Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

best slipcovered sofa that won't break the bank?

laurensmom21
15 years ago

I fell in love with the MG Nikki slipcovered sofa online and called to get a price quote today and at a starting point of $4200 I'm going to have to move my adoration elsewhere (yikes!).

I know this should probably be on the furniture side but thought I'd ask here anyway. I'm thinking of the PB basic (but it's only 83" w and my hubby is 6'2 so not sure if it will fit him laying down) or maybe the Vintage Vogue from Ballard. I also found this one from clubfurniture for $1500 (93"wide)

or this one ($1399 & 96"w)

>

I'm thinking of a beige twill or canvase or maybe off white (if I can be brave enough w/ 3 little ones - ha!) Has anyone had any experience with clubfurniture? Their return policy seems great (they pay for return shipping, you're just out a 10% restocking fee) but I'm just leary to buy something this expensive without sitting in it myself.

Please share any other slipcover sofa resources you might have. Thanks so much :)

Comments (10)

• babs711
    15 years ago

Lee Industries is a fantastic brand. They make some of the sofas for Crate & Barrel but if you can find a local retailer go browse around. You can customize the fabric and they have tons to choose from. They're super comfy and made very well.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    15 years ago

I got a great leather sofa from a place called nantuckit. Their furniture is 8 way hand tied, hardwood frame, and has a lifetime warranty. I haven't had the sofa for long, but it seems incredibly well made. The Madison, which looks like the Nikki, is under $1600 and shipping is really cheap.
    I don't work for them or anything, I was just impressed by the quality.

• maremelb
    15 years ago

I have the sofa from pottery barn that was made by Mitchell Gold and we all really like it. I had got it on sale a few years ago. I think it was $1200 but I can't remember if it was with the shipping or not. My son is close to 6 foot and he is comfortable. My sofa is a canvas color with stripes and it still looks great after a few washings. It is really the best thing about it. I have a little pug that likes to rub his face on everything.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Check out the JCPenney website & type in "Jada sofa" in their search box. They make a really cute sofa, chair & a half, & chair. They are slipcovered pieces for which they sell additional slipcovers available in three colors--pearl, olive & denim. The sofa online is $399.00 in the catalog it is $499.00. I think an extra set of slipcovers for the sofa is $179.00. This may be a lower price point than you want, but it's worth checking out. Good luck! Stinky

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Check out Arhaus too. They have very nice slipcovered sofas.

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Have you seen the performance twill that PB offers? I got a swatch of the "natural" (off-white) color and rubbed chocolate syrup into it. I was able to get it completely clean with just warm water on a sponge. (I'm too busy/lazy to throw my slipcovers in the wash every time someone spills something!)
    I have the PB basic sofa (2 of them). One thing I really like about it is that it has 3 seat cushions rather than 2. Sometimes we need to seat 3 people there so I think 3 seat cushions works out better.
    The PB sofas are made by MG so the quality is good.
    Hope you find something that will work for you.

• nmladybug
    15 years ago

I was just asking about Club Furniture, specifically slipcovered sofas, on this board about two weeks ago. You might want to do a search for it. However, I have to chime in about PB sofas. 18 months ago we spent $3600.00 on the Pearce Sectional Sofa. Admittedly, I don't know who the maker is but I have to say it is the WORST piece of furniture I have ever owned. We are very easy on our furniture and I am a neat freak but the darn couch looks like something that was handed down to us through the generations. I would have expected that it would have held up better. Hence the reason we, too, are looking for a slipcovered sofa to replace the Pearce.

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, thanks so much for all the great info! Unfortunately I have to do most of my shopping online (or drive about 3 hours one way) to look at the brands I'm looking for. Although hubby and I may take a drive in the next few weeks, I'd like to have it narrowed down at least by then. Hubby is NOT a shopper and complains about his legs hurting after only walking around for about 30 mins (funny how he can play basketball for 3 hours and not complain - ha!)

I had not seen PB's performance twill fabric, but if it gets out stains that easily I'm DEFINITELY all over it! Thanks for the tip!

And nmladybug, that is horrible that you spent so much for a piece of junk sectional! I'm so sad for you! I was actually considering the Pearce sofa so thanks for the advice. Do you know who the manufacturere of your sectional is?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I'll keep ya posted :)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I took this month's issue of Domino to bed with me last night. They had an ad for a new line of furniture called Linden Street that JCPenny is carrying. It is at a higher price point than the one that stinky posted but still uber-cheap at $799 for 8 way hand tied, down/cushion blend slip-covered sofa in choice of three colors.

I tried to get you a direct link but that didn't work so if you are interested, just go to JCPenny.com and click on living room furniture or Linden Street.