Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Aunt's house, a MCM classic

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 17:09

I want to share this with people who will appreciate it. My aunt and uncle built this house in the early/mid 50's and I recall it well from our visits when I was young,

The restoration looks nice (except that room with the lights on the ceiling!). It looks like the downstairs is almost an in-law unit, and that galley kitchen wasn't there, just a bar in the family room. The site slopes down from the wall where the piano (same place that Aunt Marie had her piano!), the DR and the breakfast area of the kitchen is, which is a couple of feet below grade, and then the other side of the LR opens onto a lovely deck.

(I don't recall the area under the deck, perhaps it was an addition?)

I was just poking around and found this when it was on the market a couple of years ago, and my cousins were happy to see the pictures. Brought back lots of happy memories for all of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Aunt's house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Aunt's house, a MCM classic

It looks like, save the beautiful upgrades, one that I knew as a child.

o

Almost any house with that many bookshelves will draw me in. This seems like a very livable version of MCM. I didn't quite understand the two kitchens or the room with tons of lights on the ceiling, though. Are the two kitchens back to back?

o

I loved it, thanks for sharing.

o

The galley kitchen wasn't there before, but I assume it's downstairs off the family room. Perhaps an in-law arrangement or people who did massive entertaining?

I have no explanation for the room with the lights....

o

I like it a lot.

Are the dining room and kitchen eat-in area backed up to a bunch of rocks? It's kind artistic to have the windows facing the rock.

The room with all the light bulbs is interesting, it looks like it's some sort of high 1980s interpretation of something. It may be hard to get bulbs for that soon.

o

Love the house and the beautiful site even more.

o

Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

o

Swooning here. Love the house! Wish I could find one like it here. Also, thanks for linking to the listing. I always like to see where places are and what the market is!

o

I just love it! I love that era built homes.

o

I. LOVE. IT.

I was getting kind of a Japanese feel before I read about the architect. Stunning! That dining room, that rock wall, that everything.

o

Wow!

o

I had trouble leaving the living room.

I love this house.

o

I absolutely love this home!. It's beautiful!

o

It's lovely.

o

The wall to the left is a little below grade, just a couple of feet, and then there is a retaining wall in stone 3 or 4 feet behind that. Then it drops off to that lovely deck.

The architect, Yamasaki, also did the World Trade Center, He designed another house for my aunt and uncle but they decided that they didn't like that lot, and so commissioned this one.

I was so pleased to see how much looks original, like the wall of suspended cabinets from DR to piano. The kitchen looks good, SubZero and Thermadore were in stainless way back then (for those who think it's just a current fad!).

My aunt was a fan of everything from Cranbrook, which is just down the street, and the house was filled with Saarinen goodies and other wonderful furnishings.

o

Lovely! That half round table is cool!

o

"The architect, Yamasaki, also did the World Trade Center, He designed another house for my aunt and uncle but they decided that they didn't like that lot, and so commissioned this one."

<----I sincerely hope I am in this position some day.

o

MCM has never been my favorite style altho this house could change that! It's really, really nice. TFS

o

Love, love, love! Even the kitchen and I have a hard time finding MCM homes with a decent kitchen.

Reminds me of my great-aunt's home that my dad inherited and sold back when I was in my early 20s, I could not afford to buy the house. I remember crying when the house was sold, my Dad has only recently has come to regret selling the home. It was also a custom home, designed by my great-aunt and on a wonderful piece of property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here