Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Foolproof DIY chalk paint recipe

nosoccermom
10 years ago

I've been reading up on DIY chalk paint recipes and was all set to try my own with some leftover unsanded grout. However, it sounds like this will result in a gritty texture, so I'm now considering PoP or Baking Soda. Second issue seems that the consistency of the paint depends a lot on the paint brand. So. here's my question: Does anybody have a full-proof (more or less) recipe with details on what brand and type of paint to use? I'll try it first with a smaller piece but then want to tackle some chairs and maybe a china cabinet.

Comments (16)

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

2/3 paint
    1/3 calcium carbonate
    About 2 tbsp WARM water.

The key is dissolving the calcium carbonate in the warm water
    before adding the paint.

I have found no difference in paint brands for this .
    I've even used the Folk Art Acrylic paints.

Whatever medium you use be sure to dissolve it 1st in
    a little warm water.

If it's too thick add more water~if too thin add more medium.

• bullydosmom
    10 years ago

I use the 2/3 paint to 1/3 p.o.p. little warm water to disolve the pop. I use flat paint.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    10 years ago

I just used the recipe that Miz posted (her stuff is my inspiration!). I used SW Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex paint. Mine came out super thick - like mashed potatoes. I had to add a lot more water to get it paintable. I am not sure what I did wrong. My mix was also very gritty even though I mixed the PofP with warm water first.

Experiment with small batches until you get the right consistency and let me know what works for you.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

I hate to hear that, Rob, I'm sorry it didn't turn out well! I've never had those issues, so not sure what it was. It won't be like regular latex paint, there will be a noticable difference in consistency, but still shouldn't have been overly gritty or thick. I'm so sorry that happened!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    10 years ago

Miz, I think I did something wrong or maybe the SW Emerald is to blame. Have you ever used the SW Emerald to make chalk paint?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great, thanks so much for the info. Do you use just regular matte/flat latex paint?

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Rob, no, not that color, but have used SW in other colors, with no issues.

One thing I forgot to mention: I've been given mixes that were primer/paint in one, and don't like those at all. My fault for not specifying, or noticing until I got home, but our Lowe's will do that by default if you ask for Valspar.

Nosoccormom, I prefer eggshell or satin.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I had read somewhere that the paint with primer doesn't work too well. Thanks so much for all the info.

• noellabelle
    10 years ago

Miz, the emerald is their new scrubbable matte line....it seems similar to duration, but no or low voc. We've used it for 2 rooms, and I think it has a little thicker consistency than typical latex paint. So maybe that was part of the problem?

Thanks for these recipes. The ones for sale are so expensive, and I love the idea that I can use stuff I already have!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Ahh, I haven't heard of that type before, interesting! That probably is the issue with consistency.

I've never tried Annie Sloan, CC Caldwell, etc, chalk paints ... wish I could get some free samples to compare. :-D

• Kathy Dokter
    6 years ago

What is PoP and will the baking soda work just as well?

• lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

PoP is, I believe, plaster of paris. The other question I can't answer. Would love to see finished pieces.

• Cheryl Taylor
    6 years ago

What is POP

• deboroughannmorgan59
    6 years ago

Pop stands for plaster of paris

• Maureen Morgan
    5 years ago

What is P of P?

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews