Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For mudrooms and entry areas-which natural fiber rug?

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:13

I am looking for a natural fiber durable rug to cover some peachy beige tile in my mudroom area. It is where everyone comes in and out of our home. I remember someone saying sisal stains but not sure about jute, seagrass or something else that would be good for this area. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For mudrooms and entry areas-which natural fiber rug?

I'd consider an indoor/outdoor rug instead. Plow & Hearth as a wonderful selection. They're soooo easy to clean, they dry quickly, etc.

o

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd go for seagrass; however, I'd try to get a pattern that's rather flat, so that dirt doesn't get embedded.

Or go with wool. I have Orientals in my hallway, and they look still great. Just vacuum, and I even washed the runner.

o

I have a very durable rug in my mudroom, it is rubber backed polypropylene. I live in Maine and we have an official 5th season-mud season. Plus it is fun- its called the pencil chicken! I saw a similar one( a different David Milliken rug design) in our town's music center- where people are tromping in and out all day in wet muddy boots and I fell in love.
I can hose it off and it looks brand new!!

Here is a link that might be useful: milliken rug

o

I have a wool rug from Pottery Barn at my front door. But from my garage I have a dirt trapper rug from Plow and Hearth. I would stay away from jute and sisal if the area may bring in mud, dirt, etc

o

Jute== awful. Maybe this is TMI, but my dog vomited on it and you can see the stain spots that didn't come out; all mud tracked on it leaves a trace. I finally relegated it to the garage.

o

Wool with a pattern as mentioned above...easy to shampoo occasionally and wears super well. I have one in my mudroom. We do also have an old rug in the garage before you get into the mud room...not sure what it is, but think it's also wool.

o

Thanks to you all for the input. I actually was thinking about a seagrass rug but with the cloth border, that may not be practical. I'm going to look at some braided rugs too. I want something that looks nice since its the entry where everyone comes into but it also has to be durable.

o

They have indoor-outdoor rugs that mimic seagrass or sisal...that may be your best bet!

o

Thank you sueb20. I'll check those out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here