Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Add motorization to existing blinds/shutters?

jaxo
9 years ago

I have sliding panels on my 2 sliding glass doors that are similar to vertical blinds, but it only takes 4 slats to cover an entire sliding glass door and they don't tilt open like blinds.
Both have the string loop control on the most inconvenient side because of obstacles like light switches or speakers in the way on the easier to reach side.

Is it possible to add motorization after the fact to these types of window coverings?
There is a power outlet right next to them in one room and about 4 feet from them in the other. Otherwise, battery operation would be fine.

Has anyone actually retrofitted these to exiting window coverings?

I'm also interested in adding motorization and remote control for opening and closing 6 plantation shutters, if such a device exists. This would need to be battery operated because wires running from all these plantation shutters without be ugly.
If they could be fully automated with a schedule to open in daylight and close when it gets dark outside, that would be be great.

Does anyone have recommendations that do not require buying new shutters and blinds?

Comments (5)