Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

What size of vanity for my powder room?

Sara_in_philly
12 years ago

I like update my powder room, change the pedestal sink to a vessel sink: a dark wood vanity with a white vessel sink.

This is what it looks like now. The space is 31"w X 24" D, the pedestal sink is 23" wide and 19.5" D. (That was a big dog on the floor, just in case you wonder:-))

I would like to replace the pedestal sink with a white vessel sink and faucet like this:

Of course, the mirror and other hardware will also be updated.

My question is what size of vanity should I use? Should I use a vanity that fill that space (31" wide) or should use a vanity about the size of the current sink (around 23" wide)?

I am enclosing a diagram of the powder room here to give you a sense of the dimension.

Comments (6)

• sloyder
    12 years ago

I would use one that fills the space

• les917
    12 years ago

Assuming your walls are square (which is a very dangerous assumption) you should be able to get a 30" vanity standard, so no special orders necessary, and I think visually the space would appear larger if the vanity filled it like that.

But I would take the time to measure the width of the space in the back and in the front, so you don't have any ugly surprises, given that you are doing a close fit.

• Sara_in_philly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you sloyd and les917! How about depth? If I have a choice, should I do 24" deep to fill the whole space (31X24) or use a 19"-21" deep vanity to use up less space?(The current sink is 19.5" deep)

Les917, thank you for reminding me to measure the wall! Didn't think of it myself:-(

• sloyder
    12 years ago

All depends how big in diameter the vessel is, and spacing for the spout? Some I looked at online for a 30" vanity, the depth was 20"

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Bigger is better because of what is held below and because the space on the sides would be completely wasted otherwise.
    Make sure you measure your sink to get the depth of it. Of course, you could put the faucet off to the side as well if you get a wide vanity. Our vessel's faucet is off in the back "corner" (an oval sink). I did not want it in the middle because there was more room for it when it was offset. A round sink would be even more pronounced. I also like the look of it set off the center.
    OTOH, dh came home the day it was installed and hated it, yet does not seem to care now (a few months later). In fact, he never really mentioned it again. He was surprised/disappointed I chose that location yet usually tells me to do what I want, so he could not argue the point much since it was already done. It did not occur to him that there was any other choice but midpoint.

• Sara_in_philly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sloyd: I was thinking of 14-16" round vessel sink. I know online vanities are about the size you listed. Since the space is 24" deep, I am just wondering whether I should make vanity deeper than 19 or 20".

dianalo: I am with you when it comes to the placement of faucet. I always intent to put faucet on the back "corner". I never thought of oval vessel sink though, come to think of it, it can be very pretty. Why did you pick oval sink?

At the beginning, I just presumed the vanity is going to be 30-31" wide to fill the space. Then I mentioned it to DH, he said he always thought the width is going to be 20 some inches like the one I have now. After getting 3 votes for filling the width, there is no question we are going to fill the width now. Thank you all for your replies!