Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

This bed for a boy's room? How hard to paint?

Oaktown
9 years ago

Two of my boys are in need of new beds since they broke their IKEA beds (in this case, probably due more to bed quality than the destructive abilities of a 5 and a 7 year old). Do you think the bed below might work in a boy's room? Would it be hard to paint it black or navy? Or do you know of a lookalike in black or navy? I like that it is a platform bed, simple but has some ornament, and that it has no footboard. Would like to be under $1000 per bed. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

[Beds[(https://www.houzz.com/products/beds-prbr0-br~t_547) by Golf Kids & Nursery The Land of Nod

Comments (24)

• Jules
    9 years ago

Sure, that bed would look cute in navy or black. But if you're going to paint it anyway, why not try to find a used set of beds on Craigslist for a lot less money?

I find so many cute beds for sale on CL.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jujubean, I did look at our local CL the past couple of days, not much in the way of twins but plenty of IKEA beds :-( Someone was selling a Pottery Barn bed for $450 about 2 hours away -- so not really a deal.

Unfortunately I don't like shopping so it would be great just to get something and be done with it if possible. I wish I were more crafty or artistically inclined but I am not. This is the kind of thing I can't just spray paint, right, it would need to be sanded and prepped, etc.? DH says if we buy white beds they will just stay white because I will never get around to painting and he's probably right. Wish I was more with it like many of you here.

Would like to have beds soon, but they can sleep on their mattresses on the floor for a while.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm trying to envision those beds in white but with "boy bedding" and I'm having trouble doing so - honestly, they do look a little feminine to me "as is".

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I agree that if you're going to paint the beds, go for used. I have 5 and 9 yo boys -- time is precious and hard to come by! If you can hold out at all, you will probably find something on CL. Can their mattresses just sit on the floor for a few weeks/months while you look for used beds?

Otherwise I like captain's style beds for kids, mainly because we have a small house. I considered ordering beds from these places, but found matching oak captain's on CL that we painted navy, lucky timing!

I remember looking at this site, thought the beds seemed nice:

Here is a link that might be useful: Humble Abode

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What if you just got them each something like this: see link

Here is a link that might be useful: twin platform bed w/drawer

• Fori
    9 years ago

Room & Board has some not terribly expensive (though definitely not IKEA) metal beds in cute colors (or manly colors, if necessary) as well as more normal wooden ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/kids/beds

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, you're right, they can just be on mattresses for a bit --

I think my problem was that I was browsing the internet for low post beds and saw a photo I really liked, and now am kind of hung up on it. Room and Board is a possibility as we probably will get some other furniture from there. I had been thinking more cottage/country style for the bedrooms, though.

I probably was too harsh on IKEA in my original post. The bulk of the furniture in our house is from IKEA. Our third boy has the Hemnes daybed which is great (except that the drawers are junk collectors). DH really would like to upgrade some things when we move -- like the dining set that I drove 5 hrs to buy at the Burbank IKEA 20 years ago, that really has seen better days.

Sorry for the ramble. I am a bit envious of those of you who have a "good eye." Been lurking here for a while trying to learn something.

Here is a link that might be useful: low post bed

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I was watching an old episode of a Sarah Richardson show the other day, and she used a bed almost exactly like that in a "boys" room. It wasn't for a specific boy, but it looked good with a green and brown striped fabric.

But I would just leave them on mattresses until you find something you love.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Obviously platform beds do not have a box spring. I know your boys are young, but as they grow and become teenagers, they need the support of a box spring.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

That bed could easily be sprayed a dark color. My kids used bunk beds their father made--no box springs and they are all healthy pain free adults. The box spring 'need' is debatable in our experience. We were recently shopping for a mattress and I have to say I was dismayed at the furniture quality that is out there for sale. I suppose I am spoiled--husband makes most of our furniture..but from what I saw beds in general are designed to fall apart with mild use!! I think careful shopping on CL for an OLDER bunk bed set would be the way to find QUALITY furniture. Any solid wood piece you find no matter how dinged up has already proven it can stand up and can be painted. When I remember the rough housing that went on in and around the three sets of bunk beds my parents had today's offerings would never hold up. Those sets are still in use today!!! It isn't only IKEA that makes weak beds!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

$1000 per bed??? Yikes!

I guess I really lucked out at the estate sale around the corner from me. We got these headboards for $25 each. Then we bought the hollywood frame to go with them for about $35 each.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

My now 20 yo DS had a white IKEA bed for many years. He moved his bedroom to a room with low ceiling so now has the BS/Mattress on the floor.

Anyway, the point is he had a white bed for many years and it never looked girlish in his room. The room was always blue and with red accents and lots of boy stuff in the room. The theme of the room was to look like a hockey rink. I would paint the walls before painting the bed.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I've never had a box spring bed in my whole life..... in fact, we removed the box spring and added a lattice frame before one could buy them in the US.

I'd say to wait for a Craigslist bed and paint it.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay -- I was getting a bit worried about the box spring. I will do some reading up. Personally I find the boys' platform/lattice beds more comfortable than our box spring but I am a small person. DH is large and looks like at least one of the boys will follow suit.

LOL DH now is worried that if I wait for Craigslist then the boys will still be on the floor when they leave for college. This is probably why we've ended up with so much IKEA/Costco furniture, because both places (now) are close and convenient! Well, if he doesn't mind me throwing $ at it just to be done, we'll see. I do still like the shape of the Land of Nod bed in the first post.

Thank you all!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I love the Fort Beds on the Room and Board site! They would look so cute in red or navy in a boy's room! One thing about decorating kids' rooms is that tastes change as they get older, so you do want to keep that in mind. Of course, you can always sell them on CL when they outgrow them-ha! I did that with my son's bunk beds.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, there are no box springs in many (most?) European countries, including the Netherlands, and they have the tallest people in the world. It's just that Americans aren't used to slats. You can always reinforce the slats if they seem to skimpy, or get the laminated ones because they will have more give when there's jumping on the bed.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was surprised that the part of the IKEA beds that broke was the frame itself (the rails cracked) rather than the slats!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I don't have a boy - or $450 just lying around - but I'd buy these twins in a heartbeat! They're gorgeous, don't need any paint, just a mattress.

Here is a link that might be useful: amazing twins

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tomatofreak, I LOVE those, but that is almost 800 mi away!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Oaktown, I know; happens to me frequently. I find something I love and it's on the other side of the world. This is, too, but I thought you might like it; it's masculine, doesn't need paint - and look at that price!

Here is a link that might be useful: a definite boy bed

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

And now for my best tip! I bought this on the advice of a woman in thee HD paint department. She said she'd used it and swore by it. She was right; it's terrific as a primer. Just clean thoroughly, no sanding (wheeeeee!!!) and then paint. Once taken apart, I don't think the bed you showed would be that difficult.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glidden Gripper

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I just bought the Giselle iron bed from Overstock for my DGS last week, It was a touch over 200 with free shipping. It is an iron bed but has a foot board so it won't work for you but it looks wonderful in his room and is classic enough that he can use it through his teen years. It include the head board, foot board and frame. A handsome and economical choice.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still no beds. Hayden2, thanks for the suggestion. I laughed about the mention of decorator rooms. The boys' rooms (and furniture) are covered with their stickers, signs, artwork, etc. they have definitely made their rooms their own!

So the boys actually have no interest in choosing the beds. The other week we were driving home and saw a warehouse-type place with a banner for a big furniture sale so I pulled in -- the 9 and 7 year old plopped down in chairs by the door and only the 5 year old was willing to walk in with me. I asked him which bed he liked and he said "it doesn't matter mom as long as it is not broken. Can we go home now?" :-)

At this rate I will be happy if we get their beds before Thanksgiving.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Check this one out, nice simple, and dark, great prices

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed