Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Windsor bench vs Sofa for dining

Boopadaboo
9 years ago

We used to have a small love seat in our kitchen that I loved. It got kind of gross and we no longer have it ( So reupholstering is sadly not an option) If you can't tell I am not too happy abotu that :)

This is a picture of it..... (we now have a differnt table, different curtains and will hopefully someday be painting the walls and maybe even the cabinets)

I would like another bench like seat there. This has come up at a local auction. Of course I have to go measure the arms to see if they will fit under the table. but if they do, what do you think?

I like that it will be easier to clean. It is the right length. I am not sure I like the tall parts in the middle (DH does) and I am wondering if there is something new that might be better.

Comments (15)

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

IMO the bench seems like it would work better for dining. But then again, the sofa must have worked pretty good for you if you are considering another sofa.

In regards to what would be easier to keep clean, the bench definitely.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

If the arched top doesn't peak above your countertop, it could work.

If it was me, I'd do a window seat on the far side of the table instead.

• User
    9 years ago

Stylistically, it is wrong in every way for your space. I think I remember the changes you made to this area ....weren't they sort of boho? The Windsor bench is a very definite style that mixes well only in limited contexts. And if you are looking solely for function, the arms will be a problem with kids getting in and out of the bench, it will constantly be dragged forwards and back from the table to let them out and in, and you will either ruin your floor or get sick of the noise, perhaps both :-)

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know the sofa sounds strange.

Do you remember the magazine House and Garden? Dominique Browning wrote and editor note at the beginning of the magazine. She wrote one years and years ago about dragging a sofa in to her kitchen and how the dynamics in the room changed. For some reason even though I was single at the time that stuck with me. :)

The kids are more relaxed. When we have family over 4 cousins squish on there and have a good time eating. It just really is hard to keep clean with such little ones so I figured maybe the windsor would be a better approach.

I think that the top part will stick up above the counter which I didnt think I would like but DH seems to really like.

I always thought of a windsor chair as a neutral style, but maybe I am wrong.

I was afraid this looked kind of like a foyer bench.

I guess I will check it out. They also have a rug for my MB and a Baker sofa that look interesting in the same auction.

It has been a long time since I have been to an auction so either way it should be fun. :)

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I cannot imagine trying to sit upright at the table from a sofa, unless it had firm (no cushions) seat. You would have the same arm problem with a sofa that kswl pointed out. I agree that a no-arm bench would be my choice.
    Diane

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

A long, armless bench would be my choice, too. It's a compromise, perhaps, between a loveseat and the wooden Windsor bench. (Which I definitely would not put in that kitchen.) I like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining room bench

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That bench would look amazing in my dining area! But I'm not so sure about yours. Your picture is very difficult to see. Do you have another that you can post?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Boop, I like the bench but that is just because I would do it for fun. Remind me where you got your drapes, Love them for you and a DIL who has similar style and taste as you. .

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I definitely want a back and some kind of arms. It isnt very comfy without those. I wish I could find that written piece. Oh and I can't do a window bench because that is a sliding door.

:) Errant. Are you near NY?

this is another old shot.

I can try to take a pic later. not sure I have any better pics that are more current.

What kind of table would go with this? I am not in love with my table. I do like the corner cabinets and they are now mounted on the wall not sitting on the floor.

I like this... Can't wait to make the walls lighter. Possibly the trim.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Patricia! Those are my favorite drapes. I am planning to put them back up soon in another room :) I got them off ebay about 7 years ago. 6 HUGE panels for $75. What a bargain. ;) :) For me it was! I bought them for this little guest room in my last house.....

I have had a really hard time switching from the formality (crown moldings, sheer size of the house, trim work, large rooms etc) of that house to kids and the casual, no architectural interest and smaller size of this house. :) I am still working on it!

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:23

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Nope, I'm at the opposite end in CA :( I'll post a pic of my dining area (in progress) so you can see what I'm talking about :)

This post was edited by Errant on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 0:00

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I like it!
    But I think you seem to constantly want to go full out boho and are afraid....I like the sofa too, a lot, but the cushions need replacing and think regarding both pieces that you need to go with what you really like, put an orange and pink kaleidoscope cushion on the bench if you get it, put some crazy pillows on the sofa.....

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Boop, I remember when you bought them. I love them as much today as I did then.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well sadly the arms were too high on the windsor bench.

I fell in love with the sofa above and the estimate was $200-$300. It was Baker, in perfect condition with velvet fabric and down cushions. It went for $3400! Not to me. :)

The rug was just a bit too big for our room at 17ft 6 in so I did not bid on it. It went for $400.

I did end up with this painting which I needed like a whole in the wall. :) It reminds me of my boys sleigh riding together

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love the painting. Put a Gordon Setter in there to chase the boys down the hill, and it would be my sons :)

It's a shame the sofa went so high, it was really pretty!