Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catpurrson_gw

Please tell me how to use drapery pins!

catpurrson
15 years ago

I have 96" long, flat panel, lined silk curtains that I need to hang. I am going for a very finished look, so I would rather not use clips, unless there's no other alternative. My question is, what type/size of drapery pins should I be looking for - there seem to be so many kinds, and I just can't figure out which one would be best - and how are they used? Most of the ones I've seen on the web have a pointy end that (I guess) goes up into the curtain. Wouldn't the weight of the drape make the pin stick out at the top? Or is there some other trick to it?

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

long, flat panel, lined silk curtains
    Does that mean they are not pinch pleated or otherwise pleated?

I am going for a very finished look, so I would rather not use clips, unless there's no other alternative.
    What do you mean by finished look?

what type/size of drapery pins should I be looking for
    I haven't shopped drapery pins in a very long time, so this info could be very outdated. I know of two types of drapery pins - the one piece pin and then the type that is vaguely shaped like a fork to give a pinch pleat. The one piece pin works with a drape that already has the pleats sewed into them. The fork-type works to turn a flat drapery into a pinch pleat.

Most of the ones I've seen on the web have a pointy end that (I guess) goes up into the curtain.
    Yes, pointy end into the curtain.

• metromom
    15 years ago

embees, thank you! I've been wondering the same thing (thanks, Catpurrson for asking it!) and your answer is very helpful. Is there any sort of a guideline for how many pins/rings to use per panel - i.e. how far apart do you generally space them?

Also, do I need a special type of rings in order to use the hooks with them?

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

call me silly but what does "pinhooks inserted into round rings." i'm not getting that.

Good thread!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Below is the type of ring I like to use....minus the clip. You can remove the clip and then use the eye-hook at the bottom of the ring to hook your drapery pin into. I believe that is what embees is referring to.

The drapery pins work best on fabric that has lining/backing in the header of the drape.

Here is a link that might be useful: rings

• embees
    15 years ago

I used the type of rings that annz linked to, and also just removed the clips. (This is because I am cheap, and already had them on hand, LOL). They also sell the rings with just the little metal loops. If you're planning to put the pins into loops (rather than hooking the pins directly onto a traverse rod or something), it's better to use the pins that are triangular at the top - it will keep them from sliding forward/backward. The pins do work better if the header of the drape has some "stiffness" to it, that's a good point. Look at the drapes you're trying to hang, it should be pretty obvious. You can hang them even if there isn't a lining/backer, but they may look a little saggy.

(Serious sewing people look away: If you want to add some stiffness, you can buy iron-on interfacing at the craft store. Cut pieces to the height of your header, and iron them on the back of the drape. For a step above that, unpick the seam, iron the interfacing on the inside, and re-sew. If you ever change your mind, you can re-iron the interfacing and remove while it's still hot.)

The closer together you put the pins/rings, the more "folds" you'll have in your fabric when the drapes are open. Fewer pins/rings means that there will be more fabric to stick out from the wall when the drapes are open, and the possibility of sagging between rings. I don't think there's a "wrong" way - whatever looks best to you. With a pre-pleated panel, you're obligated to put one at each pleat; a flat panel lets you adjust it to your liking.

Personally, I like having an odd number of hanging points. For the panels in the picture above, I put 7 on each panel. Since they were about 52" wide, that meant there was a ring on each end, then spaced about 8-9" between. It probably could have used 9 per panel, but I only had 14 total (see above w/r/t cheap and lazy) :-D

To space them, I installed the pins in this way (no measuring tape required!). Put one in each end, about 1-2" from the actual end. Fold panel in half, width-wise, and place a pin at the center fold. On the right side (defined as "between the center pin and the right edge pin"), fold the panel into 1/3s so you'll end up with two folds - like you do a letter; place a pin at each fold. Repeat this on the left side. This will give you 7, reasonably-even spaced pins, with no measuring. To do 9 pins, you would fold each side into 1/4s - i.e. in half twice - to give you two edge pins, one center pin, and three on each side.

... I can't believe I've just written an entire novella about drapery pins.

LOL

• catpurrson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, embees...your detailed replies have been SO helpful!

• dbromwell_philasd_org
    12 years ago

I made curtains how do you put the curtain rings that have no clips on the curtains

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner