Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Pls help weigh in on exterior paint colors! Pics

Pipdog
11 years ago

Hi all,

We're picking out paint colors for our exterior and are stuck in an indecision gridlock for months. I'd like to go from a white house with black shutters and a red door to something a little softer and more beachy (light gray house, white shutters/garage door and a soft green door). My concern is that a soft gray might be too much gray given the gray shake roof and the driveway. Would it be gray overload?

If anyone has any photoshop skills I would love to see how a light gray looks with a light blue/green door and white shutters -- I'm having a really hard time visualizing the exterior color and don't know how to use the software that shows the house in a different color.

The colors we are considering are 1) BM Gray Owl; 2) BM Revere Pewter and possibly 3) SW Ancient Marble. I imagine the shutters and garage door would be BM White Dove. The front door we have chosen BM Whythe Blue or BM Woodlawn Blue. We'd also paint the red brick at the foundation the color of the house.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

and the front door:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• bindersbee
    11 years ago

I am working on a house for our local "Parade of Homes" that is painted a soft blue-gray with a lovely YELLOW door. A barely-blue gray color might give you the gray color you want while not becoming too monochromatic?

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I actually really love the white you have now! It's fresh and a nice contrast with the roof. It would also look good with the blue door, though I love red you have.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

A friend just had her home that has some red brick on it - its a ranch like yours painted a very pretty green. It's a soft green and she did cream accents. It looks beautiful! Maybe someone on here can photo shop for you!

• emagineer
    11 years ago

I love your home as is. What draws me though is the carriage doors on the garage. Which tells me there are many other details not seen overall. I would look at carriage door pics on the net and see what they have done with the rest of the home in colors and details. Add some more iron details to the garage. Something I'd like to do, but haven't figured out the right way with a 3 window door.

Here is a link for photos. Most shown will also have overall photos of the house they are installed on. Many colors to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: House colors with carriage doors.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! emagineer and tinan, I also like the white, but I think we are ready for a change and a white house is hard to keep clean in the city. I think a light gray would show a little less dirt and dust. thanks for the link emagineer, it gave me some ideas!

jeannie, would love to see photos of the soft green house. i hadn't considered green since we have a lot of green in the landscaping.

bindersbee, i love yellow doors! I think that might be too bold for my partner, though. He tends to run on the more conservative side of things when it comes to paint. :)

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Pip, your house is so charming and inviting as it is! I bet you've seen photos of houses with the colors you're considering, but here's a link with one (scroll down) just in case. It's a soft and wonderful combo. I think it would look very pretty on your house. Since your roof is deeper grey I wouldn't worry about too much grey.

Here is a link that might be useful: grey house, blue door

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

In my experience, which is admittedly limited in terms of exterior painting, colors used on the exterior appear lighter than you expect. Gray Owl is such a pale gray, it may not look that different from the white you have now.

I just helped someone choose paint colors for her home, and she decided on Nantucket Gray with charcoal gray shutters (can't remember the specific color but it was a warm dark gray, almost black) and a brick red door. It came out great. She had Nantucket Gray in her dining room and yet on exterior, it looked like a completely different color.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, lazydaisy and sueb! I really like some of those combos in the link lazy provided. Sue, I think you're right about paint looking different on the inside vs. the exterior - we'll probably try samples of the paint on the exterior to see how it rides first.

Can anyone help with photoshopping Gray Owl on our house to see how it might look?

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Pip, you might try starting a new thread with "Photoshopping help needed" in the title. Good luck!

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Hi Pip,

Have you tried Owen Cornings website called design eye? You can upload a picture of your house and try different color options. You can also use one of their sample house pictures. Good luck!

Carol

• sarmy
    11 years ago

Hi Pip,
    did you ever pick a color, I am searching for some inspiration for an exterior gray, curious to see what you decided and if you have a picture!
    thx!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like the colors on lazydaisy's example, and if you choose those, I would also paint or colorwash your brick in the gray you choose for the house. Otherwise, I think they will jump out and interfere with your scheme.