Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Painting outdoor cushions

I have eight large outdoor cushions on my screened in porch.

They are all light beige, but faded and a little dirty.

In the spirit of Magnaverdes painted red sofa, I am considering painting these all a color (soft apple green) using acrylic paint with fabric paint additive.

Any thoughts? Advice?

It seems like it might work and be fresher looking than what I have but I don't want to ruin what I have.

The other option is having them recovered which is not in the budget at the moment, the biggest expense being good fabric of which I will need at least 10 yards.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Some say painting works...I don't know....but I do know that good fabric can be available very cheaply....and if you do the work yourself...it shouldn't cost much.
    Linda C

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I found an answer..this thread addresses the same topic.

I wish I could sew, Linda, but I can't (some day I'll learn) and the cushions are paneled and removable.
    The fabric I have looked at, Sunbrella quality, is running at least 40 a yard so I want to try painting first.
    I do know someone very skilled who could make them for me cheap when I do eventually go that route.

Simple Spray paint might be my answer if I like the color.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to paint outdoor cushions

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

GO for IT!!

My victims for this (upholstered stools wearing tired fabric) are in my attic- specifically set aside to test the urban legend that is Magnaverdes' raspberry sofa painted with household latex applied with her hands (gaw!). I'll follow her how-to, but for your pillows, the spray might be much easier for handling- I've seen it at craft stores.

How bad could it be? *nervous laugh*

• eclecticme
    13 years ago

A couple of months ago I painted a sofa with my son for his bedroom. It turned out remarkable well. No one that has seen it has realized it was painted until I told them. I would definately go for it. I used the same paint that I used for my bedroom walls :) It took several coats.

Here is the before:

Here it is after I painted the bottom coat but before I let my 4yo "decorate" it:

Here it is after he decorated it with his own painting

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

eclectic~ Great idea for a canvas and love the "Victorian Gone Wild" juxtaposing. ; )

I imagine that this settee's style, being a taute upholstery, with not a lot of give, would be the best candidate for painting. question....

Would you do this again, stopping at your base coat....say on a chair in a living area (not with traditional decor, but maybe "hip eclectic") with the expectation of it being comfortable and not screaming "I'm painted upholstery!" next to the other furniture?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eclectic, I had forgotten about your great sofa! I think I saved a picture of the before and afters!

• eclecticme
    13 years ago

kitcn_n_kat
    I would definately do this again. I currently have a green sofa in my living room. I would love to paint it but it would take ALOT of talking to get DH to agree. I want to paint the green areas a peacock blue and I want to cover the areas with the diamond fabric with a coordinating peacock blue fabric. I would love the exact same fabric as the diamonds, but in peacock blue.

Here is a photo of the current sofa

{{!gwi}}

Actually, my preferance would be a Chesterfield sofa but I think I would have better luck talking DH into the painted sofa after I told him the cost of the Chesterfield :)

Bumblebeez
    I often debate if I should post something that I have already posted in the past. After I posted it I thought...gosh I hope I didnt just kill this thread...Im also shocked to hear that anyone would save MY before and afters :)