Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Update and question about SW Sundew

nutsaboutplants
9 years ago

Folks, here is an update for those of you who may remember my dilemma on buying a bigger home. We have decided to move but to a house that's not substantially bigger than our current home. The new home will be about 3600 sq. ft. Thank you all for the sound input I got.

The new home is hard wood everywhere except the bathrooms. We are getting the floors refinished (sanded, stained and sealed). And the entire house painted, walls, trims, doors, etc. In our current home we have beautiful,heart of pine floors, broad planks nailed down. The new home has nice oak floors but nothing extraordinary. I'd like a dark stain, like Sherwin williams classic cherry, in high gloss. I'd like a warm yellow neutral for the walls but not too yellow. I'm looking at SW Sundew. The trim will be high gloss white.

Does anyone have their floors in SW Classic Cherry. If you do, do you like it?Can you please post pictures? Same request for pictures and feedback from anyone who has SW Sundew on their walls.

Any other recommendations on colors for floor stain and walls? Dark stain for the floors and a warm neutral for the walls.

Finally, any input on flat wall paint vs. egg shell vs. semi- gloss?

I really need some help and appreciate any input/recommendations/pictures. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I wouldn't consider any paint with the word "sun" in it as a neutral. If it looks yellow on the chip, it's going to amplify on the wall and could be very yellow when the outside light tints it. I sampled about a dozen creams, trying to avoid yellow, and finally went into the whites. I used SW Antique White, and while there's no yellow in the formula, on bright days it goes from French vanilla to soft yellow. With a cherry floor, the effect could be a red and yellow room with something like Sundew.

Pick up the Whites and Brights brochure from SW. It shows forty warm whites. You can clearly see the undertones when comparing them next to each other. Pick the most neutral to start and do an Image search for examples of rooms.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks May Flowers. You make a very good point. I do want a cheery and non-boring neutral, with peach/cream undertones, but not necessarily a yellow. Any recommendations or pictures? Anyone? Thanks.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

When I googled SW Sundew this pertinent link came up. Scroll down a little to see the story about SW Sundew and how it looked on the author's walls.

Are you sure you want dark, glossy floors? Many here will tell you everything shows up on them--such as pet hair!

Here is a link that might be useful: Avoid color mistakes

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Junco! Yes I saw that warning about sundew and went back to the paint chips. Looking at Sand Beach (SW 7529) and Chop Sticks (SW 7575). Anyone has any feedback on these two? Or other recommendations for a cheery neutral?

About the dark glossy floors, I *think* I want them. No pets here (I love animals but am severely allergic to cats and dogs) and no small children. Currently we have heart of pine, which I really like, with polyurethane with a glossy finish. I know that I can't get the same look on oak, but I do like dark glossy hardwood floors. I'm thinking that I may go with bright cherry (which is lighter than classic cherry). Thanks for the input.

• AlexHinstDesigns
    9 years ago

What color is your furniture? What types of wood do you have in your furniture? The design color wheel has shifted from tans to grays for the next few years. If you visit model homes you'll see wall colors like Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, a lovely warm gray that goes with everything. Maybe cherry wood floors are still popular in your part of the country, or maybe you would like a more neutral floor finish. Visit some high-end model homes to see if the finishes they're using appeal to you. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing Paint Colors