Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fromflorida_gw

Looking for a modern farmtable/extension table

fromflorida
13 years ago

I've been looking for years for the perfect table for my very long breakfast room (it's about 20 by 10, with two chairs at one end and a dry bar at the other). . In fact, the BR is bigger than the dining room so we use it when we have company.Currently, we have our Queen Anne style cherry oval table in there, with a mishmash of chirs -- both the ones that come with that table and our oak antique pressback -- Iknow, it looks ridiculous!

Anyway, I'm looking for a long, sort of modern/transitional maybe farmhouse table that will be great for hanging around. Our kitchen cabinets are maple stained as cherry so it's a very woody look -- perhaps a table with darker legs and a cherry or maple top would be good.

Anyway, I realize this is vague, but I do need help. If you have suggestions -- and best of all photos of yours to share -- I would mist appreciate it!

Thanks!

Comments (48)

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oops, that would be MOST appreciate it!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I don't know but can a farm table be modern? juddgirl has a trestle table from RH and it looks like this. But it is not to modern. What do you mean by a dry bar at the end? The dry bar would be separate from the table,correct?

{{!gwi}}

• pps7
    13 years ago

I love room and board. They have many extension tables and they do custom sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: room and board dining

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks pps7. I love Room and Board, too. i will check!

Newdawn, I know it sounds contradictory, but what I mean is something with a bot smoother lines. Also, I'm very open, but I'd really like a table that is comfortable and a great informal gathering space. The "dry bar" is actually just cabinetry with a wine rack and a wine refrigerator and drawers on the bottom and glass cabinets for glasses and other bottles of alcohol above. Not attached at all to the table, I was just trying to expalin what else was in the room..

• suero
    13 years ago

You might want to look at Canadel. You can customize almost everything about the table.
    Click the link, below, then on the Canadel home page click on Canadel UD.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadel

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks -- they seem to have lots of choices.

I would love to see some photos if anyone has some. My dream would be to just see it and be able to order it!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Here's a modern, clean-lined collection BUT very charming, comfy and welcoming .....

Can you post photos of your room?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- Benchwright dining collection

• teacats
    13 years ago

Modern and affordable!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock -- Watson dining set

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jan -- great suggestions. I'd really like something that opens up very long, so in that way the Benchwright will work, though I think it might be bit too rustic to go with my traditonal looking kitchen. I will try to post some photos tonight if I can get the time to make it all work.

• suero
    13 years ago

Don't have a Canadel table, but do have Canadel chairs that I'm very happy with. I've seen the tables, and they're well made. Also, Thomasville's Color Cafe is their label for Canadel, however, you can get Canadel cheaper from other dealers.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tried all night to post photos of my breakfast room/kitchen from my photobucket account. Can't seem to figure out how to post more than one! Here are some links. You might note (if you can see the photos) I need advice on a new light fixtyre as well as a new table. (Sorry the quality isn't that good -- it was shot from my BlackBerry.)

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/jacalynny/?action=view&current=IMG00245-1.jpg][IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/jacalynny/th_IMG00245-1.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/jacalynny/?action=view&current=IMG00246-1.jpg][IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/jacalynny/th_IMG00246-1.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/jacalynny/?action=view&current=IMG00432.jpg][IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/jacalynny/th_IMG00432.jpg

• teacats
    13 years ago

To post photos from the Photobucket account:

1) First I have to click on the Default Album photo at the top of my account. (you may or may not have to do this)

2) Place your cursor over the photo and Click on "Share" when the box appears ....

3) When the popup appears -- look at the top and click on the Tab that says "Get Link Code"

4) Look at the THIRD option from the top -- labelled "HTML for websites and blogs"

5) Click on the "Full Size" choice -- and click and COPY it

6) Then come back here and PASTE each photo into the body of your message and then post it .....

Hope this helps -- trust me -- I'm NOT techie at all -- and after a few tries -- I got Photobucket to work ....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jan -- I'll give it a try! Yay, it worked! Pardon the bad photo quality -- taken from my BlackBerry. By the way, the first photo is taken from the breakfast room looking through the kitchen and into the dining room -- hardly ever used since it's so small!
    So I hope this inspires ideas for my table and a new light fixture!!! thanks so much.

• teacats
    13 years ago

If you hardly ever use the dining table -- could you use it in the kitchen area for the present time?

Perhaps your dining room could be changed into a library with bookshelves?

I've included a possible option from Macys website -- perhaps check through their selection of dining tables?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's website -- Cascade dining table

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jan --
    In fact, we do use the breakfast room, even when we have company, which is why I want to buy a new table for that space, not the dining room. When I get the new table for the BR, the table currently there will move back to the dining room. Confusing, isn't it! Thanks for the link to Macy's website, too!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Have you checked your local online "Craig's List"??

An amazing resource! Just google "Craigs List" -- and then find your state/city -- and check the listings (just like a classified section in your newspaper)

You'll see the main page -- THEN look under "For Sale"

THEN -- try looking under the section called "Furniture - By Owner"

Fascinating stuff there! Basically it is "luck of the draw" -- some days there are lots of stuff -- and other days -- well -- not so much!!! LOL! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• teacats
    13 years ago

How about this table -- and the corresponding chairs -- from Ethan Allen?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen -- Tango table

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tango has some definite possibilities, Jan. Thanks, I'll take a closer look.
    We look on Craigslist but have not found much here.

• ewigginton
    13 years ago

FromFlorida, your space is lovely!

I have a nearly identical situation and I finally ordered a custom "farm" table from a woodworker who ships. He is also a chair builder of immense talent. The reason I went with him is I wanted a wider table and he was able to accommodate. I haven't received mine yet but the work (and recommendations) on his website are stunning. My breakfast room is huge...20' x 13' so I needed something to take up a large amount of space. At the far end of the room I'm having a built-in wall unit constructed on-site. If you're interested in the details, please email me at nouveaustitch@gmail.com. Since this man is a very small business I'd rather check with him before posting his link.

Best,

Ellen

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ellen -- thanks for the compliment on the space. Kitchen seemed to take forever and finally just finished backsplash, so now I'm trying to move on. I will e-mail you about the woodworker. Thanks so much!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Restoration Hardware has several beautiful long rectangular tables, including some that give off a farmhouse vibe. Here are a few pictures.

Crate and Barrel also has some long rectangular tables. Some have a farmhouse feel. Sorry I can't link pictures for these ones (browser incompatibility issues).

Anthropologie also has a few long rectangle dining tables.

One is in fact called a "modern farmhouse dining table".

lever and lumber table

refectory table

• amysrq
    13 years ago

This is my table from Ethan Allen. It looks less substantial on their website, IMO. I like the iron trestle because I can put my feet up on it. I also like that the leaves go in at either end. I can pop one in and not have to actually move the table. It is also a bit wider than most tables of this size, which I like a lot.

Love your pooch!

Here is a link that might be useful: My table

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

Hey From Florida, is that a wheatie in your kitchen?
    Diane

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,Pricklpearcactus and Amysrq for the great photos -- Those RH tables are beautiful and unusual -- not sure the reclaimed wood color would go with my very orangey maple (I think I may have gone overboard trying to warm up my kitchen in the recent remodel) but they are so interesting. Amy, I agree that your table looks so much more substantial than it does on the EA website. It is really cool.
    I hadn't considered a trestle type table but I might really enjoy one where I could put my feet up.

While on the EA website, I was looking at the American Artisan table with the turned legs -- I thought that was really pretty and maybe I could bring a darker color in with the chairs? I do have dark accents in the kitchen and the nearby family room.

Yes, Diane, that is my almost 2-year-old wheaten, Arlo, a devil if there ever was one. Surprised he wasn't actually standing with his front paws on the kitchen counter, counter surfing -- his favorite activity. But ya gotta love him, and I do!

• alicate
    13 years ago

I don't know about a table, but your Goldendoodle is sure cute! (Am I right about the breed? We have a mini Goldendoodle who looks the same, only smaller.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Alicate, he's actually a Soft Coated Wheaten terrier -- they look almost identical, but the wheaten's tail is usually cropped. Arlo is about 40 pounds.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Yep, I love the pup, too!! And the kitchen, too. I have a poodle mixed with wheaten terrier & he is a mess!! Great dog, thou. There is nothing cuter than a wheatie puppy!

You've been given lots of good options - Im sure you'll find something just perfect for your pretty kitchen.

SMiles:)

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Scoobyrooby. I'll bet your poodle/wheaten mix is adorable. I agree there are lots of great table options, and I'd love to see more!

• jumab
    13 years ago

I don't know if you've seen this one but we have one similar (different legs on table) that I bought a couple of years ago as a floor model. Just an idea, you can maybe find out when they're having their floor model sale and see if they have one. My table was originally $2400 and I bought it for $450 as is and there was only one very minor scratch on it.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn table

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jumab --

The Benchwright is really impressive, but do you think it may look too rustic for my cabinets?
    Thanks.

• chinchette
    13 years ago

Amy, is the finish on the EA table holding up? I have the Tango table and it scratches very easily. I don't recommend it for every day because of that. I considered your table for my BR. Is it comfortable sitting on the end?

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Alas, the wood is full of dings that come with daily use. We have not babied the table at all. It is an ongoing debate between me and the Hubster. He thinks good wood should be covered with a pad and never seen. What's the point? To me, a table is a tool and function trumps all. If I want something to stay looking perfect, I hang it on a wall.

Yes, sitting at the end is fine. There is a substantial overhang.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't mind dings, but I would like a table with a finish that will hold up.
    OK, back to my pictures -- looking at my kitchen and breakfast area, can anyone recommend what they think will look good table wise -- plus, what kind of chairs?

• frenchkitty
    13 years ago

Hi there, I just was checking in and thought you may like to see what we finally decided on. I have gone through a few tables in our married lifetime. We had a rectangular table that we liked, but when I found this table, I knew it was the "one". It is made in England, but looks like it is an antique. It is seven foot oval, and has drop-leaves, but I leave them up. It is available in different sizes. If you like the looks of it, let me know and I will forward you where I purchased mine. It is so solid, and everyone thinks it is an antique. I like it because it fits in my kitchen, which I would describe as French country, English,
    or just plain cozy. Here are a couple of pictures...

This table fits in so well with my kitchen, which is a mix of painted cabinets (cream and black) with cypress natural wood. I love the contrast. Hope this helps,

Frenchkitty

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really pretty! Your breakfast room is lovely. I am hoping to find a table that islong -- or at least has lots of leaves. The room is narrow -- 10 feet -- and long 20 feet, so I thought a rectangle would work well. i would love the information about where you got your table.Thanks for posting!

• frenchkitty
    13 years ago

Gotcha; that IS long and narrow...my room is actually about
    sixteen feet long. This place is in Fairhope, Alabama, and
    they have quite a few long farm tables that come in, plus a furniture maker that makes tables that look antique. Perhaps they could help you find what you are looking for.

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Frenchkitty -- do they have a website?

• frenchkitty
    13 years ago

Sorry, I thought I added the website!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.crownandcolony.com/

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not to be greedy, but I'm bumping this post up in hopes of getting some more input on what kind of table would look good in the breakfast room pictured above. Thanks!

• youngdeb
    13 years ago

We ordered our table from these folks and have been pretty happy with it. One leg arrived in bad shape, and they immediately shipped out another. We got exactly the color and size we wanted.

Can't figure out how to link to my shutterfly photos with the new Mac, or I'd show you a pic...sorry!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Home Maine

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Youngdeb!If you figure out how to post te photo I'd love to see it. Also, if anyone has an Ethan Allen farmhouse table or the American Artisan I'd love to see that, too. I really do want wood, but I'm hoping it won't be too much with all my wood cabinets.

• christines745
    13 years ago

Try google and search for " irish coast dining table". They are farmhouse style but new and trendy,clean lines, made from reclaimed timber. The large has a leaf that stores inside and opens to about 96".

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm the one who started this post and am still looking for a table. I'm thinking seriously of the Ethan Allen American Artisan large rectangular table with turned legs in the cinnamon finish. Does anyone have this table or have any opinions on how it might look in my breakfast room/kitchen (photos above? Thanks so much

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen American Artisan table

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, now I'm debating between the American Artisan by Ethan Allen (above) and creating my own Canadel table in birch. Any opinions on the merits of each? Thanks

• fromflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I've finally narrowed it down to either the Ethan Allen Tango table or the EA American Artisan rectangular table with turned legs in cinnamon, a cherry finish for my breakfast room. I'm still torn though. Does anyone have either of these tables and if so do you have an opinion. My kitchen is above, as are the tables in question. Tango has a granier finish which seems less formal. My kitchen cabinets are a warm cherry. Tango is far less expensive. Thoughts? I could use some help!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Hi fromflorida,
    I like both tables. And I like the chairs pictured with American Artisan's table. Have you made up your mind. I'm trying to find a table also. Doonie recommended Antiques Made Daily and I have gotten some samples of wood colors from them. I'm just having a hard time with what chairs. My area isn't as easy as yours looks as far as fitting the shape and size of the table. I've had Ethan Allen furniture through the years and it has held up alright. The Tango seems a little more contemporary than American Artisans. Just depends what look you want. Good luck.

• denali2007
    13 years ago

Antique Tables Made Daily is about an hour from my home. They are stunning tables and I bet he would be more than willing to work with you. They were featured in Southern Living Magazine in Sept. Here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: farmhouse tables.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Just to chime in again...I have 2 tables from Antique Tables Made Daily. One in the kitchen (maple Irish Immigrant) and one in the dining room (cherry Country French). I love them both. They are very heavy sturdy solid wood tables and the folks that work there are very good to work with. I wish I needed more tables....