Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Is it ok to break up art?

Adella Bedella
9 years ago

I bought a three piece art set from Overstock. I like it because it is bold and colorful. It doesn't work where I originally wanted to put it. I need opinions on whether it would be look ok to put it up as two pieces and one. The first piece would be by itself. The other two pieces would be together. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 piece art

Comments (14)

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

My first thought is sure........why not?

Curious where do you envision using the third piece in relation to the other two?

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

I'm going to put them in my master bathroom. The two together will go above the tub.The single is going to go on the opposite wall between the two master closets. The room is long, but with the set-up there aren't a lot of places it will fit.

Its inexpensive art. So far the bathroom hasn't been super steamy. If it gets ruined, I'm not going to be out much.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

My design skills are suspect, to feel free to ignore my opinion.

I think they should all be together where they are components of one larger piece. Broken up it looks like you bought a couple of the same thing and then just scattered them around. It lessens the impact.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

They do look better together...

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

While the do have an impact together, these certainly are a excellent example of ones that could easily look like similar but free standing pieces so a pair of two and separate third I definitely think would work.

Think few 3-pieces could separate as well as yours will.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I love art with a passion. I minored in it in college and I've collected it for the past 31 years. This is only my opinion, but here it is: You can do anything with your art that makes YOU happy! If the three pieces . . . called a Triptych (trip-tick) don't fit into the space, use two and hang the third where that one works, even in the garage or a closet. Two pieces painted to be hung together are called a Diptych, BTW. Hanging the third one close by would be optimal, but I promise you that the Art-Nazis will not come to your house and write you up whatever you decide to do (LOL). Seriously though, art in any form is created to make you, the buyer, happy and to feel good. So, I say go for it and hang two of them in your bathroom and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere they'll create in there.
    Lynn

• peony4
    9 years ago

Great advice, Lynn! Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate photography in "triptych" because one shot seems never enough to capture the moment.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I think separating these three will work out just fine.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Try it. If you like it, keep it.

If you don't like it, try something else.

Your walls, your art, your choices.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I side with the "Do what YOU want crowd"!! Particularly in your PRIVATE bedroom/bathroom. There is no reason not to.

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I took an art class a couple of years ago and was given the advice never to hang art in the bathroom and the room was to designed around whatever the art was.

I hung it last night. Will leave it there and make sure I like it before I change anything. It's hard because the design of this house has been difficult to decorate around. The walls and room sizes seem awkward. The actual flow of the house is ok.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

No art in the bathroom? How is a bathroom to be decorated?

I have photos in my bathroom, but they are beautiful photos of trees, which I consider to be art.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oh, I was hoping you'd have shared photos of them adellabedella.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

"I took an art class a couple of years ago and was given the advice never to hang art in the bathroom and the room was to designed around whatever the art was."

,,, and laughter was heard ringing throughout the halls of GardenWeb.

I suppose they meant that valuable art, art that might be damaged by moisture, should not be hung in a bathroom. But really, anyone who has that kind of art will hang it where it can be appreciated, and not damaged.

Or maybe not.

Years ago I was in the home of a wealthy art collector. He was also an eccentric, playful man. He had a large Louise Nevelson sculpture in his living room. He dragged me over to it and encouraged me to touch it, open all the little doors, see how it worked. So we played with this million-dollar sculpture, giggling the whole time.

He is my hero.