Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A rug for a cramped space

Posted by Selcier (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:56

We moved into our new home a few weeks ago after a lot of DIY renovations. So as you will see in the pictures, not everything is complete yet!!

However, the next thing on the need-to-buy list is a rug for the living room. We spend most of our time in this room. And, while I love the hardwoods, A rug is more comfortable.

Lots of the pieces in this room will be changed out. Their will be a new Victorian gas insert and mantle. Also, we will being replacing the hulking coffee table, end tables and lamps. The room is missing crown molding, other moldings and over head lighting.

The couch, chairs, TV (even though it is simple enormous), TV stand and secretary are all staying. So the rug will need to work with these items.

I'm looking for help in size, color pattern and even shape (as maybe a rectangle isn't best for this area). I think I am leaning towards traditional.

At the moment, this is the blandest room in the house. I like color. Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A rug for a cramped space

from the other side of the room

o

oh, wow, such a pretty room. I'd get a yellow rug.

o

I looked through a ton of rugs for you and even did some photoshopping. I am beginning to think you should get a solid beige rug. Maybe something like this.

What are the dimensions of your seating area? Would you like to have the rug under the entire seating area or just the front feet of the couch?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

o

Right now, it's so very neutral, you can go with any color you want. I suggest getting some design inspiration from houzz.com or look for a design seed (design-seed.com) or even magazine pics, or artwork you may or want to get. That will help send you in the right color direction for the room. Then, even after the rug, as you select other items for the room, you will have a color direction to help you.

o

Here is an example from Houzz of patterned chairs and a patterned rug. Might give you some ideas.

o

I like Aktillery's idea of an oriental rug in a reddish tone.

o

I think I found a good rug that would allow for color and go with the patterned chairs.

Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Link

o

Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I really do love the orientals but the cream is also beautiful. (is that because those thick cream shafs are so in right now??)

Atkillery, thanks for the inspiration pictue. I was getting no where finding an Ikat with an oriental. And I do really like the one you picked out! I am still Unsure how how large it should be. It seems like there is so much in the room already. Normally I would want the front feet of the chairs and the sofa o be on the rug but I think that size may be too big here.

o

Maybe a 6X9?

o

9x12 so the furniture sits on the rug.

o

I love your room and think an oriental in coordinating colors will look stunning! I have to say bigger is better IRT rugs. I would say at least 9x12. I find a too small rug actually makes the space seem busier and smaller. Can not wait to see your house reveal, so far I am loving what I have glimpsed!

o

Great point Roarah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here