and installed) his own mini book shelf while I was distracted!

porkandham - I love plantations and wood blinds! Your boys rooms sound very classic.

• dretutz
    11 years ago

In small rooms plantation shutters can be a problem. You need to open the shudder to open and close the windows which may mean having to move furniture to open. Not too convenient

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!